Privacy & Cybersecurity
Notable Representations, Key Contacts
We have an uncompromising commitment to providing practical and actionable guidance. We partner with our clients to develop holistic and tailored strategies to mitigate and address business and legal risks in connection with the privacy and cybersecurity aspects of the full range of corporate transactions (in close partnership with Weil’s Private Equity, M&A and Private Funds practices, and Litigation practice), defending government investigations and other privacy-related proceedings, counseling with respect to compliance with a broad array of jurisdiction- and sector-specific privacy and data security laws, and coordinating urgent first-responder assistance in the event of a breach.
Weil lawyers routinely work with clients in the following areas:
Recognizing that a privacy- or cyber-related development can expand to encompass a number of other significant legal issues, our practitioners work closely with attorneys in our White Collar Defense, Regulatory and Investigations, Securities Litigation, Complex Commercial Litigation, Restructuring and Employment Litigation practices, among others, to address all aspects of privacy-related risks.
Randi W. Singer
New York, Silicon Valley
- +1 (212) 310-8152
Olivia J. Greer
- +1 (212) 310-8815
See list of lawyers globally
Weil Public Relations
- +1 (212) 310-6710
Speaking Engagements, Awards and Recognition, Latest Thinking, Firm News & Announcements
Privacy Hot Topics for 2023
Randi W. Singer,
Olivia J. Greer and
February 23, 2023 — Barry Fishley, Head of Weil’s London Technology & IP Transactions practice, Randi Singer, Head of Weil’s Privacy & Cybersecurity practice, Technology & IP Transactions partner Olivia Greer, and Technology & IP Transactions counsel Briony Pollard delivered a Weil webinar entitled “Privacy Hot Topics for 2023.” They discussed artificial intelligence, U.S. privacy litigation trends, the UK and EU Enforcement landscape, international personal data transfers, U.S. regulatory enforcement, U.S. state laws, and deal trends.
The Role and Influence of Artificial Intelligence in the Workplace
Gary D. Friedman
November 21, 2022 — Webinar — Weil Employment Litigation partner Gary Friedman participated on a New York City Bar Association CLE panel entitled “The Role and Influence of Artificial Intelligence in the Workplace.” The panelists covered numerous cutting edge legal issues concerning the impact of artificial intelligence in the employment context, including: a discussion of the AI tools used in hiring; a discussion of the AI tools used in evaluating employee performance; a detailed discussion of NYC’s Automated Employment Decision Tool Law taking effect on January 1, 2023; a review of other statutory approaches to AI in the employment setting; the role of AI in accomplishing diversity goals and promoting workplace safety; and a discussion of data standards and the existing and developing role of vendors.
- Extending Calif. Privacy Compliance To Employee Records Publication — Law360 — By Gary D. Friedman and Olivia J. Greer — February 17, 2023
- Spotlight on DOJ’s Cybersecurity Focus Alert — Privacy & Cybersecurity — By Drew Tulumello, Arianna Scavetti and Jason Kleinwaks — PDF — March 15, 2022
- FTC Orders Destruction of Algorithms Created From Unlawfully Acquired Data Publication — The Journal of Robotics, Artificial Intelligence & Law — By Randi W. Singer — PDF — November 2021
- Scraping Suit Stymied after Van Buren Alert — Intellectual Property & Media — By Randi W. Singer — PDF — June 16, 2021
- FTC Orders Destruction of Algorithms Created From Unlawfully Acquired Data Alert — Intellectual Property & Media — By Randi W. Singer — PDF — May 11, 2021
Firm News & Announcements
- Five Weil Partners Named in IAM Global Leaders 2023 Firm Announcement — November 28, 2022
- Weil Advised MSP Recovery, LLC in its $32.6B Business Combination with Lionheart Acquisition Corp. II Deal Brief — May 18, 2022
- Weil Advised Gores Metropoulos II, Inc. in its $1.925B Business Combination with Sonder Holdings Inc. Deal Brief — January 18, 2022
- Weil Advised TPG Pace Solutions Corp. in its $4.5B Business Combination with Vacasa LLC Deal Brief — December 06, 2021
- Weil Advised Wejo Limited in its $1.1B Business Combination with Virtuoso Acquisition Corp. Deal Brief — November 18, 2021
- Weil Named as 2021 Appellate Hot List Honoree by The National Law Journal Firm Announcement — October 29, 2021