Mr. Cohen’s practice includes domestic and cross-border corporate restructuring, distressed financing and distressed M&A.
Mr. Cohen has been a member of teams representing debtors, secured lenders and other creditors in a number of in-court restructurings and other matters, including:
- Representing national Spanish-language media company LBI Media in its ongoing chapter 11 cases
- Representing nuclear power company Westinghouse Electric Company in its chapter 11 cases and $4.6 billion sale to Brookfield
- Representing international retail clothing company Aéropostale in connection with its chapter 11 cases and its proceeding under Canada’s Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Representing Canadian steel giant Essar Steel Algoma, Inc. in connection with its chapter 15 cases and proceedings under Canada’s Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (“CCAA”) and as a creditor in the chapter 11 cases of its affiliate, Essar Minnesota
- Representing U.S. sporting goods retailer Golfsmith in connection with its chapter 11 cases and the related CCAA proceedings of its Canadian affiliates operating as Golf Town
- Representing Paragon Offshore in connection with its chapter 11 cases
- Representing Lehman Brothers Holdings with certain post-confirmation matters in its historic bankruptcy cases
- Representing Canadian steel giant Essar Steel Algoma, Inc. as a creditor in the chapter 11 cases of its affiliate, Essar Minnesota
- Representing certain prepetition lenders in connection with the chapter 11 cases and CCAA proceedings of Performance Sports Group, owner of iconic sporting good brands Bauer and Easton
Prior to joining Weil, Mr. Cohen worked in public policy for the Government of Ontario and worked at a full-service law firm in Toronto where he was a member of teams that worked on a number of restructurings of large Canadian companies under the CCAA, including Nortel Networks, Target Canada, and Connacher Oil & Gas.