- Of the Firm’s Asian attorneys, there are 10 partners, 4 counsel, and 103 associates in the U.S. and London offices.
- Each affinity group has an appointed senior leader sponsor, who is not a member of that demographic group. The sponsors are charged with understanding key issues the group members face and advocating for necessary change. Marcia Goldstein, a partner in the Business Finance & Restructuring Department, is the Management Committee Sponsor for Asian Attorneys@Weil.
The January 2017 Multicultural Attorney Conference brought together Asian, Black and Latino attorneys from across the US and London offices for career development, networking, and strategic planning. Conference Highlights include:
- “Future of Civil Rights Panel” with speakers from the Asian American Legal Defense & Education Fund, LatinoJustice, and Muslim Advocates
- Courageous Conversations about Race panel exploring PwC’s Color Brave efforts
- Gender breakout sessions featuring Calvin Gladney and Tiffany Dufu
- Lunch discussion with Executive Partner and Affinity Group Management Committee Sponsors
- Student of Color 1L Recruiting & Diversity Reception and Client Panel
- Talking Boldly About Race Workshop facilitated by Vernā Myers
Client & Alumni Development
In May 2017, the Firm hosted a professional networking reception featuring a private exhibit viewing at the DAG Modern Gallery and inspiring remarks from Larry Tu, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer of CBS Corp with Weil partner Charan Sandhu. In May 2016, the Firm co-sponsored an event with Morgan Stanley at The Rubin Museum of Art featuring a panel on representations of Asian-Americans in pop culture and media.
AsianAttorneys@Weil annually hosts a Lunar New Year event, with past celebrations including a cooking demonstration at Morimoto, a client reception with spoken word poet, Kelly Tsai, at Radiance Tea House, a private exhibit viewing at the Museum of Chinese in America, and a group dinner at Philippe. For four years, AsianAttorneys@Weil co-sponsored a Festival of Lights Diwali Celebration with the Barclays Embrace Americas Network.
Weil requires all attorneys and administrative staff across the U.S. to complete a two hour Annual Mandatory Diversity Training modeled on the ethics CLE requirement. The 2017 program was focused on “Talking Boldly About Race: Being an Upstander in a Time of Cultural Unrest” in the workplace led by Vernā Myers.
Weil’s biennial Diversity Month took place in November 2017, with events held across Weil’s U.S. and international offices on the topic of “Diversity of Thought.”
Weil hosted or participated in over 60 targeted diversity recruiting events in 2018. The U.S. 2018 summer class was 34 percent law students of color, with 20 summer associates in that class identifying as Asian/Pacific Islander.
Weil has granted 49 Diversity Fellowships of $10,000 each in scholarship awards to first and second-year law students since 2011.
Weil sponsored the South Asian Bar Association of North America’s 2018 Convention on June 28-July 1. Charan Sandhu, partner in Weil’s Technology & IP Transactions practice group, served as this year’s NASABA Convention Co-Chair
The Firm sponsors and actively participates in internship opportunities such as the Dallas Judicial Intern Opportunity Program, the Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Program (SEO) and Summer Search. Weil's New York Office has provided nearly 100 summer internships to high school and college students from community based organizations since 2013.