Eliza Cotter is an associate in Weil’s Technology & IP Transactions practice and a member of the Firm’s Cybersecurity, Data Privacy & Information Management group. Ms. Cotter is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) who participates in the representation of clients regarding privacy and data security issues in the context of corporate transactions and advises clients regarding compliance with data privacy laws and regulations affecting various industries, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and laws governing the use and disclosure of biometric data.
Ms. Cotter has been part of the teams advising on the data privacy and cybersecurity aspects of the following matters:
- athenahealth, Inc. in its $5.7 billion sale to Veritas Capital and Evergreen Coast Capital and planned combination with Virence Health
- Atos S.E. in its $3.57 billion acquisition of Syntel, Inc.
- The Blackstone Group in the investment by Blackstone Tactical Opportunities in Sema4
- Froneri International Limited in its $4 billion acquisition of Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream Holdings, Inc.
- Guggenheim Securities and Morgan Stanley, as joint-lead bookrunners and representatives of a consortium of initial purchasers, on a $1.3 billion ABS bond offering by Jack in the Box Funding, LLC
- Irving Place Capital Management and Agiliti Holdco, Inc. (f/k/a Universal Hospital Services, Inc.) in Agliti’s combination with Federal Street Acquisition Corp. (FSAC), a SPAC sponsored by Thomas H. Lee Partners, in a new holding company formed by FSAC named Agiliti Health, Inc., having an implied enterprise value of approximately $1.74 billion
- OMERS Private Equity in its acquisition of Paradigm Outcomes
- ORIX Capital Partners in its acquisition of NTI Connect
- PSP Investments in its minority investment in Alliant Insurance Services, Inc.
- SoftBank Vision Fund, together with Toyota Motor Corporation and DENSO Corporation, in a $1 billion investment in the Advanced Technologies Group of Uber Technologies Inc.
- Susquehanna Growth Equity LLC in its minority investment in Real Capital Analytics
- TPG Global in the acquisition by TPG Pace Holdings Corp., a SPAC sponsored by an affiliate of TPG Global, of the stock of Accel Entertainment, Inc.
- TPG Growth in its preferred stock minority investment in Calm.com
Previously, Ms. Cotter was an associate in Weil’s Complex Commercial Litigation and Intellectual Property & Media practice groups, where she served on Weil teams representing Sirius XM in a multi-week trial before the Copyright Royalty Board, Getty Images in separate copyright infringement actions involving Getty’s use and licensing of photographs, and the North American Concert Promoters Association (NACPA) in Broadcast Music, Inc.’s (BMI’s) federal rate court action against NACPA to determine live concert royalty rates.
Ms. Cotter has co-authored and assisted with the publication of articles and chapters on IP-related topics, including the 2017 “Trade Marks” Chambers Global Practice Guide, as well as privacy and data security. Prior to joining Weil, Ms. Cotter received her J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where she served on the editorial board of the Virginia Law Review and as Co-Chair of the Feminist Legal Forum. Ms. Cotter received her B.A., summa cum laude, from Boston College.