Mr. Ching is recognized as a leading transactional lawyer by Chambers Asia-Pacific and Legal 500, and is cited as a “Highly Regarded” lawyer for M&A in China by IFLR1000. Chambers noted him for his ability to “find a commercially-balanced solution in complicated situations” and for his “fully attentive and responsive approach”. IFLR1000 referred to him as a “strong communicator, commercially-minded, knowledgeable about the law, responsive/easy to track down.” Mr. Ching is included in China Business Law Journal’s annual “A-List” for 2018 and 2019 as one of the leading 100 lawyers in foreign firms in China. In addition, he is named in The Best Lawyers™ in China 2020 and further earned the distinction of 2020 Private Equity and Venture Capital “Lawyer of the Year” in Shanghai.
Mr. Ching is included in China Business Law Journal’s annual “A-List” for 2018 and 2019 as one of the leading 100 lawyers in foreign firms in China. In addition, he is named in The Best Lawyers™ in China 2020 and further earned the distinction of 2020 Private Equity and Venture Capital “Lawyer of the Year” in Shanghai.
Mr. Ching’s recent representations include:
- SoftBank Vision Fund in the $2 billion investment in Coupang, one of South Korea’s largest online retailers
- Warburg Pincus in multiple matters, including (1) the investment in Sichuan Jinxin Fertility, one of China’s leading assisted reproduction healthcare providers, (2) the joint venture with a life sciences company, (3) the investment in Hong Kong-listed Franshion Properties and Mingfa Group, two large real estate developers in China and (4) various China healthcare investments including Hygeia, Evercare and Amcare
- Advent International in multiple matters, including (1) the acquisition of Best Learning, an English language training institute for juniors in China and (2) the acquisition of a majority stake in King Koil Shanghai Sleep System, a leading, premium manufacturer and retailer of mattresses in China, from CITIC Capital
- Shanghai Pharmaceuticals on the $1.2 billion acquisition of U.S.-based Cardinal Health’s pharmaceutical and medical products distribution business in China
- Oaktree Capital on the sale of the Axilone business to CITIC Capital
- Primavera Capital in multiple matters, including (1) the investment in Local Services Holding, one of China’s leading digital services platforms, (2) the investment in Kuaishou Technology, a provider of internet media services, as part of Kuaishou’s Series E equity funding round led by Tencent Holding and (3) the investment in Koubei, an on-demand local services platform in China, as part of Koubei’s $1.1 billion equity financing round
- A sovereign wealth fund in an investment in TutorGroup Co Ltd., an online provider of education services in China
- HNA Group in multiple matters, including (1) the $6.5 billion acquisition of a 25% stake in Hilton Inc., Park Hotels & Resorts Inc. and Hilton Grand Vacations Inc. (collectively, formerly known as Hilton Worldwide Holdings) from Blackstone and (2) in connection with the $6 billion acquisition of U.S.-listed Ingram Micro, an IT logistics and solutions provider, with Tianjin Tianhai Investment Company
- Hillhouse Capital in multiple matters, including as an investor in Mogujie.com, a large fashion-focused e-commerce service in China, and in Meilishuo.com, an online women’s apparel retailer, in the $3 billion merger of equals of Mogujie.com and Meilishuo.com
- A technology fund investing in Bytedance, a leading Chinese internet conglomerate
- Avolon Holdings, an aircraft leasing and management services provider, on the $7.6 billion acquisition of the company by Bohai Leasing
- Boquan He, as a member of a consortium, in the $1.1 billion take-private of iKang Healthcare Group, one of the largest providers of preventative healthcare services in China
- Apple in the investment in DiDi Chuxing, and in DiDi Chuxing’s acquisition of Uber (China) Ltd.
Mr. Ching is qualified in New York and Hong Kong. He is a native Mandarin speaker.