Marc’s principal area of expertise is the establishment and regulation of fund and investment structures. Marc has extensive experience providing legal and compliance advice to fund and asset managers based in the UK, Europe, North America and Asia in relation to fundraising and general financial services regulatory issues under UK, European and global financial services law and regulation. Marc has spent time as in-house counsel at a global alternative asset manager (Brookfield Asset Management) and a global bank. Marc regularly:
- advises a wide-range of clients across private equity, credit, infrastructure and real estate in relation to structuring of private funds, the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive and global marketing of investment funds;
- provides strategic advice and operational support in relation to governance and other compliance arrangements to comply with changes in EU / UK financial services regulation, including MiFID II and PRIIPS;
- advises on the establishment of new investment businesses in the UK, applications for FCA authorisation, the establishment of compliance processes for investment businesses and provides ongoing regulatory advice in relation to matters such as insider trading & market abuse, conduct issues, conflicts of interest, financial promotions, senior manager arrangements, anti-money laundering requirements and general compliance with FCA rules; and
- conducts regulatory due diligence in relation to acquisitions of regulated businesses and negotiates regulatory approval for changes of control in connection with such transactions.
Marc also advises a number of charitable / not-for-profit organisations in relation to establishment and regulation of fund and investment structures on a pro bono basis often involving complex regulatory perimeter and structuring issues.
Firm News & Announcements, Latest Thinking
Firm News & Announcements
- Weil Shortlisted in the Fund Formation Category at The Drawdown Awards Firm Announcement — March 21, 2023
- Weil Advises Infracapital on the Fundraise of Infracapital Greenfield Partners II Deal Brief — November 11, 2021
Reform to UK VAT treatment of fund management: consultation published
Blog Post — Tax Blog
Daniella Abel and
— December 16, 2022
On 9 December 2022, the UK government launched a consultation setting out its proposed reforms of the UK VAT treatment of fund management. The full consultation can be found here. The consultation is the long awaited follow up to Budget 2020 in which a wide-ranging review of the UK’s funds regime, covering both tax and
The post Reform to UK VAT treatment of fund management: consultation published appeared first on Weil Tax BLOG....