Notable Representations, Key Contacts
Our Environmental litigation practice covers a range of representations, including:
- Civil and administrative enforcement proceedings under Superfund and other federal and state environmental laws
- Permits and challenges to permit denials
- Personal injury, property damage, and nuisance claims brought in connection with the release of hazardous materials
- Criminal prosecutions under the environmental laws
- Weil counseled CBS (formerly Westinghouse Electric) in a long-running environmental litigation involving PCB-contaminated sites. Initially, we represented CBS in implementing a consent decree calling for the construction of an incinerator to burn materials and a landfill to dispose of waste. Ultimately, we negotiated a new, more cost-effective solution.
- Throughout the representation, we defended CBS against numerous citizen lawsuits seeking to impose additional requirements or to challenge its permits and cleanup activities, and defeated a challenge contesting the remedial measures the company had negotiated with the federal, state, and local governments.
Our lawyers are acknowledged authorities on U.S. and international environmental law and are frequently recognized by such publications as Chambers USA, Legal 500, US News – Best Lawyers, Top Rated Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America, and SuperLawyers as leading transactional lawyers.
Excellent. They know the law and guide us to comply with it fully. At the same time they do not get bogged down in reciting detailed rules and regulations.”
Named National Tier 1 Environmental Law Practice
U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” Survey