Corey Chivers is a partner in Weil’s Capital Markets practice and is based in New York. Corey has represented corporations, investment banks, national governments and multinational financial institutions in a wide range of public and private securities offerings, including initial public offerings, major high-yield transactions and investment grade debt offerings.
- Debt Capital Markets: representations include hundreds of high-yield and investment grade debt offerings with an aggregate deal value of more than $175 billion, including offerings by Microsoft (representing the underwriters), General Electric, Synchrony Financial (representing the underwriters), Occidental Petroleum Corporation (representing the underwriters), H&R Block, Mastercard, AMC Entertainment, The Estée Lauder Companies, Inc., Avolon, Signet Jewelers Limited and Willis Towers Watson.
- IPOs and Equity Offerings: representations include IPOs and over 15 $1 billion+ global equity offerings, including the IPOs of Elanco (largest U.S. IPO of 2018), Dave & Buster’s and Synchrony Financial (largest U.S. IPO of 2014).
- Liability management: represented General Electric in its $36 billion debt exchange offer and General Motors in its $27 billion SEC registered exchange offer.
- Significant cross-border experience, particularly Latin America: worked on transactions in 24 countries worldwide, including throughout Europe and Latin America.
Corey is recognized as a “Market Leader” for Capital Markets in the U.S. by IFLR1000, where clients note he is “great to work with – responsive, thoughtful and with deep knowledge and experience in the capital markets practice area.” He is recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” for Capital Markets: Debt and is recommended for Capital Markets: Equity and High-Yield Offerings by Legal 500 US. Corey has been recognized as a leading lawyer for Capital Markets: Debt & Equity by Chambers USA. He was named a Capital Markets “MVP” by Law360 in 2016 and 2014. Corey has been recognized as a “Best Lawyer” for Capital Markets in New York by Best Lawyers in America. He was also included among the 2021 “Top Financing Lawyers in North America” by MergerLinks.
Corey is the author of the book Due Diligence in Securities Offerings (Law Journal Press 2015).
Corey is a graduate of the Columbia University School of Law, where he was named a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar in 1989, 1990 and 1991. Prior to entering private practice, he served a federal judicial clerkship on the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
Awards and Recognition, Latest Thinking, Firm News & Announcements
Awards and Recognition
- Corey Chivers Named a "Leading Lawyer" for Capital Markets: Debt Award Brief — Legal 500 US
- Corey Chivers Recognized as a “Market Leader” for Capital Markets in the U.S. Award Brief — IFLR1000
- Corey Chivers Named a "Recognized Practitioner" for Capital Markets: Debt and Equity Award Brief — Chambers USA
- Corey Chivers Named a "Best Lawyer" in the Specialty of Securities/Capital Markets Law Award Brief — Best Lawyers in America
- Corey Chivers Recommended for Capital Markets: Equity and High Yield Offerings Award Brief — Legal 500 US
- Corey Chivers Named Among the 2021 “Top Financing Lawyers in North America” Award Brief — MergerLinks
- Corey Chivers Profiled as a 2016 MVP: Capital Markets Award Brief — Law360 2016
- Form 8-K Triggering Events Alert — PDF — November 2022
Firm News & Announcements
- Weil Advised Vonage Holdings Corp. in its $6.2B Sale to Ericsson Deal Brief — July 21, 2022
- Weil Advised MSP Recovery, LLC in its $32.6B Business Combination with Lionheart Acquisition Corp. II Deal Brief — May 18, 2022