Sunny Singh is a partner in the Firm’s Business Finance & Restructuring Department.
Mr. Singh advises debtors, creditors, sponsors, investors, acquirers, lenders and other interested parties in all aspects of distressed and insolvency situations both in and out-of-court. Mr. Singh has extensive experience with prepackaged chapter 11 cases and asset sales under the Bankruptcy Code. Mr. Singh’s engagements have ranged across various industries, including airlines, banking, financial services, oil and gas and retail.
Mr. Singh’s notable experience includes advising:
- Walter Investment Management, Inc., the fifth largest mortgage servicer in the United States, in its restructuring efforts related to more than $2 billion in funded debt obligations.
- J.Crew Group, Inc., one of the nation’s premier clothing retailers with approximately $2 billion in funded debt, in its successful out-of-court exchange.
- Central Grocers, Inc., which was the 7th largest grocery cooperative in the US prior to its filing, and its affiliates in their chapter 11 cases involving the sale of their retail grocery and distribution operations.
- General Electric Company and its affiliates, as sponsor, in the prepackaged chapter 11 case of Homer City Generation L.P., a coal-fired, independent power production plant with $600 million in secured debt prior to its filing.
- American Gilsonite Company and its affiliates in their prepackaged restructuring cases.
- Fairway Group Holdings and its subsidiaries, an iconic New York supermarket, in their prepackaged chapter 11 cases.
- The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A&P) and its subsidiaries in their chapter 11 cases commenced in 2015.
- Other retail companies in their restructuring efforts.
- AMR Corporation and its US subsidiaries, including American Airlines, Inc., in their chapter 11 restructuring and merger with US Airways.
- Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and its affiliates in their historic bankruptcy cases.
Mr. Singh was recently recognized by Law360 as a “Rising Star” for Bankruptcy in 2017 amongst attorneys under the age of 40 whose legal accomplishments belie their age. He was also named by Turnarounds & Workouts magazine as one of its “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyers” for 2017. He has spoken on panels addressing strategies relating to prepackaged chapter 11 cases and retail restructurings and has also published articles and blogs on various bankruptcy and restructuring topics. Mr. Singh served as a teaching assistant to Harvey R. Miller as guest lecturer at Harvard Law School’s introductory bankruptcy course.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Singh clerked for the Honorable Robert D. Drain at the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York from 2006 to 2008.
Mr. Singh is fluent in Hindi.