Notable Representations, Key Contacts
Our client base covers a broad range of the fund sponsor spectrum, from some of the largest, most well-established players to emerging participants. We have formed funds for a significant number of clients ranging from multi-billion dollar funds, to middle-market funds, to funds for emerging clients.
Depth of Experience
Our Private Funds lawyers handle:
- The formation of private investment funds of all sizes and investment strategies, including buyout funds, growth equity funds, middle market funds, infrastructure funds, real estate funds, debt funds, funds-of-funds, secondary funds, special situations funds and hedge funds;
- The establishment of investment firms (including negotiating investment professionals’ exits from prior employers) and advising on their operation, regulation and internal governance arrangements, including strategic issues such as succession planning, monetization alternatives, the admission of new firm partners and separation matters;
- Advising on the acquisition and sale of minority and majority stakes in fund sponsors as well as spinouts of fund businesses and management teams;
- Representing buyers and sellers of portfolios of private fund interests in secondary transactions;
- Counseling sponsor clients who are considering “public capital” alternatives, including the creation of publicly listed private equity funds and management companies;
- Structuring “non-fund” investment arrangements, such as managed accounts, for sponsors and/or small investor groups, as well as co-investment vehicles;
- Creating carried interest and employee co-investment schemes and advising on executive incentivization and retention arrangements; and
- Representing institutional investors, including sovereign wealth and major pension funds, in connection with their investments in funds and participation in co-investments and other related transactions.
360-degree coverage for clients
Weil Named Fund Formation “Practice Group of the Year”
Weil Named a “Leading” Firm for Investments Funds
Chambers USA 2020
Weil Named a “Leading” Firm for Private Equity Funds
Legal 500 US 2020
Weil Named a “Leading” Firm for Private Equity Funds in the U.S.
Ranked Tier 1 for Private Equity Funds in the U.K.
Ranked Tier 1 for Real Estate Funds
Legal 500 UK 2020
Ranked Tier 1 Nationwide for Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law
U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2020*
* Best Lawyers (in America) is by Levine Leichtman Capital Partners