Chris advises across the full spectrum of complex commercial disputes (including disputes before the English courts and under the rules of major international arbitral institutions), principally arising out of breaches of contract, cross-border insolvencies/restructurings, shareholder/partnership issues and tax matters.
In addition to advising in connection with ongoing proceedings, Chris regularly advises clients in relation to pre-dispute strategy, and is particularly experienced in advising private equity investors and their portfolio companies in relation to contentious issues. He also regularly acts for clients engaged in alternative methods of dispute resolution, including mediation and complex settlement discussions.
Chris also advises in relation to cross-border trade regulation and sanctions issues, especially in a transactional context, and previously spent time working in the sanctions compliance team of a major bank.
He is admitted with higher rights of audience (civil) in England and Wales. He is a member of the London Solicitors Litigation Association and the Young International Arbitration Group of the LCIA, and a past member of the LGBTI Committee of the International Bar Association.
- The joint official liquidators of ABRAAJ Investment Management Limited in connection with claims arising in the liquidation of the Abraaj Group
- The Littlewoods group in its landmark £1.25 billion claim against HMRC concerning compound interest on overpaid tax, including proceedings before the High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and ECJ. This case was widely reported in the press and earned the team plaudits including “Dispute Resolution Team of the Year” at the Legal Business Awards, “European Tax Disputes Firm of the Year” at the International Tax Review European Tax Awards, and “Standout” firm at the FT Innovative Lawyers Awards
- Lehman Brothers Special Financing Inc in multimillion dollar Financial List proceedings against PSALM (a Phillipine state-owned entity) concerning the Close-out provisions of the 2002 ISDA Master Agreement
- Ingenious Media in a £1bn+ appeal against amendments made by HMRC to the tax returns of a number of film production partnerships
- Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc and various of its subsidiaries in connection with the unwinding of their structured finance, structured product and derivatives portfolio, including a number of disputes before the English, New York and Cayman Islands courts and LCIA arbitration proceedings in London
- A private equity firm in connection with a post-completion claim in the High Court for breach of warranty
- The Special Administrators of MF Global UK Limited in connection with a number of disputes arising out of the special administration of MFGUK
- A private equity firm in connection with a High Court dispute concerning the allocation of profit and ownership interests between certain of its founding partners
- A Turkish entrepreneur as claimant in an ICC arbitration in London relating to disputes arising under a non-compete agreement, worth in excess of US$300 million
- A global hospitality company in relation to various disputes arising out of development projects in Europe and Central Asia, including an ICC arbitration in London
- A global manufacturing conglomerate in its successful claim against a Chinese SOE for breach of a confidentiality agreement, in arbitration under the SIAC rules