Weil is one of the leading restructuring firms in the world, consistently at the forefront of innovative restructurings. The reason is simple. Weil invented much of what has become standard practice in the restructuring field. For more than 50 years, Weil has played a pivotal role in defining this field by offering creative, practical, and thoughtful solutions for its clients.
Notable Representations, Key Contacts
A Go-to Firm for Global Distressed Situations
Weil's global restructuring group comprises more than 100 dedicated lawyers, including a significant number recognized as leaders in their field.
The largest, most complex, and most important restructuring matters in history require a truly international firm that can handle all aspects of the restructuring process in the United States, Europe, Middle East, and Asia. Weil's global restructuring practice has been described as the “gold standard” of bankruptcy practices and as a “restructuring powerhouse.”
- Weil’s U.S. Restructuring practice has been involved in countless international and U.S. restructurings over many decades, with representations ranging from top global corporations in mega-restructurings to middle-market debtors. Weil has served as chief debtors’ counsel in six of the seven largest U.S. bankruptcy filings in history and has represented clients in numerous complicated cross-border insolvency and restructuring matters. The practice is consistently recognized among the most highly regarded publications globally including, most recently being recognized as “Bankruptcy Team of the Year” by Law360 for 12 straight years (2010-2021), named among the top three firms globally for Cross-Border Restructuring and Insolvency in the 2020 edition of Global Restructuring Review’s GRR 30 and named “Bankruptcy Team of the Year” at the 2018 Chambers USA Awards.
“By far the most prominent debtor firm in the USA.” — Chambers USA
- Weil has one of the premier restructuring legal practices in Europe. Ranked in the top 2 of legal advisors in Europe in 2021 by debt value and volume by Debtwire’s European Restructuring Advisory Mandates league table, our European Restructuring practice comprises offices in the U.K., France and Germany, and works closely with the U.S. on regional and cross-border restructurings, as well as those involving Asia. Weil’s recent work in Europe includes advising creditors and debtors on some of the most significant cross-border restructurings as well complex insolvency and Chapter 11 matters.
“They have an appreciation of what's current in the restructuring market and are very switched-on.” — Chambers Global
- Weil’s highly regarded Asia Restructuring practice includes lawyers in Beijing, Hong Kong, and Shanghai, with local on-the-ground expertise of matters across the Asian Pacific region. The team includes PRC-, Hong Kong-, U.S.-, and U.K.-qualified lawyers, providing clients with premier Asian and international experience.
“Weil’s clients have praise for the technical ability and business sense that the partners bring to transactions.” — IFLR1000
While many firms may claim to offer an international service, Weil’s fully integrated global platform allows Weil to marshal resources very quickly to provide sound, strategic, commercial, and legal solutions to clients in time-sensitive situations. Weil’s work on some of the most historic restructurings – including General Motors, Parmalat SpA, Lehman Brothers, Kaupthing Bank, American Airlines and MF Global – demonstrates Weil’s ability to coordinate a diverse team of lawyers across the United States, Europe, and Asia to provide clients with innovative, bespoke solutions to complex cross-border restructurings. Today, Weil continues to play an integral role in high-profile restructurings. In the United States alone, Weil has been involved in some of the most notable and largest bankruptcies filed in the U.S. in recent years, including acting as debtors’ counsel to CBL & Associates Properties, J.Crew, Fieldwood Energy, Speedcast International, Briggs & Stratton, CEC Entertainment, Skillsoft and 24 Hour Fitness. The Firm also has significant roles in the chapter 11 cases of Seadrill Limited, Katerra Inc., NorthEast Gas Generation, Jason Industries and Sable Permian Resources.
Broad-Based Experience Advising a Range of Clients
Weil’s strengths also lie in Weil’s ability to innovate. Weil works collaboratively with clients to develop and implement novel restructuring solutions and products that are tailor-made for the different groups Weil works with: banks, private equity funds, hedge funds, corporations, boards of directors, and insolvency practitioners.
Comprehensive Scope of Experience
Weil’s experience across multiple industries is extensive and spans every critical area of finance and restructuring, including exchange offers, debt for equity swaps, prepackaged and prearranged chapter 11 cases, “conventional” chapter 11 cases, and international insolvencies.
Weil does not believe in a one-size fits all approach. Weil's advice ensures that clients address the complex issues associated with restructuring in the most strategic and beneficial manner possible. Major restructurings transcend almost all legal disciplines (including bankruptcy/creditors’ rights, tax, financing, securities laws, antitrust, and other regulatory approvals). Weil seamlessly coordinates with lawyers in other practice areas across the Firm to provide clients with comprehensive solutions to complex transactions.
View more information on Weil's areas of experience:
The Weil Restructuring Blog contains developments on the restructuring world from our Restructuring team. The European Restructuring Watch presents views from Weil's European teams.
