Our Washington-based attorneys represent corporations and other entities, both as plaintiffs and defendants, in multiple jurisdictions before both federal and state courts and regulatory authorities.
Weil is recognized by numerous leading legal directories for excellence in the areas of:
Approximately 70 lawyers are resident in the D.C. office, and their diverse practice areas provide our clients with invaluable counsel in navigating an intricate and ever-changing business environment and regulatory landscape. We are routinely entrusted with our clients’ critical matters, including litigation, mergers, and financial transactions.
Our Washington office hosts many of Weil’s regulatory lawyers and serves as a central hub for integrating the substantive skills of lawyers across Weil. From Washington, our lawyers advise clients in connection with numerous government agencies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the International Trade Commission, the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, among others.
Our lawyers routinely handle matters in connection with the Federal Reserve Board, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Securities and Exchange Commission, U.S. Treasury Department, and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, as well as with newer federal regulatory entities such as the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection and Office of National Insurance.
Awards and Recognition
- Antitrust/Competition Global Chair Steven Newborn named among the “Best of the Best USA” in 2022 by Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides.
- Environmental Head Annemargaret Connolly, Public Company Advisory Group partner P.J. Himelfarb and Antitrust/Competition partner Carrie C. Mahan named to the 2022 “Women in Business Law Guide” by Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides.
- Washington, D.C. office Co-Managing Partner Jeff White, Antitrust/Competition Global Chair Steven Newborn, Antitrust/Competition U.S. Co-Heads Brianne Kucerik, Michael Moiseyev and Jeff Perry, and Antitrust/Competition partners Carrie C. Mahan and John Scribner named to the inaugural Lawdragon “500 Leading Litigators in America” guide in 2022.
- Complex Commercial Litigation practice Co-Head Drew Tulumello was recognized as a Sports Trailblazer by The National Law Journal in November 2021.
- Three partners recognized as Antitrust “Trailblazers” by The National Law Journal: Antitrust/Competition Head Steven Newborn in 2015, and Antitrust partners Steven Bernstein in 2016 and Jeffrey Perry in 2017.
- Tax Department Co-Chair Joseph Pari named 2020 Law360 MVP for Tax.
- Tax Department Co-Chair Joseph Pari, Antitrust/Competition partner John Scribner, and White Collar Defense, Regulatory and Investigations practice Co-Head Steven Tyrrell were named 2020 “Washington, D.C. Trailblazers” by The National Law Journal.
- Antitrust/Competition Global Chair Steven Newborn, Antitrust/Competition U.S. Co-Head Brianne Kucerik and Appeals and Strategic Counseling Co-Head Mark Perry recognized as 2022 Life Sciences Stars by LMG Life Sciences.
- Tax partner Graham Magill and Patent Litigation partner Christopher Pepe profiled as Rising Stars for 2022 by The National Law Journal.
- Antitrust partner Megan Granger and Tax partner Graham Magill named Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides Rising Stars in both 2022 and 2021. Megan also named a 2021 The National Law Journal D.C. Rising Star, and Graham named a 2021 Euromoney Legal Media Group Rising Star.
- Antitrust/Competition Global Chair Steven Newborn named “Antitrust Litigator of the Year” at the 2016 LMG Life Sciences Awards.
- White Collar Defense, Regulatory and Investigations Group Co-Head Steven Tyrrell recognized as a 2015 White Collar Crime “Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal.
- Environmental head Annemargaret Connolly named “Best in Environment” at Euromoney Legal Media Group’s 2017 Americas Women in Business Law Awards and recognized as a 2016 MVP in Environmental by Law360 and as a 2016 Environmental “Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal.
- Corporate partner Catherine Dixon named 2017 “Lawyer of the Year” for Corporate Compliance Law in Washington, D.C. by Best Lawyers in America.
- Weil named Washington, D.C. Tax Firm of the Year by International Tax Review at the Americas Tax Awards 2022. The Firm received the same honor in 2021.
- Weil named a "Leading" Firm for Antitrust in the District of Columbia by Chambers USA in 2022.
- The International Arbitration group has been consistently recognized in publications such as Chambers Global and Chambers USA, Legal 500 and Benchmark Litigation, among others.
- Weil and Environmental Head Annemargaret Connolly both ranked Band 1 in Washington, D.C. for Environmental: Mainly Transactional by Chambers USA in 2022.
- Weil Ranked Tier 1 in Washington, D.C. for Environmental Law and Corporate Governance Law by U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” in 2023.
Pro Bono Initiatives and Community Service
The Washington, D.C. office has been recognized for its pro bono efforts and its ongoing commitment to the community. It was awarded an Outstanding Achievement Award in the area of Immigrant and Refugee Rights from the Washington Lawyers Committee on Civil Rights and Urban Affairs for its continuing work on behalf of asylum applicants. In addition, DC Appleseed Center for Law and Justice honored the Washington team for its outstanding pro bono efforts in addressing the lead-in-the-water crisis in the District of Columbia. Lawyers from the Washington office also played an important role in crafting a settlement to end litigation concerning discriminatory practices of the Baltimore Police Department that created a hostile work environment for police officers of color. Individual partners have also been recognized for their community service and pro bono efforts by such organizations as the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the American Jewish Committee.