John B. O’Loughlin, Jr. is counsel in Weil’s Corporate Department and is based in Washington, D.C. His practice is devoted to product safety and environmental law.
Mr. O’Loughlin advises clients on a wide range of administrative and regulatory compliance matters, with a particular focus on health and safety issues. He represents corporations in administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). He also counsels clients on how to minimize and allocate risks in mergers, acquisitions, and financing transactions.
Mr. O’Loughlin was educated at Towson University and Richmond University in London. He holds an M.A. from Boston University’s international relations program in Brussels and a J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law, where he was a member of the moot court board and served as Associate Editor of the Maryland Law Review. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Mr. O’Loughlin was a national security consultant for the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy.
Mr. O’Loughlin is recommended for Environment: Transactional by Legal 500 US.
- Represented Churchill Capital Corp III, a SPAC sponsored by Churchill Capital Group, in its $5.7 billion merger with MultiPlan, Inc. that has an enterprise value based on the transaction of approximately $11 billion.
- Represented athenahealth, Inc. in its $5.7 billion sale to Veritas Capital and Evergreen Coast Capital (an affiliate of Elliott Management Corporation) and planned combination with Virence Health.
- Represented Froneri International Limited (a joint venture between Nestlé and PAI Partners) in its $4 billion acquisition of Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream Holdings, Inc.
- Represented Gores Metropoulos, Inc., a SPAC sponsored by affiliates of The Gores Group and Metropoulos & Co., in its $3.4 billion merger with Luminar Technologies, Inc.
- Reresented Fortress Value Acquisition Corp., a SPAC sponsored by Fortress Investment Group, in its acquisition of Secure Natural Resources and MP Materials, together the owner and operator of Mountain Pass in a stock-for-stock transaction that valued the combined company at $1.5 billion.
- Represented American Securities in its $825 million acquisition of the Life Sciences Business of NN, Inc.
- Represented Hayfin Capital Management in, together with EW Healthcare Partners, a $100 million convertible preferred equity investment in MiMedx Group, Inc. and Hayfin, as lender, in the concurrent provision of $75 million term facilities for MiMedx.
- Represented Healthcare Merger Corp., a SPAC sponsored principally by Shulman Ventures and MTS Health Partners, in its merger with SOC Telemed in a transaction that implies an initial enterprise value of $720 million.
- Represented Oak Hill Capital Partners and its portfolio company EPIC Insurance Brokers and Consultants (EPIC) in the merger of EPIC and JenCap Holdings, LLC (a portfolio company of The Carlyle Group); and EPIC in its acquisition of Prime Risk Partners Inc.
- Represented Quest Diagnostics Inc. in its acquisition of Blueprint Genetics Oy.
- Represented TCV as lead investor in a $200 million Series C funding round for Capsule Corporation.
- Represented Mudrick Capital Acquisition Corporation, a SPAC sponsored by Mudrick Capital, in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Hycroft Mining Corporation, with an initial enterprise value of approximately $537 million.
- Represented Vander-Bend Manufacturing, Inc. (a portfolio company of Aterian Investment Partners) in its acquisition of substantially all the assets of TMK Manufacturing, Inc.
- Represented Aquiline Capital Partners in its acquisition of Ontellus.
- Represented Blackstone in its acquisition of a majority stake in ZO Skin Health, Inc.
- Represented Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of Lendlease (US) Telecom Holdings LLC (n/k/a Parallel Infrastructure).
- Represented Pioneer Metal Finishing, LLC (a portfolio company of Aterian Investment Partners) in its acquisition of Pilkington Metal Finishing LLC.
- Represented Montagu Private Equity in its $490 million acquisition of the original equipment manufacturing (OEM) and tissue processing businesses of RTI Surgical, Inc.
- Represented Providence Strategic Growth Partners in its acquisition of Next Glass, Inc. and its significant investment in Semarchy SAS.
- Represented Cornell Capital in the business combination of Knowlton Development Corporation (KDC/ONE) and HCT Group Holdings Limited and in KDC/ONE’s acquisition of Zobele Holding S.p.A.
