Awards and Recognition
Weil partners in the New York office have been recognized for their leadership, innovation and groundbreaking successes across a variety of practice areas.
Recent achievements include:
- Litigation Department Co-Chair Jonathan Polkes was named White Collar Crime, Enforcement, and Investigations “Litigator of the Year” at the Benchmark Litigation U.S. awards event in February 2018.
- Business Finance & Restructuring Co-Chairs Matt Barr and Gary Holtzer were named among Turnarounds & Workouts’ “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers” in January 2018.
- Three New York partners were named as Law360 “MVPs” in December 2017: Corporate Department Chairman Michael Aiello (Mergers & Acquisitions), Matt Barr (Bankruptcy) and Litigation Department Co-Chair Jonathan Polkes (Securities Litigation).
- Securities Litigation Co-Head John Neuwirth was named a Litigation “Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal in November 2017.
- Litigation partner Diane Sullivan was named the “Outstanding Practitioner” at Euromoney America Legal Group’s Americas Women in Business Law Awards in June 2017 and named a “Winning Litigator” by The National Law Journal in September 2017.
- Employment Litigation practice group Head Jeffrey Klein, partner Gary Friedman and partner Nicholas Pappas named “Most Powerful Employment Lawyers” by Human Resource Executive Magazine in April 2017.
- Senior partner Ira Millstein was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award from New York Law Journal in July 2017 in recognition of his career and impact as a lawyer, academic, author and philanthropist.
- Ten partners have been recognized by publications such as Law360, New York Law Journal and Benchmark Litigation as “Rising Stars” in 2017 including Yehudah Buchweitz, Garrett Fail, Jared Friedmann, Eric Hochstadt, Sachin Kohli, Stacy Nettleton, Faiza Rahman, Sunny Singh, Heather Viets and Caroline Zalka.
Pro Bono Initiatives and Community Service
Weil has performed hundreds of thousands of hours of pro bono service since our current program was launched in August 2005. Weil was named “Best International Firm” for Pro Bono Work by Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Americas Women in Business Law Awards in June 2017. In 2016 our program was recognized with awards by Financial Times’ Innovative Lawyers North America Report, the New York State Bar and The National Law Journal. Weil received recognition from the Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice for its special report on solitary confinement, undertaken on behalf of the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture. Weil attorneys also received the Cornerstone Award for distinguished service from the Lawyers Alliance for New York for representing LANY in its efforts to obtain records from the New York City Department of Finance related to the Department’s construction of the New York state property tax exemption for charitable organizations. The Firm was featured in The Am Law Daily for its significant victory for the East End Eruv Association, and religious freedom in general, in a dispute related to the establishment of an eruv - a symbolic enclosure significant to people of Jewish faith.
The New York office was also honored with the 2016 Pro Public Award from The Legal Aid Society. The Firm has partnered with The Legal Aid Society for many years to offer legal services on a diverse range of matters, including saving homes, representing death row inmates, safeguarding prisoners’ rights, representing families at risk of homelessness in class actions and advising small businesses. In addition to our pro bono work, members of the New York office are engaged through support of local organizations including Big Brother Big Sister, PENCIL and the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge in New York City. Additionally, many partners and staff serve on boards of national and local not-for-profits and charity organizations.