- +1 (212) 310-8010
Gary T. Holtzer
- +1 (212) 310-8463
Ray C. Schrock
- +1 (212) 310-8210
See list of lawyers globally
Ronit Berkovich Named Northeast Trailblazer
The American Lawyer 2022
Kevin Bostel Named “Rising Star” for Bankruptcy
Alexander Welch Named Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer
Turnarounds & Workouts 2022
Matt Barr, Gary Holtzer and Ray C. Schrock Named Crisis Leadership Trailblazers
The National Law Journal 2021
Candace Arthur and Matthew Goren Named Emerging Leaders
The M&A Advisor 2021
David Nigel Griffiths Named to American Bankruptcy Institute’s 2021 40 Under 40
Candace Arthur Named "Rising Star" for Bankruptcy
Candace Arthur Named Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer
Turnarounds & Workouts 2021
Ray C. Schrock Named 2021 Fellow of The American College of Bankruptcy
David Nigel Griffiths Named Emerging Leader
The M&A Advisor 2020
Candace Arthur Profiled as Top Young Restructuring Lawyer
Bloomberg Law 2020
Ray C. Schrock Named Bankruptcy MVP
Ray C. Schrock Named Lawyer of the Year: Restructuring and Insolvency
Sears Holdings Corporation Named Deal of the Year: Restructuring and Insolvency
Three Restructuring Partners Honored with 2020 TMA Turnaround and Transaction of the Year Awards for Their Roles in syncreon’s Financial Restructuring
Ray C. Schrock Named Top Restructuring Lawyer
Business Insider 2020
Ronit Berkovich and Ray C. Schrock Named Dealmakers of the Year
The American Lawyer 2019 and 2020 (respectively)
Ray C. Schrock Named Top Restructuring Lawyer
Business Insider 2020
Weil's Restructuring Department has won Law360’s “Bankruptcy Group of the Year” for 12 straight years (2010-2021), being honored every year since the inception of the awards.
Weil was “Commended” by the Financial Times in 2018 for successfully advising Takata in its chapter 11, including addressing simultaneous bankruptcy proceedings in the United States and Japan.
Weil Wins Bankruptcy Team of the Year at the 2018 Chambers USA Awards
Weil’s Restructuring Department’s Co-Chairs, Matt Barr, Gary Holtzer and Ray C. Schrock, and Restructuring partner Ronit Berkovich, were all named Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers by Turnaround & Workouts (2016-2020).
Gary T. Holtzer, Matt Barr, Ronit Berkovich, and Ray C. Schrock Named Bankruptcy MVPs
Law360 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 (respectively)
Weil has been ranked Tier 1 in “Restructuring and Insolvency” in the U.S. the past 13 consecutive years.
Awards and Recognition, Speaking Engagements, Firm News & Announcements, Latest Thinking
Awards and Recognition
- Candace Arthur and Matthew Goren Named 2021 Emerging Leaders Award Brief — The M&A Advisor
- Weil Named 2019 Bankruptcy Practice Group of the Year Award Brief — Law360
- David Griffiths Named 2019 Rising Star for Bankruptcy by Law360 Award Brief — Law360
- Weil Named 2018 Bankruptcy Practice Group of the Year Award Brief — Law360
- Ronit Berkovich Profiled as a 2018 MVP: Bankruptcy Award Brief — Law360 2018
- Weil Wins Bankruptcy Team of the Year at the 2018 Chambers USA Awards Award Brief — Chambers USA 2018
- Weil Honored with Three Restructuring Awards by The M&A Advisor in 2018 Award Brief — The M&A Advisor 2018
- Recognized for Successful Restructurings of 2017 in Five Matters Award Brief — Turnarounds & Workouts 2017
Briefing and Arguing Technical Bankruptcy Appeals Before the Supreme Court and Circuit Courts
October 18-22, 2022 — Orlando, FL — Zack Tripp, Weil’s Complex Commercial Litigation partner and Co-Head of its Appeals and Strategic Counseling practice, was a panelist at the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges’ 96th Annual Conference, where he discussed his experience and insights regarding how bankruptcy appeals can successfully be briefed and argued to the generalist Supreme Court and Circuit Courts of appeal.
Hot/Controversial Chapter 11 Plan Provisions
Theodore E. Tsekerides
February 3, 2022 — New Orleans, LA — Weil partner Theodore Tsekerides will speak on a panel entitled “Hot/Controversial Chapter 11 Plan Provisions” at the Fifth Circuit Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Conference.
Firm News & Announcements
- Weil Secures 9-0 Victory in the U.S. Supreme Court in Bartenwerfer v. Buckley Litigation Win — February 22, 2023
- Kelly DiBlasi Named Among 2022 Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers by Turnarounds & Workouts Firm Announcement — January 05, 2023
- Weil Ranked Among Top 10 Firms for Restructuring and Insolvency in 2022 by Global Restructuring Review Firm Announcement — December 27, 2022
- Weil Advises Corestate Capital Holding S.A. on Restructuring Deal Brief — December 08, 2022
- Weil Elects 12 New Partners and Announces New Counsel Class Firm Announcement — November 22, 2022
Supreme Court Holds That a Non-Debtor Retaining a Debtor’s Property Does Not Exercise Control Over the Property in Violation of the Automatic Stay
Blog Post — Weil Restructuring
Zack Tripp and
— January 20, 2021
SCOTUS holds that a non-debtor does not violate the automatic stay by passively retaining estate property lawfully seized before the bankruptcy filing. ...