May 18, 2022
LONDON, May 18, 2022: International law firm Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP is working with Oxford University’s Saïd Business School to create a specialist ESG-focused training program for its London-based lawyers to build on Weil’s extensive experience in the ESG space and further equip Weil lawyers with the latest thought leadership and advisory skills to help guide clients through the dynamic ESG landscape.
The purpose-built program will cover the role of ESG in investing, reporting and metrics, ESG-linked financing, sustainable finance, and future trends affecting all areas of our clients’ businesses.
Commenting on the program, Weil Executive Partner Barry Wolf said: “We are delighted to be working with Saïd Business School to create a bespoke ESG training program for our lawyers in the London office. Each module has been carefully designed to ensure our tailored approach is aligned to the ever-increasing needs of our clients in this critical area.”
“To collaborate with a world-renowned business school such as Oxford Saïd to deliver thought leadership and training which draws from Oxford University’s research and programs in social finance and impact investing will enable our participating lawyers to help guide our clients through the opportunities and challenges presented by ESG in all aspects of their business,” added Michael Francies, Managing Partner of Weil’s London office.
Trang Chu, Program Director of the ESG Sustainability Program and Associate Fellow at Oxford Saïd commented: “For us at Saïd Business School, sustainable business is critical to tackling the climate change challenge and essential to building a new, durable, regenerative and just economic system. We are pleased to be an academic partner to Weil and to support their professionals in developing their expertise on sustainability matters of most importance to their clients across all aspects of their practice. We look forward to our partnership with Weil as they invest to support their clients in their efforts towards a sustainable future; an integral focus for our Executive Education at Oxford too.”
Notes to editors:
- Weil’s recent ESG experience includes:
- Advising on the establishment of a number of climate, impact and sustainable funds;
- Acting for a number of private equity clients and their portfolio companies by conducting anti-bribery, anti-money laundering and sanctions reviews in the context of proposed acquisitions;
- Assisting a number of different clients to draft ESG codes of conduct and develop ESG policies and practices;
- Advising a number of private equity clients on contractual mechanisms and dispute resolution clauses to mitigate future ESG-related risks;
- Crafting bespoke CLO investment criteria and ESG provisions;
- Advising fund managers at an operational level on integration of investment criteria into the investment selection process and compliance with side letter and/or LPA ESG obligations; and
- Advising fund managers at fund and portfolio level on ‘green’ financing solutions and compliance with ESG criteria linked to borrowing.
- Weil London’s pro bono relationship with Business Schools for Climate Leadership (BS4CL):
- A coalition of leading business schools, including Oxford Saïd, across Europe that are creating an alliance on training, research and operations to tackle climate change. At COP26 in November 2021, BS4CL launched a toolkit of webinars and resources, targeted at their collective 400,000 alumni across 80 countries, to help business be better equipped for the transition to net-zero. The Weil Antitrust Team is working with BS4CL to provide guidance on the dynamics between competition law and industry-wide collaborations on setting carbon targets and standards.
Founded in 1931, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP has been a preeminent provider of legal services for more than 90 years. With approximately 1,100 lawyers in offices on three continents, Weil has been a pioneer in establishing a geographic footprint that has allowed the Firm to partner with clients wherever they do business. The Firm’s four departments, Corporate, Litigation, Restructuring, and Tax, Executive Compensation & Benefits, and more than two dozen practice groups are consistently recognized as leaders in their respective fields.
About Saïd Business School, University of Oxford
Saïd Business School at the University of Oxford blends the best of new and old, a young, vibrant, and entrepreneurial business school deeply embedded in the world’s most prestigious university. The University delivers cutting-edge education and ground-breaking research that transform individuals, organizations, business practice, and society. Oxford Saïd provides leaders and organizations with a place to evolve – to step back from the intensity of day-to-day operations and to think about the future. They create bespoke learning solutions that deliver lasting value. In close collaboration with partners, co-creating tailor-made programs that inspire teams, empower organizations, drive progress in business and society, and collectively tackle today’s greatest challenges. Executive Education at Oxford Saïd ensures learning is translated into action by offering educational experiences that have a significant impact on individuals and their organizations.
Weil Public Relations
- +1 (212) 310-6710