Hayley’s experience and technical expertise is incredibly broad. In addition to advising in connection with a wide range of complex cross border commercial disputes, both before the English Courts and before ad hoc and institutional tribunals under major arbitral rules, Hayley’s practice also spans investigations, employment matters, compliance and regulatory advisory work and contentious restructurings.
Her clients include a range of major international corporations and financial institutions operating out of a variety of sectors, including mining, hospitality, telecoms, pharmaceutical, industrial, media and fund management.
Hayley has been named among The Lawyer’s Hot 100 for 2022, which notes the breadth of Hayley’s practice and her expertise in contentious employment proceedings, regulatory matters and internal investigations, in addition to commercial disputes. In 2021, Hayley was honoured as one of just 25 “Rising Stars” under 40 by Legal Week, “who represent the best and brightest the U.K. market has to offer.” She is recently described in Legal 500 as “practical, responsive, hands-on and very efficient” and “bright, hardworking and committed”. In 2014, Hayley was selected to the London Super Lawyers list for her commercial litigation expertise.
Hayley also frequently acts for the Firm’s pro bono clients. Her recent pro bono work notably includes advising Refuge regarding its proposed amendments to the Domestic Abuse Bill (now the Domestic Abuse Act) and its response to the Law Commission’s consultation on intimate image abuse. Hayley regularly provides pro bono legal advice through the Citizen’s Advice Bureau at the Royal Courts of Justice.
Hayley is a member of the Junior London Solicitors Litigation Association and the Young International Arbitration Group. Additionally, Hayley has successfully completed the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre’s tribunal secretary accreditation programme.
Representative matters include acting for:
- Petropavlovsk Plc, on a variety of contentious and regulatory matters, including internal and external investigations and Employment Tribunal proceedings
- A leading global private equity house and one of its portfolio groups in connection with an investigation into alleged bribery by a portfolio company employee of a public official in China
- A leading global private equity house and one of its portfolio groups in connection with an investigation into alleged bribery by a portfolio company employee of a public official in Italy
- A global food and beverage group, regarding a dispute with a key supplier and in connection with the supplier’s subsequent insolvency
- The UK Government, in connection with compliance and governance related risks arising out of its acquisition of OneWeb
- Asia Research and Capital Management, in its opposition to Premier Oil Plc’s proposed schemes of arrangement
- Syncreon, in connection with a scheme of arrangement
- Doncasters, in connection with a scheme of arrangement
- A leading global private equity house, in an ad hoc arbitration in London under UNCITRAL rules, and parallel High Court proceedings concerning an investment in communication networks in Africa
- Jinpeng Group, in multiple disputes concerning the Aman Resorts group of companies, including in Hong Kong arbitration proceedings under HKIAC Rules
- A large pharmaceuticals company, as the claimant in an LCIA arbitration concerning a disputed development agreement, including the negotiation of an advantageous settlement following an award in its favour
- A large pharmaceuticals company, in connection with a potential ICC arbitration regarding the construction of a disputed provision within a license agreement and its entry into a favourable settlement agreement
- Ingenious Media in a £1bn+ appeal against amendments made by HMRC to the tax returns of a number of film production partnerships
- A Lehman Brothers entity, in relation to a variety of matters, including the treatment of pension contributions during an insolvency process which involved hearings before the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court
- A British Virgin Islands incorporated entity, in a dispute concerning a sale and purchase agreement, deferred consideration amounts and breach of warranties
- A global travel company, as the defendant in a dispute with its Russian joint venture partner.
- A global private equity firm, regarding settlement following an ICC arbitration award in favour of its opponent.
- The Special Administrators of MF Global UK Limited, in connection with a number of disputes arising out of the special administration of MFGUK
- Various private equity clients and their portfolio companies, in connection with anti-bribery, anti-money laundering and sanctions reviews and regulatory advisory work, including regarding regulatory reporting requirements