He is consistently recognised as a premier private equity lawyer with a distinguished reputation as the go-to adviser for private equity clients on their complex, high-value and cross-border matters across the deal spectrum. Marco was recently included in Financial News’ FN50 Most Influential List 2020 of private equity’s top dealmakers, fundraisers and advisers in Europe. He was ranked as one of Europe’s top 10 busiest private equity lawyers in 2019.
Described as “the absolute apex corporate lawyer in London” by clients, Marco is ranked in Band 1 by Chambers UK 2020, in the ‘Hall of Fame’ in Legal 500 UK 2021, and as a ‘Market Leader’ in IFLR1000 UK 2021 for Private Equity. In Legal 500 clients state that Marco “is quite extraordinary in uniting great knowledge and technical ability with an ability to deliver results at great speed. He can plot a course that enables a deal to complete where more conventional lawyers would fail’, with others commenting that Marco “is truly a counsellor and not just an executing lawyer. Go to Marco when you need the best and when the stakes are high: he will deliver when everyone else has failed”. Chambers notes that Marco “practises at the top rung of the market and is acclaimed for the quality of his transactional expertise” and that he “combines technical ability with a laser focus on the client's concerns. He has the priceless ability to make things happen when other people are stuck”.
Recently, Marco has led his team to win “Private Equity Team of the Year” at the Legal Business Awards 2020
- Advent International on a number of transactions, including recently on the $1 billion acquisition of Transaction Services Group and several subsequent add-ons
- Bain Capital on its £3 billion acquisition of a 60% stake in Kantar Media from WPP plc and on the take-private of esure Group plc
- Advent International and Bain Capital on their European payments investments, including recently on the €7.8 billion merger of their portfolio companies Nexi and Nets, and Mercury UK Holdco as selling shareholder on the IPO of Nexi on the Borsa Italiana and its subsequent £556 million sale of a stake in Nexi to Intesa Sanpaolo and to institutional investors
- PSP on the $10 billion consortium acquisition of Nestlé Skin Health, its consortium acquisition of Axel Springer valuing the company at €3.7 billion, its acquisitions of Keter Plastics and Azelis, and on the sale of Sky Aviation Leasing
- Providence Equity on a number of European transactions, including recently as selling shareholder and consortium member in the consortium's $3.3 billion take-private of Masmovil Ibercom, and its acquisition of the shares in marketing services company Chime which were held by its co-investor WPP Group
- OMERS Private Equity on a number of European transactions, including its acquisition of V.Group and subsequent sale, their first exit in Europe; the acquisition and subsequent sale of Civica; the sale by Hayfin Capital Management of certain assets to The Future Fund; and on the acquisition of Alexander Mann Solutions
- the seller of the iconic Ritz hotel in London
- VINCI on the acquisition of Gatwick Airport
- Access Industries, Alfa and Renova Consortium on the $28 billion sale of a 50% stake in TNK-BP International to Rosneft Oil Company