Jonathan is recognized as a “Highly Regarded” lawyer for Transactional Tax in the U.S. by International Tax Review’s World Tax (2022), a Texas Super Lawyer* (2020-2023), a “Best Lawyer” for Tax Law in Dallas by Best Lawyers in America** (2024) and a “Bankruptcy Tax Specialist” by Turnarounds & Workouts magazine (2020–2022). He was selected by the Dallas Business Journal as one of its “40 Under 40” honorees for 2017.
- Management of Admiral Permian Resources, LLC, in a joint venture with Pine Brook Road Partners and Riverstone Holdings, under which Pine Brook and Riverstone was to provide up to a $600 million line of equity to purchase and develop upstream assets in the Permian Basin
- Advent International in its $6.4 billion acquisition of Maxar Technologies; its approximately $1.5 billion acquisition of Encora Digital Inc.; its acquisitions of ZingFit LLC and a majority stake in ATI Physical Therapy Holdings, LLC; its acquisition of Culligan International Company; Culligan in its $1.1 billion take-private acquisition of AquaVenture Holdings Limited, its acquisitions of OASIS Corporation, TWH Filtration Industries, Inc. including its principal subsidiary Paragon Water Systems Inc. and ZIP Industries (Aust.) Pty Limited and its $6 billion sale to BDT Capital Partners, with Advent reinvesting on a minority basis; Sovos Brands in its acquisitions of Rao’s Specialty Foods Inc. and Michael Angelo’s Gourmet Foods Inc.; Transaction Services Group Limited in its acquisitions of TrueCoach, BrandBot LLC, Triib, Inc. and Mariana Tek Corporation; Distribution International in its $1 billion sale to TopBuild Corp.; and Cobham Limited in its $2.8 billion sale of Cobham Mission Systems, its $965 million sale of Cobham Aero Connectivity and its $226 million sale of Cobham Slip Rings
- Aethon Energy in the formation of Aethon United LP, a joint venture with Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan and Redbird Capital Partners; and its $735 million acquisition of northwest Louisiana natural gas assets from QEP Resources
- Aimbridge Hospitality, LLC (a portfolio company of Lee Equity Partners and General Atlantic) in its acquisitions of TMI Hospitality and of certain assets of ONE Lodging Management, Inc.; and its sale to Advent International
- Aleph Capital and Crestview Partners in their investment in Framestore and in Framestore's acquisition of Company 3 / Method following Company 3 / Method’s carve-out from Deluxe Entertainment Services Group
- American Securities in its acquisitions of The Fulham Group LLC; and of certain assets and liabilities related to the engineering, procurement and construction division of Swinerton Builders and Swinerton Renewable Energy (collectively n/k/a SOLV Energy LLC)
- Aquiline Capital Partners in its acquisition of Ontellus
- Ardian in its acquisition of a majority stake in Florida Food Products, Inc., in a transaction that valued Florida Food at more than $1 billion and Florida Food Products, Inc. in its acquisitions of Comax Manufacturing Corp. and T-Bev, Inc.
- Aterian Investment Partners in its acquisition of Allentown, LLC
- Bollé Brands, Inc. (a portfolio company of A&M Capital Advisors Europe) in its take-private of SPY Inc.
- Bonewerks CulinArte' (a portfolio company of Kainos Capital) in its acquisition of Savory Creations International, Inc.
- Brighton Park Capital, as lead investor, in an investment in Glassbox Ltd.
- Cherwell Software LLC in its sale to Ivanti, Inc. (a portfolio company of Clearlake Capital and TA Associates)
- Clearhaven Partners in its acquisition of Wowza Media Systems, LLC
- Cold Creek Solutions, Inc. in a joint venture to develop a cold storage facility in the Dallas-Fort Worth area
- Discovery Midstream Partners (the ownership vehicle for management) and other selling owners of Discovery DJ Services LLC, a joint venture of Old Ironsides Energy and Ward Energy Partners, in the sale of Discovery DJ Services to TPG Capital and rollover of a portion of management’s equity
- Discovery, Inc. in its joint venture with Magnolia, the home and lifestyle brand led by Chip and Joanna Gaines, in the formation of the Magnolia Network
- Easton Energy LLC (a portfolio company of Cresta Energy Capital) in its acquisition of the Gulf Coast natural gas liquids pipeline systems assets from The Williams Companies, Inc.
