Notable Representations, Key Contacts
Environmental, Health and Safety
Weil’s Environmental Transactions team has broad experience advising on the environmental aspects of all types of transactions – mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, financings, securities offerings and disclosure, restructurings, liquidations, as well as special projects involving real estate, infrastructure development, environmental and representations and warranties insurance and loan guarantees. Weil’s Environmental Transactions lawyers understand how environmental and sustainability issues impact businesses and assist clients in identifying and managing environmental risks both in the transactional context and beyond. We regularly counsel clients on the environmental aspects of ESG or sustainability-related matters potentially affecting their businesses. In addition, Weil lawyers have significant experience addressing environmental liabilities in corporate restructurings, often using novel legal strategies to reach creative solutions that benefit debtors, creditors and the public. Our lawyers regularly advise clients across the globe on the environmental matters arising in almost every industry, working seamlessly within the context of each particular matter to achieve optimal outcomes.
Weil’s Foreign Investment team helps our clients successfully navigate foreign direct investment (FDI) reviews, including those conducted by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), as well as other regulatory processes associated with cross-border mergers and acquisitions. We are fully integrated with our M&A and Private Equity teams, allowing us to proactively identify, understand and resolve FDI issues, often during strategic development planning. We also advise U.S. manufacturers and exporters of defense articles, as well as foreign investors in the sector, regarding submissions to the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), including notices triggered by transactions resulting in foreign ownership or foreign control. In addition, we counsel U.S.-based businesses regarding mandatory inbound and outbound investment reports to the Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA).
Weil’s International Trade team provides compliance advice and transactional guidance regarding economic and financial sanctions administered by the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC); export controls, including the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR); international procurement and investment restrictions; and import/customs, anti-boycott and other international trade laws and regulations. We advise clients regarding international trade issues and risks that arise during significant transactions and in the ordinary course of business and with respect to the submission of voluntary disclosures; license, registration and classification requests; and blocked property and other reports to OFAC, DDTC and the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS).
Weil’s Financial Regulatory team advises clients regarding the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery and anti-corruption laws, sanctions, anti-money laundering laws and regulations and associated commercial and reputational considerations. We also counsel clients regarding various federal and state consumer financial regulatory regimes that apply to sales finance companies and other lenders, companies that handle and must report and escheat abandoned and unclaimed property, money transmitters and other money services businesses and other covered financial institutions. We regularly provide financial regulatory guidance to strategic and private equity buyers and sellers during mergers and acquisitions, to banks and other financial institutions in their roles as lenders and underwriters, to borrowers and issuers and to investors in and managers of public and private funds. Our Financial Regulatory team also assists clients with the implementation and strengthening of compliance policies and procedures and during internal and governmental investigations.
Weil’s Government Contracts team advises on transactions and compliance matters involving companies providing products and services to agencies at all levels of government, whether as prime contractors or as subcontractors. Our team has extensive knowledge of the complex nature of transactions involving such companies, including managing anti-assignment restrictions, novations and issues posed when the acquisition involves a small business or minority business enterprise subject to the nuanced affiliation regulations of the Small Business Administration (SBA) or other governmental programs. In addition, any acquisition by non-U.S. buyers of a contractor holding a facility security clearance must mitigate potential Foreign Ownership, Control or Influence (FOCI) through a mitigation agreement approved by the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA) or one of its counterpart agencies. We have represented a wide range of companies with transactions subject to the FOCI mitigation process, including handling the due diligence phase, coordinating with the CFIUS team (described above) and implementing FOCI mitigation measures.
Product Safety Compliance
Weil’s FDA Regulatory team advises on a wide range of administrative and regulatory compliance matters for companies subject to the jurisdiction of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), including manufacturers and importers of food, drugs, medical devices, cosmetics, dietary supplements, animal food and drugs, ingredients and packaging and labeling or regulated products. We also provide counseling to clients regarding other safety-related government agencies, including the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
Weil’s Insurance team has broad experience with respect to all aspects of management liability insurance, inclusive of directors’ and officers’ liability, fiduciary liability, professional liability and employment practices liability. We assess risk factors and insurance-related issues pertaining to mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings (IPOs), Special Purpose Acquisition Corporations (SPACs) and de-SPAC transactions. In addition, we provide advice to entities in bankruptcy or restructuring situations with respect to how insurance programs operate in such scenarios. We also coordinate placements of Representations and Warranties insurance programs in conjunction with mergers and acquisitions, Tax Liability insurance programs and Litigation Risk insurance programs. We assist with resolution of claims, keep abreast of all significant insurance industry developments on a global basis and advise on innovative insurance products that transfer risk in an efficient manner.
