John B. O’Loughlin, Jr. is counsel in Weil’s Corporate Department and is based in Washington, D.C. His practice is devoted to product safety and environmental law.
Mr. O’Loughlin advises clients on a wide range of administrative and regulatory compliance matters, with a particular focus on health and safety issues. He represents corporations in administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). He also counsels clients on how to minimize and allocate risks in mergers, acquisitions, and financing transactions.
Mr. O’Loughlin was educated at Towson University and Richmond University in London. He holds an M.A. from Boston University’s international relations program in Brussels and a J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law, where he was a member of the moot court board and served as Associate Editor of the Maryland Law Review. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Mr. O’Loughlin was a national security consultant for the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy.
Mr. O’Loughlin is recommended for Environment: Transactional by Legal 500 US.
- Represented AMP Capital Investors in its acquisition of ITS Technologies & Logistics, LLC (d/b/a ITS ConGlobal), a provider of intermodal rail terminal services, auto loading and unloading, and container depot services for clients in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
- Represented Campbell Soup Company in its $6.1 billion acquisition of Snyder’s-Lance, Inc., a manufacturer of snack food products in the United States.
- Represented Brookfield Asset Management Inc. in its pending approximately $4.8 billion acquisition of a 62% stake in Oaktree Capital Group, LLC, parent of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P., a hedge fund sponsor.
- Represented inVentiv Health, Inc. in its $4.6 billion merger with INC Research Holdings, Inc. creating Syneos Health, Inc.
- Represented Advent International in its majority investment in First Watch Restaurants, Inc. and its acquisition of Culligan International Company from Centerbridge Partners.
- Represented Eli Lilly and Company in its pending approximately $8 billion acquisition of Loxo Oncology, Inc.
- Represented EQT Partners and its portfolio company Sivantos Pte. Ltd. in its acquisitions of TruHearing, Inc. and Clearwater Clinical Limited.
- Represented THL Partners in its acquisition of 1-800 CONTACTS, an online retailer of contact lenses, from WellPoint, a health benefits company.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Tecomet, a precision contract manufacturer supporting the medical device and aerospace and defense industries, from Charlesbank Capital Partners, LLC.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners and Broad Street Principal Investments, a private-equity affiliate of Goldman Sachs & Co., in the acquisition of CTI Foods Holdings, an independent provider of custom food products to major chain restaurants in North America, from Littlejohn & Co. LLC.
- Advised Sweden-based Investor AB, a publicly traded private equity firm, on the international aspects of its acquisition of Sweden-based Permobil, a developer, manufacturer and marketer of transport and communication systems for people with functional disabilities which has an enterprise value of €655 million ($783 million), from Nordic Capital Fund V, L.P., a Jersey-based private equity investment fund.
- Counsel to Sanofi, a listed France-based pharmaceuticals company, in its acquisition of Pluromed, a US-based maker of polymer inserts for medical procedures, adding to Sanofi's biosurgery offerings.
- Represented Avista Capital Partners and its portfolio company BioReliance, provider of biologic testing, specialized toxicology and animal health services to the pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical industries, in the $350 million sale of BioReliance to Sigma-Aldrich, publicly listed producer of chemical and biochemical products used in scientific research, biotechnology and pharmaceutical development.
- Represented Avista Healthcare Public Acquisition Corp. in its acquisition of Organogenesis Inc., a developer of regenerative medicine that offers bioactive and acellular biomaterials products in advanced wound care and surgical biologics, and its proposed merger with Envigo International Holdings, Inc., an early stage non-clinical contract research organization.
- Represented OMERS Private Equity in credit facilities to finance OMERS' acquisition of Great Expressions Dental Company, a provider of dental care services at more than one hundred US locations.
- Represented Morgan Stanley as lead bookrunner in a $1 billion senior notes offering by DENTSPLY International, designer and manufacturer of laboratory and specialty dental products and consumable supplies with proceeds to fund a portion of its $1.785 billion acquisition of Sweden-based Astra Tech, manufacturer and marketer of dental implants, abutments and surgical medical devices.
- Represented OPE Accelerated (a portfolio company of OMERS Private Equity) in term and revolving financing supporting OMERS' acquisition of Accelerated Rehabilitation Centers, a chain of 180 physical therapy centers in six midwest and southern US states.
- Represented Snow Phipps Group in its acquisition of DecoPac, Inc.
- Counsel to radiology services provider Virtual Radiologic (a portfolio company of Providence Equity Partners LLC) in its $80 million syndicated mezzanine financing supporting its acquisition of publicly traded NightHawk Radiology Holdings, a remote interpreter of MRI, X-ray and other diagnostic images.