Private Equity M&A
- Lindsay Goldberg
- in its acquisition of WoodSpring Hotels and WoodSpring Hotels in the sale of its franchise business to Choice Hotels International and corporate-owned hotels to an affiliate of Brookfield
- as a major shareholder of Crane Currency, Inc., in Crane’s sale to Crane & Co. Inc.
- in its acquisition of Big Ass Solutions
- in its formation of Bedrock Industries, Bedrock’s acquisition of Stelco Inc. (f/k/a US Steel Canada), and the subsequent IPO of Stelco
- in its formation of Golden West Packaging Group LLC and acquisition of Heritage Solutions, Inc., Capital Corrugated, Inc., PackageOne, Inc., Packaging Innovators Corporation and their co-owned captive sheet feeder, Cal Sheets, LLC
- in its recapitalization and sale of Dealer Tire, LLC
- as a major shareholder of Aviv REIT, Inc., in Aviv’s $3 billion merger with Omega Healthcare Investors, Inc.
- in its tank terminals joint venture with Odfjell SE
- in its sale of Ambulatory Services of America to US Renal Care
- Providence Strategic Growth Partners
- in its formation of Government Brands Holdings, and the acquisitions of Sturgis Web Services Corporation, nCourt, LLC, Value Payments Systems, LLC and eGovernment Solutions, LLC
- in its formation of Data Brands Holdings, and the acquisition of Formstack, LLC and WebMerge, LLC
- in its recapitalization of BlueStar Sports (n/k/a Stack Sports) and associated roll-up transactions, together with the sale of Blue Star Sports to Genstar Capital
- in its investment in Pineapple Payments LLC and acquisition of Payline Data Services LLC
- in its acquisition of Next Glass, Inc.
- in its acquisition of Pixel Labs, LLC (n/k/a Assembly)
- in its acquisition of ShootProof, LLC
- in its acquisition of SignUp Genius
- in its acquisition of YourCause, YourCause’s acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Good Done Great, and in its sale to Blackbaud, Inc.
- in its acquisition of Abacus Law
- in its acquisition of ThreatConnect, Inc. and ThreatConnect’s acquisition of Nehemiah Security LLP
- in its sale of a majority stake in Burning Glass Technologies
- Kainos Capital
- in its acquisition of Olde Thompson, LLC and Olde Thompson’s acquisition of Gel Spice Company Inc.
- in its acquisition of Country Fresh LLC, and Country Fresh’s acquisition of Sun Rich Fresh Foods and Tiffany Gate
- in its sale of Trilliant Food and Nutrition, LLC to Blackstone
- in its acquisition and disposition of Fempro, a leading manufacturer of hygiene products in Canada
- in its combination of its portfolio companies: Kettle Cuisine, Bonewerks CulinArte' and Savory Creations, into one business operating as Kettle Cuisine; and in Kettle Cuisine’s acquisition of NORPAC Foods, Inc.
- in its acquisition of good2grow LLC
- TA Associates
- in its acquisition of Global Software and insightsoftware.com
- in its acquisition of Professional Datasolutions and associated roll-up transactions, together with the sale of Professional Datasolutions to Genstar Capital
- Aimbridge Hospitality
- in its acquisition of ONE Lodging’s US assets
- in its acquisition of TMI Hospitality
- in its sale to Advent International
- ORIX Capital Partners
- in its acquisition of Peak Utility Services Group, Inc.
- in its acquisition of NTI Connect
- in the sale by its portfolio company, Hoffman Southwest Corporation, of all of Hoffman's Roto-Rooter franchise operations to Roto-Rooter Services Company
- Advent International and its portfolio companies in its transactions involving TrueCoach, ZingFit LLC, Mariana Tek Corporation, BrandBot LLC and Triib, Inc.
- Berkshire Partners, in its joint acquisition with New Balance of Adidas’ Rockport unit
- JPMorgan Chase in connection with the bulk sale of approximately 50% of the portfolio companies held by the investment funds managed by One Equity Partners to an investor group led by Lexington Partners and AlpInvest Partners, and the related spin-out of One Equity Partners into an independent private equity firm
- Apollo Global Management in connection with the contribution by AP Alternative Assets of substantially all of its assets to Athene Holding in exchange for equity of Athene Holding
- Ministry Brands in in acquisition of Diamond Mind and Halo Pays
Public Company M&A
- AMR Corporation, the parent company of American Airlines, in its $18 billion merger with US Airways Group, Inc.
- General Electric Capital Corporation in the sale of its rail car leasing and repair business to Wells Fargo and Marmon Group
- General Electric Company in its acquisition of Lineage Power
- General Growth Properties, Inc.
- in its $8 billion recapitalization by affiliates of Brookfield and Pershing Square
- in its spinoff of The Howard Hughes Corporation
- in its spinoff of Rouse Properties, Inc.
- Approach Resources Inc. in its recapitalization transaction with affiliates of the Wilks Brothers
Mr. Gail has been named among The M&A Advisor’s 2019 Emerging Leaders and among D Magazine’s 2019 Best Lawyers in Dallas for Private Equity. He was also named a 2017 “Lawyer on the Rise” award honoree by Texas Lawyer. Mr. Gail has been recognized as a “Rising Star” in Texas for Corporate M&A by Super Lawyers 2016-2020. Prior to joining Weil, Mr. Gail was the Colet Fellow at St. Paul’s School in London, England. Mr. Gail is active in national politics and served on President Barack Obama’s National Finance Committee during the 2008 and 2012 election cycles. He also serves as a tournament chair for Weil’s “Dodge for a Cause” charity dodgeball tournament held at the American Airlines Center benefitting Vogel Alcove.
* Super Lawyers recognition is a Thomson Reuters service