- Represented Irving Place Capital Management and Agiliti Holdco, Inc. (f/k/a Universal Hospital Services, Inc.) in Agliti’s combination with Federal Street Acquisition Corp. (FSAC), a SPAC sponsored by Thomas H. Lee Partners, in a new holding company formed by FSAC named Agiliti Health, Inc., having an implied enterprise value of approximately $1.74 billion.
- Represented AMP Capital Investors in its acquisition of ITS ConGlobal.
- Represented Campbell Soup Company in various matters, including its $6.1 billion acquisition of Snyder’s-Lance, Inc.; in its $2.2 billion sale of Campbell International, Inc.; and in its sales of Bolthouse Farms, Garden Fresh Gourmet and Kelsen Group A/S.
- Represented Brookfield Asset Management Inc. in its approximatrtely $4.8 billion acquisition of a 61.2% stake in Oaktree Capital Group, LLC, parent of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P., a hedge fund sponsor.
- Represented inVentiv Health, Inc. in its $4.6 billion merger with INC Research Holdings, Inc. creating Syneos Health, Inc.
- Represented Antin Infrastructure Partners in its acquisition of FirstLight Fiber and in FirstLight Fiber’s acquisition of Maine Fiber Company.
- Represented Advent International in its acquisitions of Culligan International Company, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Definitive Healthcare, LLC and a 45% stake in Conservice, LLC; its majority investment in First Watch Restaurants, Inc.; in its sale of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf; in Culligan’s $1.1 billion take-private acquisition of AquaVenture Holdings Limited and acquisition of TWH Filtration Industries, Inc. including its principal subsidiary Paragon Water Systems Inc. and OASIS Corporation; and Sovos Brands in its acquisition of Birch Benders, LLC.
- Represented Berkshire Partners, together with WCAS and Tetrad Ventures (GIC), in a sizable minority investment in U.S. Anesthesia Partners, Inc., with physician shareholders of U.S. Anesthesia retaining a majority stake and together with Warburg Pincus, in the recapitalization of Consolidated Precision Products
- Represented Eli Lilly and Company in its approximately $8 billion acquisition of Loxo Oncology, Inc. and in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Dermira, Inc.
- Represented Centerbridge Partners in its sale of P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Inc.
- Represented EQT Partners and its portfolio company Sivantos Pte. Ltd. (n/k/a WS Audiology A/S) in its acquisitions of TruHearing, Inc. and Clearwater Clinical Limited.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Tecomet from Charlesbank Capital Partners, LLC.
- Represented Knowlton Development Corporation (a portfolio company of Cornell Capital) in its acquisition of Benchmark Cosmetic Laboratories, Inc.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners and Broad Street Principal Investments, a private-equity affiliate of Goldman Sachs & Co., in the acquisition of CTI Foods Holdings from Littlejohn & Co. LLC.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its acquisition of 1-800 CONTACTS from WellPoint and in Intermedix Corporation (a portfolio company of Thomas H. Lee Partners) $460 million sale to R1 RCM Inc.
- Advised Sweden-based Investor AB on the international aspects of its acquisition of Sweden-based Permobil, which has an enterprise value of $783 million from Nordic Capital Fund V, L.P.
- Counsel to Sanofi in its $11.6 billion acquisition of Bioverativ Inc, its $3.7 billion acquisition of Principia Biopharma Inc. and its acquisition of Pluromed.
- Represented Avista Capital Partners and its portfolio company BioReliance in the $350 million sale of BioReliance to Sigma-Aldrich.
- Represented Avista Healthcare Public Acquisition Corp. in its acquisition of Organogenesis Inc. and its proposed merger with Envigo International Holdings, Inc.
- Represented OMERS Private Equity in credit facilities to finance OMERS' acquisition of Great Expressions Dental Company.
- Represented Morgan Stanley as lead bookrunner in a $1 billion senior notes offering by DENTSPLY International with proceeds to fund a portion of its $1.785 billion acquisition of Sweden-based Astra Tech.
- Represented OPE Accelerated (a portfolio company of OMERS Private Equity) in term and revolving financing supporting OMERS’ acquisition of Accelerated Rehabilitation Centers.
- Represented Snow Phipps Group in its acquisition of DecoPac, Inc.