Prior to joining Weil, Stuart was an associate in the tax team at a leading international law firm where he advised clients on a wide range of tax matters including international cross-border reorganisations, UK asset management arrangements, cross-border corporate acquisitions and finance transactions. He also advised clients dealing directly with the UK tax authority, particularly in relation to advance pricing agreements and transfer pricing matters.
Stuart is also a Chartered Tax Adviser and recipient of the John Wood Medal from the Chartered Institute of Taxation.
Stuart has written numerous articles for leading publications including British Tax Review, Tolley’s Tax Digest, Tax Journal, Taxation, Tax Adviser, International Tax Review, LexisNexis and PLC.
Representative experience includes advising:
- Westinghouse Electric Company on the global and European aspects of its chapter 11
- Ambac UK in relation to the restructuring of Ballantyne Re plc
- Advising key noteholders on the restructuring of Abengoa’s cross-border facilities
- Advising Edcon Group in relation to the tax aspects of its restructuring
- Willis Towers Watson PLC in its pending $80 billion combination with Aon PLC
- Sun Life Financial Inc. in relation to the merger of Sun Life-owned Bentall Kennedy and Tetragon's GreenOak to create a $47bn global real estate platform
- VINCI on the acquisition of Gatwick Airport
- Public Sector Pension Investment Board, along with BC Partners, in the acquisition of Keter Plastic
- The Government Investment Corporation of Singapore fund, in relation to various matters, including involvement in extensive negotiations with HMRC to access sovereign immunity from UK taxation for the fund in respect of real estate investments made in the UK