Gemma has been involved in a number of well-known restructurings and formal insolvency procedures and her experience includes domestic and cross-border restructuring matters in a wide range of sectors including retail, healthcare, leisure, real estate, legal professional services and project finance. She is also experienced in advising on out-of-court restructurings, distressed investing, distressed debt trades, formal restructuring and insolvency procedures. She has advised distressed corporates, minority lenders, co-ordinating committees, financial institutions and insolvency practitioners.
Gemma is a member of R3, the Insolvency Lawyers’ Association and the Turnaround Management Association UK.
Prior to joining Weil, Gemma was in-house counsel for a large clearing bank and a senior associate at a leading international law firm.
Experience at Weil includes:
- Advising Edcon Group in relation to its current restructuring
- Advising key noteholders on the restructuring of Abengoa’s cross-border facilities
- Advising Westinghouse Electric Company on aspects of its chapter 11 proceedings and debtor-in-possession financing
- Advising potential purchaser in relation to the ongoing restructuring of Agrokor
- Advised the ad hoc committee of Dana Gas sukuk certificate holders in relation to proceedings in England, UAE and BVI arising out of the alleged unlawfulness of a $700m Shari’a compliant bond
- Advising part of the ad hoc committee of PIK lenders on the restructuring of Algeco Scotsman, via scheme of arrangement
- Advised the ad hoc committee of senior secured noteholders on the restructuring of Edcon Limited
- Advised Stemcor on its recent restructuring of its trade finance facilities and capital raise