Mr. Barr has consistently been recognized over the years as one of the nation’s leading restructuring lawyers by Chambers Global, Chambers USA, IFLR1000, Lawdragon, Legal 500, Guide to World's Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers (Legal Media Group), and Super Lawyers, among others. Most recently, he was named “Highly Regarded” for Restructuring and Insolvency in the U.S. in 2020 by IFLR1000. In 2019, Mr. Barr was named among Turnarounds & Workouts' "Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers" and named a Leading Lawyer by Legal 500. In 2017 he was named among Turnarounds & Workouts’ “Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers” and a “Bankruptcy MVP” by Law360. Commentators in Chambers USA have called him “tremendously bright, responsive and reliable,” and “a measured, strong advocate” that knows “how to get to a resolution in a case.” IFLR1000 called him “a very strong and commercial lawyer. He never loses his cool and always finds a way to get to yes.”
Currently Mr. Barr serves on the board of directors for the National Kidney Foundation – Greater New York as well as the American Red Cross – Greater New York and is a board member of the Weil Foundation. Mr. Barr joined Weil in 2015 from a major international law firm, where he was a senior equity partner, resident in that Firm’s New York office. Mr. Barr has contributed to various publications over the years on topics ranging from valuation litigation, in- and out-of-court remedies of creditors and asset sales. Mr. Barr has participated on a variety of panels as both a moderator and speaker.
Mr. Barr’s experience includes advising:
- Counsel to a global provider of offshore accommodation and construction support services to the oil and gas industry in its restructuring efforts.
- Counsel to EP Energy Corporation, and its affiliated debtors, a public oil and natural gas exploration and production company, in their chapter 11 cases involving approximately $4.9 billion in funded debt obligations.
- Counsel to syncreon Group Holdings B.V., and its affiliates, in its groundbreaking, cross-border balance sheet restructuring involving approximately $1.1 billion of funded debt, including the chapter 15 case of syncreon Automotive (UK) Ltd. syncreon, a leading global logistics services provider, operates across 120 facilities in 19 countries on 6 continents. syncreon’s restructuring is proceeding through an English scheme of arrangement pursuant to the Companies Act 2006 and further involves ancillary processes in the United States and Canada.
- Counsel to CTI Foods LLC and its affiliated debtors, a leading independent provider of custom food products for major chain restaurants in North America, in their prepackaged chapter 11 cases involving liabilities in excess of $655 million.
- Counsel to large publically traded oil and gas company in connection with review of liability management initiatives.
- Counsel to publically traded oil and gas company in connection with out-of-court restructuring efforts.
- Counsel to Fieldwood Energy, a Gulf of Mexico offshore energy exploration and production company, in connection with its chapter 11 cases, through which Fieldwood purchased Gulf of Mexico assets of Noble Energy.
- Counsel to Claire’s Stores, Inc., a specialty retailer, in connection with their chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to Southeastern Grocers, LLC (Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie/ Fresco y Más/Harveys Supermarkets) in connection with its chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to Angelica Corporation, a leading healthcare linen and medical laundry servicer, in its chapter 11 case and related asset sale to KKR.
- Counsel to China Fishery Group, an investment holding company that sources, harvests, onboard processes, and delivers fish worldwide, in its chapter 11 and cross-border restructuring of its approximately $2B in debt.
- Counsel to Fairway Group Holdings, an iconic New York supermarket chain, in its prepackaged chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to publicly listed healthcare company in connection with its potential restructuring efforts.
- Counsel to international renewal energy company in connection with its out-of-court restructuring.
- Counsel to American Gilsonite Company, the world's principal commercial miner and processor of uintaite, in its prepackaged chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to power company in connection with potential restructuring efforts.
- Counsel to LightSquared, holder of substantial satellite spectrum proposed to be repurposed for wireless broadband use, in its chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to Lernout & Hauspie/Dictaphone, voice recognition software company and dictation/recording machines, in its chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to Parking Company Airports America (PCAA), one of the largest domestic, privately-owned operators of off-site airport parking services, in its chapter 11 cases.
Ad Hoc Group Experience:
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of bondholders in connection with an oil and natural gas exploration and production company.
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of lenders in connection with a data processing and outsourced technology services provider.
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of secured noteholders in connection with the reorganization of Sable Permian Resources.
- Counsel to an ad hoc committee of first lien lenders to Uniti.
- Counsel to the Consenting OpCo Noteholders, in the prepackaged chapter 11 plan of reorganization of Seventy Seven Energy, Inc., an Oklahoma-based company that offers drilling, pressure-pumping, oilfield rental tools and trucking services.
- Counsel to an ad hoc consortium of holders of unsecured 2019 notes issued by Cobalt International Energy that raised $500M in new capital for the company and participated in a $715M debt exchange.
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of bondholders in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Quebecor, Inc., an integrated communications companies in the industry.
- Counsel to BlackRock and The Carlyle Group, as majority debt holders of Singer Sewing Company, in connection with Singer’s out-of-court restructuring.
