Her recent work has included defending Serta Simmons Bedding in multiple lawsuits challenging a first-of-its kind transaction in the leveraged loan market; representing Visa as trial counsel in an antitrust action in Texas federal court against its competitor Pulse; representing Cleveland-Cliffs, one of the largest global steel companies in the country, in a high-profile multi-district litigation against two of the nation’s four major Class I railroads alleging antitrust violations; and representing biotechnology giant United Therapeutics in a series of RICO cases challenging UT’s charitable donations that help patients secure UT’s life-saving treatments.
Additional notable experience includes:
- Successfully defending one of the few antitrust class actions tried to verdict in recent years – with nearly a billion dollars in damages at stake – on behalf of C&S Wholesale Grocers in Minnesota federal court, and sustaining that victory before the Eighth Circuit.
- Winning an Eleventh Circuit victory for Farmers Insurance in an industrywide antitrust MDL regarding insurance carriers’ reimbursement of auto body shops for repair work.
- Securing a complete arbitration trial victory for a major e-commerce company in a nine-figure contract dispute relating to a multi-year operating agreement with a former business partner. The award followed a five-day evidentiary hearing and three rounds of pre- and post-trial briefing.
- Serving as a key member of the trial team that won a complete defense verdict for Johnson & Johnson in New Jersey state court following a four-week jury trial alleging that exposure to trace amounts of asbestos in J&J’s Baby Powder caused cancer. The trial defense victory for J&J stemmed the tide of hundred-million-dollar plaintiff verdicts in the talc mass tort litigation.
- Successfully defending international chemicals and energy company Sasol Limited in a $200 million securities class action alleging that the company made false or misleading statements.
Luna also has an active pro bono practice. Most recently, she secured a preliminary injunction enjoining the implementation of a statute that would have banned nearly all abortion across the state of North Dakota. After a week-long bench trial, she also secured a complete victory for a pro bono client in a Hague Convention proceeding. And in 2017, Luna was a member of the trial team that successfully challenged the enactment and enforcement of an Arizona state statute as discriminatory under the First and Fourteenth Amendments of the Constitution.
Luna is active in Firm and other professional organizations and focuses her time on mentoring, diversity, and development. Currently, she serves as a co-leader of AsianAttorneys@Weil, Weil’s global affinity group dedicated to the recruitment, retention, and professional development of Asian attorneys. Luna also is an active member of the Asian American Bar Association in New York (AABANY), and serves as co-chair of AABANY’s Litigation Committee. In 2020, she was selected to Law360’s Trials Editorial Advisory Board.
Luna was named to Lawdragon 500’s inaugural list of “Leading Litigators in America” in 2022. In 2021, Luna was recognized by Law360 as a national “Rising Star” for Trials. In 2020, Luna was shortlisted for the 2020 “Rising Star in Litigation” Award for Euromoney Legal Medial Group’s Americas Women in Business Law Awards. She is named a “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation.
Prior to joining the Firm, Luna served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard M. Berman, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. Luna received her J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, where she was a member of the Hastings Business Law Journal. Luna received her undergraduate degree from the University of California, Santa Cruz.
Awards and Recognition, Speaking Engagements, Guides and Resources, Firm News & Announcements, Latest Thinking
Awards and Recognition
- Luna Barrington named to Lawdragon 500’s inaugural list of “Leading Litigators in America” in 2022 Award Brief — Lawdragon
- Luna Ngan Barrington Named 2021 Rising Star for Trials Award Brief — Law360 — PDF
- Luna Barrington Named a “Rising Star” for Trials Award Brief — Law360
- Luna Barrington Named a “Future Star” in New York Award Brief — Benchmark Litigation
- Luna Barrington Shortlisted for 2020 “Rising Star in Litigation” Award Award Brief — Euromoney Legal Media Group Americas Women in Business Law Awards
Firm News & Announcements
- North Dakota Supreme Court Affirms Life-Preserving Abortion as a Fundamental Right Under the State’s Constitution Litigation Win — March 16, 2023
- Eighteen Weil Partners Named Leading Litigators in America by Lawdragon in 2022 Firm Announcement — October 07, 2022
- Preparing Antitrust Experts for Trial Publication — Bloomberg Law — By David J. Lender, Eric S. Hochstadt, Luna Ngan Barrington and Sarah Ryu — PDF — June 27, 2022
- Can Your CEO Help Win Your Case? Publication — Law.com — By David J. Lender, Eric S. Hochstadt and Luna Ngan Barrington — April 11, 2022
- Not My Brother’s Keeper: Understanding the Duty To Preserve Non-Party Consultant Documents Publication — By Luna Ngan Barrington and Sarah Ryu — February 05, 2021