- EQT Partners in its strategic investment in United Talent Agency and WS Audiology A/S in its acquisition of the assets of My Hearing Centers, LLC
- Fieldwood Energy LLC in its $1 billion sale of all deepwater assets and certain shallow water and other assets to QuarterNorth Energy Holding, Inc., in connection with Fieldwood's chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings
- GHK Capital Partners in its acquisition of ITS Logistics, Inc
- GI Partners in its acquisition of Vast Broadband
- Golden Gate Capital in the formation of Stonehill Environmental Partners and Stonehill's acquisition of the assets of Waterfield Midstream
- Hayfin Capital Management LLP in the up to $300 million sale of Paradigm Spine, LLC; together with EW Healthcare Partners, in a $100 million convertible preferred equity investment in MiMedx Group, Inc.; and Hayfin, as lender, in the concurrent provision of $75 million term facilities for MiMedx
- ICON Health & Fitness, Inc. in a $210 million funding round led by L Catterton and including existing investor Pamplona Capital Management; and iFIT Health & Fitness Inc. (f/k/a ICON Health & Fitness) (a portfolio company of L Catteron and Pamplona Capital) in its sale of preferred stock to Planet Fitness, Inc.
- IHS Inc. in its $13 billion merger of equals with Markit Limited
- ICG Strategic Equity, together with Mill Rock Capital, in an investment in The Execu|Search Group (TESG)
- J.C. Flowers in its acquisitions of Jefferson Capital Systems, LLC and TRICOR, LLC; its acquisitions of majority stakes in iLendingDIRECT and Vericity, Inc.; together with Bain Capital and others, in the $100 million acquisition of a minority stake in Insigneo Financial Group LLC; and Jefferson’s acquisition of Canastream Holdings Ltd.
- J.Crew Group, Inc. in its restructuring efforts, which resulted in approximately 80% of the common stock to be held by the existing equity sponsor while conducting an out-of-court exchange for more than the $500 million of holding company debt
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. in its sale of approximately 50% of the portfolio companies held at the time by One Equity Partners (OEP), its principal private equity unit, and the formation by OEP professionals of OEP Capital Advisors, L.P.
- Kainos Capital in its acquisitions of Bonewerks CulinArte‘, good2grow LLC and Olde Thompson Inc.; its sale of good2grow LLC; and Olde Thompson Inc. in its acquisition of Gel Spice Company Inc. and its $950 million sale to Olam Food Ingredients
- Kettle Cuisine, LLC (a portfolio company of Kainos Capital) in its acquisition of the frozen soup business of NORPAC Foods, Inc.
- Kingfisher Midstream, LLC and its subsidiaries in their 363 bankruptcy sale of midstream assets to BCE-Mach III LLC in connection with their chapter 11 cases, which are jointly administered with the chapter 11 cases of Alta Mesa Resources, Inc. and its subsidiaries
- Koshidaka Holdings Co., Ltd. in the U.S. aspects of its acquisition of Curves and of Curves for Women II, L.C.
- KTR Capital Partners in the $5.9 billion sale by its REIT subsidiaries of real estate assets and their operating platform to Prologis Inc.
- Lee Equity Partners in its acquisitions of majority stakes in Simplicity Group Holdings and Unlimited Technology, Inc.; and, together with Twin Point Capital, in the acquisition of Alliance Corporation
- Lindsay Goldberg in its acquisition of Big Ass Solutions; its sale of Dealer Tire, LLC; and, together with Bluegrass Materials Company, LLC, in its $1.625 billion sale to Martin Marietta Materials, Inc.
- The founders of Magnetar Capital in the sale of a minority interest in Magnetar Capital Partners to an investment fund affiliated with Blackstone Alternative Asset Management
- Magnetar Capital and EIG Global Energy Partners in a $475 million perpetual preferred equity investment in CrownRock Holdings, L.P.
- Ministry Brands, LLC (at the time a portfolio company of PSG and Genstar Capital Management) in a significant investment by Insight Venture Partners with PSG exiting and Genstar retaining a significant minority position
- Mithril Capital Management, as anchor in a larger financing round, in its acquisition of a minority stake in Glance InMobi Pte. Ltd.
