Sunny Singh is a partner in the Firm’s Business Finance & Restructuring Department.
Mr. Singh advises debtors, creditors, sponsors, investors, acquirers, lenders and other interested parties in all aspects of distressed and insolvency situations both in and out-of-court. Mr. Singh has extensive experience with prepackaged chapter 11 cases and asset sales under the Bankruptcy Code. Mr. Singh’s engagements have ranged across various industries, including airlines, banking, financial services, oil and gas and retail.
Mr. Singh’s notable experience includes advising:
- Tops Supermarkets, a regional supermarket chain with more than 15,000 employees and $1 billion in debt, in its chapter 11 restructuring.
- Southeastern Grocers LLC, the fifth-largest supermarket chain in the United States, in its prepackaged chapter 11 reorganization involving more than $1 billion in debt.
- Walter Investment Management, Inc., the fifth largest mortgage servicer in the United States, in its restructuring efforts related to more than $2 billion in funded debt obligations.
- J.Crew Group, Inc., one of the nation’s premier clothing retailers with approximately $2 billion in funded debt, in its groundbreaking out-of-court exchange, which won the Financial Times North America Innovative Lawyers Report 2017 award for “Accessing New Markets and Capital.”
- Central Grocers, Inc., which was the 7th largest grocery cooperative in the US prior to its filing, and its affiliates in their chapter 11 cases involving the sale of their retail grocery and distribution operations.
- General Electric Company and its affiliates, as sponsor, in the prepackaged chapter 11 case of Homer City Generation L.P., a coal-fired, independent power production plant with $600 million in secured debt prior to its filing.
- American Gilsonite Company and its affiliates in their prepackaged restructuring cases.
- Fairway Group Holdings and its subsidiaries, an iconic New York supermarket, in their prepackaged chapter 11 cases, which transaction was recognized as the 2017 Consumer Staples Deal of the Year (over $100 million) by The M&A Advisor.
- The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A&P) and its subsidiaries in their chapter 11 cases commenced in 2015.
- AMR Corporation and its US subsidiaries, including American Airlines, Inc., in their chapter 11 restructuring and merger with US Airways.
- Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and its affiliates in their historic bankruptcy cases.
Mr. Singh was recently recognized by Law360 as a “Rising Star” for Bankruptcy in 2017 amongst a handful of attorneys under the age of 40 whose legal accomplishments belie their age. He was also named by Turnarounds & Workouts magazine as one of its “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyers” for 2017. He has spoken on panels addressing strategies relating to prepackaged chapter 11 cases and retail restructurings and has also published articles and blogs on various bankruptcy and restructuring topics.
Prior to joining the Firm, Singh clerked for the Honorable Robert D. Drain at the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York from 2006 to 2008.
Mr. Singh is fluent in Hindi.