His practice focuses on advising private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies on a wide range of multi-jurisdictional leveraged financings and other complex financing transactions.
Tom has worked for extended periods on secondment at Goldman Sachs and HSBC in their leveraged finance teams.
Tom was recently named among The Lawyer’s Hot 100 for 2021, a list of the most accomplished and impactful lawyers in the U.K. He is also recognised as a Leading Individual for Banking & Finance by Chambers UK with clients describing him as "a very good operator and prolific at the high end of the market" as well as "a great lawyer; very client-focused, yet also very strong technically and focused on detail" with one source stating: “Tom is a superstar. He is very quick, commercial and works well with a range of people…he’s one of our absolute go-tos. He has the ability to be constructive, build consensus, and has good common sense and judgement.” Additionally, Tom is listed as a Leading Lawyer for Banking in IFLR1000 UK.
Tom has also been recognised in a number of Awards, including being highly commended in the Legal Business Finance awards 2018 for his work advising Advent International on the take private of Brammer plc and subsequent reverse bolt-on acquisition of IPH S.A; and for leading the team that won the IFLR Europe Awards 2019 for advising Advent International on the financing of its take private of Laird plc.Representative experience includes acting for:
- Advent International on the financing of various acquisitions as well as refinancings, recapitalisations and bids including the take privates of Cobham plc, Laird PLC and Brammer plc; carve out acquisitions of Evonik’s methacrylate’s business (Madrid) and GE’s Distributed Power business (Innio); acquisitions of Circet, IPH, Williams Lea Tag, KMD, Allnex/Nuplex, Ammeraal Beltech and Crompton Greaves Electrical; IPO financings for DFS and Equiniti and bids including Palacios, Sandvik Processing Systems, Oasis Dental, Parkdean Resorts, Priory Group and Logoplaste
- Bain Capital on the financing of its acquisition of the Kantar business from WPP plc
- Permira on the financing of its acquisition of Hana Group
- Novalpina Capital on the financing of its acquisitions of NSO, X.O. and MaxBet and bids for PharmaZell and AR Packaging
- CVC on the financing of its proposed acquisition of the run-off insurance business RiverStone Europe and its bids for Curium, Lumenis, Baltic Confidentials and Kersia
- Bain Capital and Advent International on the financing of their acquisition of Concardis
- Bain Capital on the financing of its bid for Keraben
- Hellman & Friedman and Advent International on the financing of their bid for Allegro
- Permira and Advent International on the financing of their bid for STADA Arzneimittel
- JC Flowers on the financing of their acquisition of UK General
- Ardian on the financing of its acquisition of Envision Pharma
- Goldman Sachs Principal Investments Area on various financings including Element Materials and Calypso Technologies
- PSP on its participation in various financings including Onex’s acquisition of Parkdean Resorts, Leonard Green’s acquisition of CPA Global and Hg Capital’s and ICG’s acquisition of Iris Software
- Charterhouse on the financing of its acquisition of Armacell
- Oaktree on the financing of its acquisition of Evac