Weil’s Boston office provides sophisticated legal counsel in challenging and complex private equity and other corporate transactional and litigation matters. Our relationships with the New England business community as well as national and international institutions have been the catalyst for our continued growth. In addition, the Boston office serves as an integrated gateway to Weil’s worldwide network of offices, providing our clients with access to a global platform of legal expertise.
We advise many of the largest private equity firms in the region – such as Advent International, Berkshire Partners, Providence Equity Partners, Providence Strategic Growth, and Thomas H. Lee Partners – on their most significant matters.
We also represent clients in high-stakes commercial litigation and other complex business disputes.
Awards and Recognition
Weil’s Boston office has been recognized every year since it opened as a leading firm for Corporate/M&A and Private Equity: Buyouts by Chambers USA (2002-2020).
Other accolades include:
- Kevin J. Sullivan named 2017 “Lawyer of the Year” for Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law in Boston by Best Lawyers in America.
- Weil ranked Tier 1 in Boston and Nationwide for Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law by U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2019.
- Marilyn French Shaw, Kevin Sullivan and Shayla Harlev recognized as leading lawyers for Private Equity: Buyouts and Corporate/M&A by Chambers USA 2020.
- Kevin J. Sullivan is recognized by Legal 500 US 2019 for Private Equity Buyouts.
- Marilyn French Shaw is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer in private equity by Chambers USA, Legal 500 US and IFLR1000. She was also selected as a leader in private equity in IFLR1000’s inaugural “Women Leaders” publication. Ms. French Shaw was named among the 2015 “Dealmakers of the Year” by The American Lawyer and 2015 “Top Women of Law” by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.
- Shayla Harlev is named a Private Equity “Rising Star” by IFLR1000 2018.
- Patrick O’Toole recognized as a leading lawyer for Litigation: General Commercial: Massachusetts by Chambers USA.
- Shayla Harlev and Melanie Conroy were honored with the 2017 Pro Bono Mentor Award from the Political Asylum/Immigration Representation (PAIR) project.
Pro Bono Initiatives and Community Service
Community service is deeply ingrained in the culture of Weil's Boston office, and our lawyers are closely involved with local charities and community groups. Partners and associates currently serve on boards and committees of many non-profit organizations, including The United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley, City Year, The Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA) and The Make-A-Wish Foundation of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Our pro bono clients include numerous referrals from Kids in Need of Defense (KIND), The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC), Lawyers Clearinghouse, Edesia Global Nutrition Solutions, Longwood Symphony Orchestra, Alternatives for Community & Environment and Inner City Weightlifting. We also serve as outside general counsel to The United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley and The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC). The Boston office was honored for its dedication to pro bono service at the Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly 2014 Excellence in the Law Awards.