- Mubadala, as lead investor, in a $700 million funding round for REEF Technology (f/k/a ParkJockey Global Inc.) and, together with SoftBank Group and Oaktree, in a funding round for REEF Technology
- Nemera US Holding (a portfolio company of Montagu Private Equity) in its acquisition of Insight Product Development, LLC
- Octagon Credit Investors, LLC in its sale to Conning & Company
- Old Ironsides Energy in the $1.75 billion sale of three Delaware Basin subsidiary companies of Brazos Midstream Holdings, LLC to Morgan Stanley Infrastructure
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP) and TA Associates in the sale of a majority stake in Flexera Software LLC to Thoma Bravo, with OTPP and TA retaining minority stakes
- ORIX Capital Partners in its acquisitions of Peak Utility Services Group, Inc. and NTI Connect; and the sale by its portfolio company, Hoffman Southwest Corporation, of all of Hoffman's Roto-Rooter franchise operations to Roto-Rooter Services Company
- Poppulo (a portfolio company of Susquehanna Growth Equity) in its merger with Four Winds Interactive (a portfolio company of Vista Equity Partners)
- Primoris Services Corporation in its acquisition of Willbros Group, Inc.
- Providence Equity Partners and its portfolio company Blackboard Inc. in its sale to Anthology (a portfolio company of Veritas Capital and Leeds Equity Partners)
- PSG in its acquisitions of mPulse Mobile, Inc., Sign In App Ltd., Vault Verify LLC, Yottaa, Inc. and a majority stake in Traliant, LLC; its acquisition, together with Blue Star Innovation Partners, of PatientNOW; its investments in Skybox Security, Inc. and Blue Star Sports (n/k/a Stack Sports); the sales of majority stakes in Blue Star and Burning Glass Technologies; Blue Star’s acquisitions of Bonzi Technology, Inc. and Pointstreak Sports Technologies, Inc.; Government Brands Holdings, LLC’s acquisition of nCourt, LLC; mPulse Mobile, Inc.’s acquisition of HealthCrowd; ThreatConnect, Inc.’s acquisition of Nehemiah Security LLP; Assembly in a significant recapitalization led by Advent International; and Pineapple Payments LLC’s sale to Fiserv, Inc.; and Sovereign Sportsman Holdings, LLC sale to PayIt, LLC
- Snow Phipps Group (n/k/a TruArc Partners) in its acquisition of Trademark Cosmetics, Inc.; Ideal Tridon Holdings, Inc.; Ideal Tridon’s acquisitions of Clamp S.R.L. and ZSI-Foster, LLC; together with PIMCO, in the acquisition of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock and warrants to purchase shares of common stock of Velocity Financial, Inc.; its sales of AMAROK, LLC (f/k/a Electric Guard Dog, LLC) and Kele, Inc.; Brook & Whittle Limited in its acquisitions of the Croydon facility (f/k/a Gilbreth Packaging Solutions), Label Impressions, Inc., substantially all of the assets of Tri Print LLC and in its simultaneous acquisitions of Wizard Labels LLC and the assets of Innovative Labeling Solutions, Inc.; and Brook & Whittle (B&W) in the sale of B&W to Genstar Capital
- Storytel AB, a publicly traded company portfolio company of EQT, in its $135 million acquisition of Audiobooks.com
- Thomas H. Lee Partners in its sale of a majority stake in Juvare, LLC and, as lead investor, in an investment in Phytech Ltd.
- Tidewater Inc. in its $1.25 billion combination with GulfMark Offshore, Inc.
- Town & Country Living in its sale to H.I.G. Capital
- TPG Growth and TPG Special Situations Partners in the acquisition of a minority stake in Spotify Technology S.A.
- Trive Capital in its acquisitions of California Brazing, NCB Management Services, Inc., Picture Head Holdings, LLC and subsidiaries and Valor Healthcare Inc.; Picture Head Holdings, LLC’s acquisition of The Farm Post Production Limited; and its sale of Southern Towing Company, LLC
- TurnKey Vacation Rentals, Inc. in its merger with Vacasa LLC
- The management team of U.S. Renal Care, Inc., together with Bain Capital and other investors, in the acquisition of U.S. Renal Care from Leonard Green & Partners and other institutional investors
- Vector Solutions (a portfolio company of Providence Equity Partners), as parent of RedVector.com, LLC, in RedVector's acquisition of Convergence Training; and its sale to Golden Gate Capital
- WPX Energy, Inc. in its $2.5 billion acquisition of Felix Energy
Jonathan currently serves on the Board of Directors and as Secretary for the Vogel Alcove. He is Chair of the Dallas office’s Pro Bono Committee.
Jonathan joined Weil in 2012. Prior to joining Weil, Jonathan was a tax associate in the New York office of a leading international law firm. He received his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Arkansas School of Law in 2004, where he was an Articles Editor for the Arkansas Law Review, and his B.A., cum laude, from Pepperdine University in 2001. Jonathan also received his LL.M. in Taxation from New York University in 2008.
* Super Lawyers recognition is a Thomson Reuters service
** Best Lawyers (in America) is by Levine Leichtman Capital Partners