A first-chair trial lawyer, Dan has been recognized for several years as a leading white collar and investigations lawyer by Chambers USA, where clients have called him “a really talented and dynamic thinker who is very skilled in a number of areas” and “a fantastic advocate who has the ability to put the client at ease and is always on top of every detail.” He likewise has been recommended by Legal 500 US, where clients have commented: “Dan Stein is the reason we use the firm. His professional experience and him personally are the attractions.”
Dan is frequently engaged by clients facing high-stakes investigations in headline matters. For example, he served as lead trial counsel for an engineering firm ensnared in the Flint Water Crisis, advised a global financial institution in connection with the investigation conducted by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, and defended an individual charged in connection with the Varsity Blues college admissions scandal. Dan previously served for a decade in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York (S.D.N.Y.), with two terms of duty. Most recently, he was Chief of the S.D.N.Y.’s Criminal Division, where he oversaw all of the S.D.N.Y.’s criminal prosecutions and investigations, including those involving securities fraud, insider trading, public corruption, foreign corrupt practices, criminal tax offenses, money laundering, economic sanctions, cybercrime, narcotics trafficking, violent crimes, and terrorism. He assumed that position in July 2015, after serving as Chief Counsel to the U.S. Attorney since July 2014.
First-Chair Criminal and Civil Trial Experience
- Lead trial counsel for Veolia North America in connection with landmark, six-month federal jury trial related to personal injury claims arising out of the Flint Water Crisis.
- Lead trial counsel for the United States in connection with more than a dozen federal criminal jury trials.
- Trial counsel to German bank in connection with federal jury trial of contract dispute.
High-Stakes Investigations Experience
- Lead counsel to global advertising firm in connection with grand jury investigation of alleged FCPA violations relating to rebate payments directed to a third-party by one of the firm’s customers.
- Lead counsel to global financial institution in connection with grand jury investigation of fraudulent practices relating to the collapse of the Archegos firm.
- Lead counsel to global financial institution in connection with a dispute over access to records sought in connection with criminal investigations conducted by the Office of Special Counsel Robert Mueller.
- Lead counsel to multiple traders at different trading firms in connection with DOJ and CFTC investigations of alleged “spoofing.”
- Lead counsel to global e-commerce firm and its CEO in connection with False Claims Act investigation conducted by the office of the New York Attorney General relating to state tax treatment of certain transactions.
- Lead counsel to multi-national corporation in connection with grand jury investigations of alleged money laundering related to structured finance transactions conducted in the former Soviet Union.
- Lead counsel to Brazil-based energy firm in connection with parallel grand jury and SEC investigations of alleged FCPA violations related to payments to contractors.
- Lead counsel to domestic meat packing firm in connection with grand jury investigation of alleged unlawful hiring practices.
- Lead counsel to digital advertising firm in connection with grand jury investigation of alleged sale of “bot” traffic to advertisers.
- Lead counsel to global financial institution in connection with federal False Claims Act investigation of alleged RESPA violations related to mortgage referral practices.
- Lead counsel to meatpacking firm in connection with investigation by DOJ Antitrust Division relating to alleged bid-rigging.
- Lead counsel to officers of a public company in connection with SEC investigation of the company’s financial disclosures.
- Lead counsel to former high-ranking federal official in connection with investigation conducted by the Office of Special Counsel John Durham.
- Lead counsel to real estate executive investigated by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York for allegedly agreeing to pay bribes in connection with New York City real estate projects.
Criminal & Regulatory Defense Experience
- Lead counsel to global financial institution in connection with SEC enforcement action alleging violations of MSRB rules relating to municipal bond sales.
- Lead counsel to real estate investment firm in connection with federal civil forfeiture action brought by the DOJ to seize certain investment funds.
- Lead counsel to private equity firm in connection with securities fraud indictment of the firm’s founder and related SEC enforcement actions.
- Lead counsel to private equity firm in connection with securities fraud indictment of the CEO of a portfolio company and related SEC enforcement actions.
- Lead counsel to entrepreneur accused of fraud in connection with criminal charges arising out of the sprawling Varsity Blues college admission scandal.
- Lead counsel to employees of global financial institution in connection with SEC enforcement actions alleging violations of MSRB rules relating to municipal bond sales practices.
- Counsel to a bank CEO accused of illegally extending loans to Paul Manafort in exchange for Manafort’s assistance in obtaining a high-ranking position in the Trump Administration.
- Counsel to an investor accused of fraud in connection with criminal charges arising out of the _We Build The Wall_ campaign spearheaded by former White House advisor Steve Bannon.
- Counsel to a New York-based entrepreneur facing federal criminal charges of fraud and identity theft related to an alleged fraudulent investment scheme involving the secondary market for event tickets, and related SEC enforcement proceedings.
- Counsel to a New Jersey-based investor facing federal criminal insider trading charges and a related SEC enforcement action, based on trades made on the basis of tips received from others.
- Lead counsel to investor accused of fraud and market manipulation by the SEC.
Internal Investigations Experience
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of board of global financial institution in response to allegations of improper workplace relationships and culture at the bank’s United States subsidiary.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of the Audit Committee of the board of a domestic bank in response to whistleblower allegations brought by one of the bank’s officers.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of national law firm in connection with allegations of improper billing practices.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of global law firm in connection with allegations of extortion by one of the firm’s partners.
Government Prosecutorial Experience
Earlier in his career, Dan was an assistant U.S. attorney in the S.D.N.Y., where he investigated and prosecuted cases involving a wide range of federal crimes, including those involving companies in the financial services industry. In this role, he represented the United States in several significant criminal public corruption cases. From 2009 to 2011, he served as chief of the office’s Public Corruption Unit, where he was the principal trial counsel in more than a dozen criminal trials and argued numerous appeals in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Between stints in the S.D.N.Y., Dan spent several years as a partner in private practice, where he handled criminal and regulatory matters for a number of major financial institutions and other companies.
Immediately prior to joining Weil, Dan was a partner at another international firm, where he served as a co-leader of the White Collar Defense & Compliance group.
Earlier in his career, Dan clerked for the Honorable Leonard B. Sand of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
*includes matters handled prior to joining Weil