John B. O’Loughlin, Jr. is counsel in Weil’s Corporate Department and is based in Washington, D.C. His practice is devoted to product safety and environmental law.
Mr. O’Loughlin advises clients on a wide range of administrative and regulatory compliance matters, with a particular focus on health and safety issues. He represents corporations in administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). He also counsels clients on how to minimize and allocate risks in mergers, acquisitions, and financing transactions.
Mr. O’Loughlin was educated at Towson University and Richmond University in London. He holds an M.A. from Boston University’s international relations program in Brussels and a J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law, where he was a member of the moot court board and served as Associate Editor of the Maryland Law Review. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Mr. O’Loughlin was a national security consultant for the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy.
Mr. O’Loughlin is recommended for Environment: Transactional by Legal 500 US.
- Represented athenahealth, Inc. in its $5.7 billion sale to Veritas Capital and Evergreen Coast Capital (an affiliate of Elliott Management Corporation) and planned combination with Virence Health
- Represented Froneri International Limited (a joint venture between Nestlé and PAI Partners) in its $4 billion acquisition of Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream Holdings, Inc.
- Represented Mudrick Capital Acquisition Corporation, a SPAC sponsored by Mudrick Capital, in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Hycroft Mining Corporation, with an initial enterprise value of approximately $537 million.
- Represented Cornell Capital in the business combination of Knowlton Development Corporation (KDC/ONE) and HCT Group Holdings Limited.
- Represented Irving Place Capital Management and Agiliti Holdco, Inc. (f/k/a Universal Hospital Services, Inc.) in Agliti’s combination with Federal Street Acquisition Corp. (FSAC), a SPAC sponsored by Thomas H. Lee Partners, in a new holding company formed by FSAC named Agiliti Health, Inc., having an implied enterprise value of approximately $1.74 billion.
- Represented AMP Capital Investors in its acquisition of ITS ConGlobal, a provider of intermodal rail terminal services, auto loading and unloading, and container depot services for clients in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
- Represented Campbell Soup Company in various matters, including its $6.1 billion acquisition of Snyder’s-Lance, Inc.; in its $2.2 billion sale of Campbell International, Inc.; and in its sales of Bolthouse Farms, Garden Fresh Gourmet and Kelsen Group A/S.
- Represented Brookfield Asset Management Inc. in its approximately $4.8 billion acquisition of a 61.2% stake in Oaktree Capital Group, LLC, parent of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P., a hedge fund sponsor.
- Represented inVentiv Health, Inc. in its $4.6 billion merger with INC Research Holdings, Inc. creating Syneos Health, Inc.
- Represented Antin Infrastructure Partners in its acquisition of FirstLight Fiber and in FirstLight Fiber’s acquisition of Maine Fiber Company.
- Represented Advent International in its acquisitions of Culligan International Company, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Definitive Healthcare, LLC; its majority investment in First Watch Restaurants, Inc.; in its sale of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf; and in Culligan’s pending $1.1 billion acquisition of AquaVenture Holdings Limited and acquisition of TWH Filtration Industries, Inc. including its principal subsidiary Paragon Water Systems Inc. and OASIS Corporation.
- Represented Berkshire Partners, together with WCAS and Tetrad Ventures (GIC), in a sizable minority investment in U.S. Anesthesia Partners, Inc., a single-specialty physician service provider of practice management services to anesthesiologists in the United States, with physician shareholders of U.S. Anesthesia retaining a majority stake.
- Represented Berkshire Partners, together with Warburg Pincus, in the recapitalization of Consolidated Precision Products Corp.
- Represented Eli Lilly and Company in its approximately $8 billion acquisition of Loxo Oncology, Inc. and in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Dermira, Inc.
- Represented Centerbridge Partners in its sale of P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Inc., a chain of, at the time, approximately 210 restaurants in the United States, Mexico, the Middle East and Puerto Rico
- Represented EQT Partners and its portfolio company Sivantos Pte. Ltd. (n/k/a WS Audiology A/S) in its acquisitions of TruHearing, Inc. and Clearwater Clinical Limited.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Tecomet, a precision contract manufacturer supporting the medical device and aerospace and defense industries, from Charlesbank Capital Partners, LLC.
- Represented Knowlton Development Corporation (a portfolio company of Cornell Capital) in its acquisition of Benchmark Cosmetic Laboratories, Inc.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners and Broad Street Principal Investments, a private-equity affiliate of Goldman Sachs & Co., in the acquisition of CTI Foods Holdings, an independent provider of custom food products to major chain restaurants in North America, from Littlejohn & Co. LLC;
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its acquisition of 1-800 CONTACTS, an online retailer of contact lenses, from WellPoint, a health benefits company; and in Intermedix Corporation (a portfolio company of Thomas H. Lee Partners) $460 million sale to R1 RCM Inc.
- Advised Sweden-based Investor AB, a publicly traded private equity firm, on the international aspects of its acquisition of Sweden-based Permobil, a developer, manufacturer and marketer of transport and communication systems for people with functional disabilities which has an enterprise value of $783 million from Nordic Capital Fund V, L.P., a Jersey-based private equity investment fund.
- Counsel to Sanofi, a listed France-based pharmaceuticals company, in its $11.6 billion acquisition of Bioverativ Inc., a developer of therapies for the treatment of hemophilia and other rare blood disorders, and its acquisition of Pluromed, a US-based maker of polymer inserts for medical procedures.
- Represented Avista Capital Partners and its portfolio company BioReliance, provider of biologic testing, specialized toxicology and animal health services to the pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical industries, in the $350 million sale of BioReliance to Sigma-Aldrich, publicly listed producer of chemical and biochemical products used in scientific research, biotechnology and pharmaceutical development.
- Represented Avista Healthcare Public Acquisition Corp. in its acquisition of Organogenesis Inc., a developer of regenerative medicine that offers bioactive and acellular biomaterials products in advanced wound care and surgical biologics, and its proposed merger with Envigo International Holdings, Inc., an early stage non-clinical contract research organization.
- Represented OMERS Private Equity in credit facilities to finance OMERS' acquisition of Great Expressions Dental Company, a provider of dental care services at more than one hundred US locations.
- Represented Morgan Stanley as lead bookrunner in a $1 billion senior notes offering by DENTSPLY International, designer and manufacturer of laboratory and specialty dental products and consumable supplies with proceeds to fund a portion of its $1.785 billion acquisition of Sweden-based Astra Tech, manufacturer and marketer of dental implants, abutments and surgical medical devices.
- Represented OPE Accelerated (a portfolio company of OMERS Private Equity) in term and revolving financing supporting OMERS’ acquisition of Accelerated Rehabilitation Centers, a chain of 180 physical therapy centers in six midwest and southern US states.
- Represented Snow Phipps Group in its acquisition of DecoPac, Inc., a supplier of cake decorating products to professional cake decorators and bakeries.
- Counsel to radiology services provider Virtual Radiologic (a portfolio company of Providence Equity Partners LLC) in its $80 million syndicated mezzanine financing supporting its acquisition of publicly traded NightHawk Radiology Holdings, a remote interpreter of MRI, X-ray and other diagnostic images.