Clients include: Abbott Laboratories, Allergan, Avista Capital Partners, Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Eli Lilly and Company, Forest Laboratories, inVentiv Health Inc., Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson, Life Technologies, Magellan Health, Medicis, Medtronic, Merz Pharma, Pacific Biosciences, Sanofi, Sunovion, UnitedHealth Group, Verinata, and Walgreens, among many others.
Corporate Transactions: Healthcare and Life Sciences
Weil has tremendous experience in the area of healthcare and life sciences M&A. Weil regularly handles high-profile billion dollar life sciences and healthcare M&A deals. We advise the biggest global players in this sector on transactions of strategic importance to their companies and to the industry at large. Our Antitrust and Technology & IP Transactions groups, as well as other Firm practices, also regularly work with clients in the healthcare and life sciences sectors, both in relation to M&A transactions and in standalone matters.
Drawing upon lawyers in the Firm’s Complex Commercial Litigation, Employment Litigation, Antitrust/Competition, and White Collar Defense, Regulatory and Investigations groups, among others, Weil has partnered with major participants in the healthcare sector to litigate, try, and resolve some of the most complex disputes ever to have faced the healthcare industry. Our experience includes:
- Defending health insurers in a wide variety of class actions and significant multi-district and other multi-jurisdictional litigation, where we have either defeated the class or won on summary judgment.
- Representing corporations and individuals in investigations and criminal, regulatory and civil proceedings by governmental authorities and qui tam plaintiffs.
- Advising with respect to antitrust issues resulting from our unique combination of public and private enforcement experience, including a broad range of transactional, counseling and litigation matters, and virtually every conceivable antitrust issue involving stakeholders throughout the healthcare system.
- Defending healthcare companies, and their officers and directors, in shareholder class and derivative litigation in courts around the country.
- Managing and litigating a wide array of ERISA matters, including private class actions, investigations and enforcement actions commenced by the U.S. Department of Labor and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, and other administrative agencies.
Life Sciences Litigation
Weil’s Litigation Department also has one of the deepest résumés for successful high-stakes litigation outcomes on behalf of the world’s most sophisticated life sciences companies. Our experience includes consumer fraud class actions for leading pharmaceutical companies, high-stakes patent disputes for biotech and medical device innovators, product liability litigation relating to major pharmaceutical products, and government and internal investigations for high-profile players in the life sciences space. Many of our litigators have technical backgrounds relating to life sciences and deep experience with a broad array of relevant technologies.