During Michael’s ten years of experience as a Special Agent, he investigated a wide range of federal crimes, including those in the financial services sector. While serving within the FBI’s International Corruption Unit, he investigated numerous crimes related to violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as anti-money laundering and international antitrust laws.
Since leaving the FBI for private practice, Michael has continued to work extensively on investigations led by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory agencies. He continues to focus on matters and investigations relating to the FCPA, U.S. sanctions and export controls, commercial bribery, antitrust, money laundering, and securities laws. Michael also counsels regarding compliance programs, and compliance audits/due diligence arising out of acquisitions and joint ventures.
Some of Michael’s notable experience includes serving on teams that:
- Conducted an internal investigation for a multi-national corporation in connection with grand jury investigations of alleged money laundering related to structured finance transactions conducted in the former Soviet Union.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a Brazil-based energy firm in connection with parallel grand jury and SEC investigations of alleged FCPA violations related to payments to contractors.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a domestic meat packing firm in connection with grand jury investigation of alleged unlawful hiring practices.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a digital advertising firm in connection with grand jury investigation of alleged sale of “bot” traffic to advertisers.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a global advertising firm in connection with grand jury investigation of alleged FCPA violations relating to rebate payments directed to a third-party by one of the firm’s customers.
- Conducted an internal investigation and recovery effort for a global financial institution in response to a spoofing incident at the bank’s United States subsidiary.
- Conducted an internal investigation and recommended updated internal controls for a global financial institution in response to falsification of records at the bank’s United States subsidiary.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a global entertainment company in response to alleged FCPA violations related to payments to government officials intended to influence the bidding process for a multi-billion dollar project.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a global entertainment company in response to alleged violations of foreign copyright infringement.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of a Special Committee of the board of a private equity company in response to whistleblower allegations of fraud brought by an employee from one of its holdings.
- Represented an investor accused of fraud in connection with criminal charges arising out of the “We Build the Wall” campaign spearheaded by former White House advisor Steve Bannon.
- Represented an individual accused of money laundering and tax evasion while working in a family-owned import/export business.
- Represented a doctor accused of insurance fraud and medical malpractice in a no-fault insurance scheme.
- Represented a business owner accused of commercial bribery in connection with a major municipal bid-rigging scheme in New York State.
Michael has an active pro bono practice. He has represented indigent veterans seeking legal assistance with claims against the Veterans Administration (VA). He also works extensively with indigent clients as appointed counsel pursuant to the Criminal Justice Act (CJA).
Michael worked as a Special Agent in the New York Field Office of the FBI where he brought cases in both the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. He served on various squads including a financial crimes squad, a violent crime squad, and on the DOJ’s International Corruption Unit.
Before joining the FBI, Michael worked as an equities analyst at a $70B asset management company.
Michael also served on active duty as a Surface Warfare Officer in the United States Navy for seven years during which he deployed for the Iraq war.
*includes matters handled prior to joining Weil