James acts for fund managers across a range of strategies, including private equity, infrastructure, energy, real estate and credit, but has a particular focus on “real assets” funds. Clients for whom he has recently acted on fundraising and related matters include Actis, Arcus, Argos Soditic, Brookfield, Castleforge, Dalmore, Glennmont Partners, Hastings, InfraRed, Montagu, Revetas, Whitehelm and 8 Miles.
James was named in private funds management’s 2017 “30 Under 40” List, and is listed as a “Next Generation Lawyer” for Private Funds and Real Estate Funds in Legal 500 UK 2017.
- Argos Soditic on the establishment of Euroknights VII - a €500 million pan-European mid-market private equity fund
- Actis on the establishment of Actis Long Life Infrastructure Fund – a $2 billion target emerging markets focused infrastructure fund
- InfraRed Capital Partners on the establishment of InfraRed Infrastructure Fund V – a $1.2 billion target global infrastructure fund
- Brookfield on the establishment of Brookfield Infrastructure Debt Fund – Brookfield’s debut US and European focused, $1 billion target infrastructure debt fund
- Dalmore Capital on the establishment of Dalmore Capital Fund 3 – a £950 million UK focused infrastructure fund
- InfraRed Capital Partners on the establishment of InfraRed Active Real Estate Fund IV – a £500 million target European value-add real estate fund
- Casteforge Partners on the establishment of Castleforge Partners Fund II – the largest UK focused value-add real estate fund launched by a first time manager since the Global Financial Crisis
- Revetas Capital on the establishment of Revetas Capital Fund 3 – a €450 million target central and eastern European focused real estate fund
- Arcus on a number of co-investment transactions, including in connection with the acquisition of the Gdsank Transport Company (operator of the A1 Toll Road in Poland) and TDF (a French Telecoms business), a follow-on investment into Alpha Trains (a European rolling stock operator), and the establishment of a €1 billion European infrastructure platform
- InfraRed on a number of co-investment transactions, including in connection with the acquisition of Affinity Water (a UK Water Company) and HS1 (the high speed rail-link from London to the Channel Tunnel)