Foreign Investment & Trade
Notable Representations, Key Contacts
Our team works collaboratively with the M&A and Private Equity teams on the structuring and negotiation of transactions in an effort to anticipate and address regulatory concerns in the earliest stages of transaction planning. Given our broad-based experience, we are able to help clients proactively identify, understand and resolve CFIUS issues, often during strategic corporate development planning. Our experience across business sectors helps our clients address potential national security concerns well before any engagement with CFIUS occurs.
Our FIT team also provides comprehensive strategic counseling related to a wide variety of international trade matters, including: transactional due diligence and compliance with sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC); export controls administered by the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC); import/customs; the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA); and other anti-bribery and anti-corruption laws, anti-money laundering laws, anti-boycott laws and other international trade and investment matters.
The FIT team has deep experience in numerous industry sectors, including technology, telecommunications, energy, real estate, financial services, health care and pharma, manufacturing, transportation, infrastructure and consumer goods.
Shawn B. Cooley
- +1 202 682 7103
- +44 20 7903 1767
- +322 883 5680
Timothy C. Welch
- +1 202 682 7132
See list of lawyers globally
Awards and Recognition, Speaking Engagements, Latest Thinking, Firm News & Announcements
Awards and Recognition
- Weil Named a “Leading” Firm for International Trade Award Brief — Legal 500 US 2022
- Shawn Cooley Named a “Leading” Lawyer for International Trade: CFIUS Experts Award Brief — Chambers Global 2023
- Shawn Cooley Named a “Leading” Lawyer for Nationwide International Trade: CFIUS Experts Award Brief — Chambers USA 2022
9th National Conference on CFIUS
Shawn B. Cooley
April 13, 2023 — Washington, D.C. — Weil Corporate partner Shawn B. Cooley spoke on a panel titled “Non-Notified Transactions: Unpacking How the Committee is Now Approaching Reviews and Approvals – and the Timelines” as part of American Conference Institute’s 10th National Conference on CFIUS.
8th National Conference on CFIUS
Shawn B. Cooley
April 27, 2022 — Washington, D.C. — Weil Corporate partner Shawn B. Cooley spoke on a panel titled “The Present and Future of CFIUS Scrutiny for Non-Notified Sectors: New Technology Sectors Under the Microscope – From Bio Tech to Dating Apps” as part of American Conference Institute’s 8th National Conference on CFIUS.
- CFIUS Publishes Two New FAQs that have Material Implications for Parties Filing with CFIUS Alert — Foreign Investment & Trade — By Shawn B. Cooley, Nathan Cunningham, Christina Carone and William Looney — PDF — June 05, 2023
- CFIUS Seeks to Expand its Jurisdiction Over Real Estate Transactions via Proposed New Rule Alert — Foreign Investment & Trade — By Shawn B. Cooley, Nathan Cunningham, Christina Carone and William Looney — PDF — May 15, 2023
- From the Bully Pulpit: President Biden Orders CFIUS to Strengthen Its Reviews in Light of Evolving National Security Risks Alert — Foreign Investment & Trade — By Shawn B. Cooley, Nathan Cunningham, Timothy C. Welch, Christina Carone and William Looney — PDF — October 03, 2022
- The 2021 Annual CFIUS Report Shows the Committee’s Ability to Review More Transactions with Improved Timelines Alert — Foreign Investment & Trade — By Shawn B. Cooley, Nathan Cunningham and Christina Carone — PDF — August 08, 2022
Firm News & Announcements
- Weil Advised Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. in its $960M Acquisition of Antares Pharma, Inc. Deal Brief — May 24, 2022
- Weil Advised Blackstone in its Sale of Concert Golf Partners to Clearlake Capital Group Deal Brief — April 21, 2022
- Weil Advised CVC Capital Partners in its Acquisition of Radwell International, LLC Deal Brief — April 01, 2022
- Weil Advised Cornell Capital-Backed kdc/one in Investment by KKR and Acquisition of Aerofil Technology, Inc. Deal Brief — March 30, 2022
- Weil Advised Allego Holding B.V. in its $3.14B Business Combination with Spartan Acquisition Corp. III Deal Brief — March 16, 2022
- Weil Advised Sanofi in its up to $1.225B Acquisition of Amunix Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Deal Brief — February 08, 2022
- Weil Advised Gores Metropoulos II, Inc. in its $1.925B Business Combination with Sonder Holdings Inc. Deal Brief — January 18, 2022
- Weil Advised Magellan Health in its $2.2B Merger with Centene Corporation Deal Brief — January 06, 2022