- +1 202 682 7037
Shawn B. Cooley
- +1 202 682 7103
- +44 20 7903 1767
- +322 883 5680
Kevin J. Sullivan
- +1 (212) 310-8780
See list of lawyers globally
Clients note that the Firm is “top-notch”
Chambers USA 2021
Ranked Band 1 for Environment: Mainly Transactional in D.C.
Chambers USA 2022
Named a “Leading” Firm for International Trade
Legal 500 US 2022
Ranked Tier 1 for Environment: Transactional
Legal 500 US 2022
Environmental Head Annemargaret Connolly Ranked Band 1 for Environment: Mainly Transactional in D.C.
Chambers USA 2022
Regulatory Partner Shawn Cooley Named a “Leading” Lawyer for International Trade: CFIUS Experts
Chambers Global 2023 and Chambers USA 2022
Awards and Recognition, Speaking Engagements, Latest Thinking, Firm News & Announcements
Awards and Recognition
- Weil Ranked Band 1 for Environment: Mainly Transactional in D.C. Award Brief — Chambers USA 2022
- Weil Ranked Tier 1 for Environment: Transactional Award Brief — Legal 500 US 2022
- Weil Named a “Leading” Firm for International Trade Award Brief — Legal 500 US 2022
- Weil Ranked as a “Leading” Firm for Environment: Mainly Transactional in the U.S. Award Brief — Chambers USA 2021
- Annemargaret Connolly Ranked Band 1 for Environment: Mainly Transactional in D.C. Award Brief — Chambers USA 2022
- Shawn Cooley Named a “Leading” Lawyer for International Trade: CFIUS Experts Award Brief — Chambers Global 2023
- Shawn Cooley Named a “Leading” Lawyer for Nationwide International Trade: CFIUS Experts Award Brief — Chambers USA 2022
- Named National Tier 1 Environmental Law Practice Award Brief — U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” Survey 2021 (Best Lawyers (in America) is by Levine Leichtman Capital Partners)
16th Annual Environmental Transactional Roundtable
Matthew D. Morton
June 24, 2022 — New York, NY — Weil Environmental counsel Matthew Morton spoke on a panel titled “Due Diligence Approaches and Hot Topics” as part of the 16th Annual Environmental Transactional Roundtable.
8th National Conference on CFIUS
Shawn B. Cooley
April 27, 2022 — Washington, D.C. — Weil Corporate partner Shawn B. Cooley spoke on a panel titled “The Present and Future of CFIUS Scrutiny for Non-Notified Sectors: New Technology Sectors Under the Microscope – From Bio Tech to Dating Apps” as part of American Conference Institute’s 8th National Conference on CFIUS.
- U.S. Implements New Export Controls on Advanced Computing and Semiconductor Manufacturing Items Restricting Chinese Access and Updates BIS’s Unverified List Alert — Foreign Investment & Trade — By Shawn B. Cooley, Timothy C. Welch and Nathan Cunningham — PDF — November 08, 2022
- OFAC Issues Sanctions Compliance Guidelines for Virtual Currency Industry Alert — Global Private Equity Watch — By Shawn B. Cooley and Timothy C. Welch — PDF — October 25, 2021
- More Resources, More Tools: The 2020 Annual CFIUS Report Shows Faster Clearance Times and More Robust Review Capabilities Alert — Global Private Equity Watch — By Shawn B. Cooley, Nathan Cunningham and Timothy C. Welch — PDF — August 17, 2021
Firm News & Announcements
- Weil Advises Px3 Partners on the Acquisition of the Filtration Division of Celeros Flow Technology Deal Brief — May 10, 2023
- Weil Advises the Initial Purchasers and the Lead Arrangers in Clarios’ Upsized Private Offering of Senior Secured Notes and Upsized Term Loan Facility Deal Brief — May 05, 2023
- Weil Advised Goldman Sachs on $8.175B Bridge Facility for Emerson Electric Co. Deal Brief — April 17, 2023
- Weil Guides WellSpring Consumer Healthcare in Acquisition of Bayer AG Skin Care Brands Deal Brief — April 04, 2023
- Weil Elects 12 New Partners and Announces New Counsel Class Firm Announcement — November 22, 2022