- Counsel to a group of Prepetition Term Loan Lenders in the chapter 11 cases and Canadian CCAA Proceedings of Performance Sports Group, owner of iconic sporting good brands Bauer and Easton, among others.
- Counsel to the Term Loan DIP Agent as well as the Tranche B Term Loan Lenders in the chapter 11 cases of BCBG Max Azria Group, a global fashion house that encompasses over 20 brands.
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of term loan lenders in connection with the out-of-court restructuring of Stallion Oilfield Services, the largest provider of auxiliary rentals and services for oil and gas operations in the U.S.
- Counsel to ad hoc group of secured lenders in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Aspect Software, a leading cloud provider of fully-integrated consumer engagement, workforce optimization and back-office solutions.
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of secured lenders in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Noranda Aluminum Holding Corp., a Tennessee-based producer of primary aluminum and rolled aluminum coils.
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of lenders to the independent exploration and production company, Energy & Exploration Partner, in connection with its chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of secured lenders in connection with the restructuring of Dex Media, Inc., a print and digital marketing company.
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of secured lenders in connection with U.S. Shale Solutions, a premier technology-enabled, strategic solutions provider to the unconventional oil and gas industry.
- Counsel to an ad hoc group of secured lenders of the oil & gas exploration company, Endeavour International Corp., in its reorganization, which concluded with a structured dismissal of its chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to an ad hoc of secured third lien lenders of NextWave Corp., a communications service provider.
Creditor/Acquiror/Secured & Unsecured Lender/Sponsor/Other Experience:
- Counsel to the Secured Lenders in the chapter 11 cases of Bumble Bee Parent, Inc. and its affiliated debtors, a major North American packaged foods company.
- Counsel to the DIP Lender and Senior Secured Lender in the chapter 11 case of George Washington Bridge Bus Station Development Venture LLC, a construction and engineering company focused on the construction of bus terminals.
- Counsel to HarbourVest Partners L.P. and Pantheon Ventures (US) LP as unsecured lenders in the chapter 11 cases of Sheridan Production II, a company that specializes in buyouts of oil and gas properties.
- Counsel to HPS Investment Partners, LLC, acting as the DIP Agent, DIP Lender, and DIP Secured Party, in the chapter 11 cases of Emerge Energy Services LP and its affiliates, a major energy service provider that engages in the mining, production, and distribution of silica sand proppant for the oil and gas fracturing industry.
- Counsel to lenders to a global company that develops agricultural products used in both livestock and crop farming, as well as products for the food industry, in its potential restructuring efforts.
- Counsel to the first lien lender to a major urgent care provider, with over 100 locations servicing Arizona, North Carolina, and Texas, in its potential restructuring efforts.
- Counsel to Talen Montana, LLC as a major customer and contract counterparty of Westmoreland Coal in Westmoreland’s chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to Krayn Wind LLC in connection with FirstEnergy Solutions Corp chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to Barclays (US), holder of Seadrill Limited bonds and subscription agreement, in connection with the chapter 11 case of Seadrill.
- Counsel to Thomas H. Lee Partners and Bain Capital, as debt holder and financial sponsors of iHeart Media, in connection with the chapter 11 case of iHeart.
- Counsel to secured lender and equity sponsor in large international oil & gas exploration company.
- Counsel to Bain Capital, the equity sponsor of The Gymboree Corporation, in Gymboree’s chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to the Secured Lenders (and ultimately equity holders) in the chapter 11 cases of Capmark Financial Group Inc., a large commercial real estate lender.
- Counsel to secured lenders in connection with Pathmark Stores, a large northeastern grocery chain, chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to the secured lenders in connection with the out-of-court restructuring of Targus Corporation, a U.S.-based manufacturer of accessories mostly related to mobile computing, photography, and locks.
- Counsel to certain lenders and backstop parties in connection the chapter 11 cases of Lee Enterprises, owner of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and other newspapers.
- Counsel to purchasers of assets, both in and out of court, including senior living facilities, energy and power assets, among others.
Official Creditors’ Committee Experience:
- Counsel to LEGO Systems, Inc., who is one of the nine members of the UCC, in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Toys “R” Us, Inc.
- Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the chapter 11 cases of leading solar power company SunEdison, Inc.; listing assets of $20.7 billion and liabilities of $16.1 billion, SunEdison’s chapter 11 filing was the largest bankruptcy of 2016.
- Counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors (and bondholders prepetition) in the chapter 11 cases of Winn-Dixie, one of the largest supermarket chains in the southern U.S.
- Counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors (and bondholders prepetition) in the chapter 11 cases of Charys Holding Company, a remediation and construction company.
- Counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the chapter 11 cases of Enron Corporation, a U.S. energy-trading and utilities company; and one of the largest chapter 11 cases in U.S. history.
- Counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the chapter 11 cases of Refco, Inc., a New York-based financial services company.