Notable Representations, Key Contacts
- Our Cross-Practice Capabilities: Drawing on the talents of lawyers around the world in our Business Finance & Restructuring, Public Company Advisory Group, White Collar Defense, Regulatory and Investigations, and Product Liability & Mass Torts practices, among others, we offer our clients the "one-stop" service they need to efficiently mobilize in response to a crisis situation.
- Seamless Coordination of Parallel Litigation and Regulatory Investigations: We regularly manage and coordinate all aspects of legal proceedings arising out of crisis situations, including wide-ranging, multi-regulator investigations, multi-jurisdictional litigation, and sensitive internal reviews and investigations, often simultaneously.
- Our Experience Representing Major Companies in First-of-their-Kind Crises: We have occupied center stage during some of the highest profile crises over the last several decades, navigating clients from all over the world through complex regulatory and governmental investigations, internal investigations, and attendant civil litigation. Recently, this has included, among many others:
- The 2013 Lac Mégantic rail disaster in Canada (on behalf of CIT Group)
- The 2011 Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan (on behalf of a confidential energy client)
- The 2010 Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill (on behalf of SEACOR Holdings)
- The Financial Crisis (on behalf of a range of companies, including American International Group, Lehman Brothers, Washington Mutual, and Archstone Smith)
- The Cleanup Efforts Following the 2001 World Trade Center Terrorist Attacks (on behalf of Bovis Lend Lease)
- The 1993 World Trade Center Terrorist Bombing (on behalf of The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey)
- Expert Management of Media Relations and Strategic Communications: Our attorneys have extensive experience coordinating media relations and strategic communications in the aftermath of large-scale crises. We regularly counsel on the legal implications of using public relations firms and managing communication with the media in the wake of a crisis. We also work with our clients to create a culture of brand management with respect to social media and all other forms of corporate communication, with the goal of preventing future crises.
An undisputed legal services powerhouse...”
Benchmark Litigation 2018
One source notes: “What Weil does very, very well is that they partner with the client and are fully engaged in both strategy planning and providing practical solutions.”
Chambers USA 2018