Peter advises clients on the full range of employment-related issues that can arise during the lifecycle of national and international corporate transactions, particularly those involving private equity sponsors. He partners with clients and Weil deal teams to conduct due diligence, and oversee employment aspects of purchase agreements, transition services and contribution agreements, and other supportive deal documents relating to employee migration and retention. Peter also negotiates and drafts sophisticated employment agreements, onboards executives, conducts reductions-in-force, and manages the executive separation process.
Both in transactional and other contexts, Peter counsels clients on building employment law compliance programs, as well as addressing and investigating a variety of constituent compliance topics, including harassment prevention, anti-discrimination, litigation avoidance, restrictive covenant enforcement, and wage and hour issues. Much of his counseling and investigations work emanates from major cultural, business, and societal developments, such as the #MeToo movement, and includes helping clients avoid and respond to executive misconduct and wrongdoing. Peter also has extensive experience advising clients on complex employment compliance matters arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, including return-to-work and vaccine compliance issues. His subject-matter expertise is broad and includes:
- Executive performance and disciplinary measures
- Employee and partnership separation agreements
- Discrimination and wage/hour claims and litigation matters
- Voluntary and involuntary reductions in force
- Internal investigations regarding alleged C-Suite and other senior officer misconduct, sexual harassment, and fiduciary duty violations
- Wage and hour audits and compliance, including reclassification of employees and independent contractors
- Drafting and enforcement of restrictive covenants in multiple jurisdictions
Representative Corporate Transactional Experience *
Peter has extensive experience in national and International mergers and acquisitions for leading private equity firms, as well as public and private strategic transactions, carve-outs and joint ventures, and SPAC and DE-SPAC transactions. Exemplary engagements include:
- 3i Group plc in its investment in Magnitude Software, Inc.
- ABRY Partners in its growth equity investment in Tuck.com and its acquisition of Best Lawyers from Levine Leichtman Capital Partners
- Bain Capital Tech Opportunities in its investment in When I Work
- CC Capital and Motive Partners on their acquisition of Wilshire Associates
- Clearhaven Partners LP in its acquisition of TimeTrade Systems, Inc.
- Collier Creek Holdings, a special purpose acquisition company, on its agreement to combine with Utz Quality Foods, LLC, to form Utz Brands, Inc.
- E2open Parent Holdings, Inc. on its acquisition of BluJay Solutions
- Guidon Operating LLC in the divestiture of all leasehold interests and related assets to Diamondback Energy, Inc. for a mixture of cash and shares of Diamondback common stock
- Hornbeck Offshore Services, Inc. and its affiliates, in its chapter 11 restructuring in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- MHS Global and Fortna on their combination to form a multibillion-dollar, multinational company
- Nordic Capital Fund X with the signing of its agreement to acquire United Veterinary Care
- Nordic Capital and Astorg Partners in their joint agreement to acquire Cytel, Inc.
- Oak View Group on its acquisition of Spectrum Catering, Concessions & Event Services
- Parthenon Capital on its strategic investment in Cherry Bekaert’s
- Robert Redford, the actor, filmmaker and conservationist, and his affiliate Sundance Partners in connection with the sale of the Sundance Mountain Resort to Broadreach Capital Partners and Cedar Capital Partners
- Tailwind Capital acquisition of International Sports Sciences Association from the BERKS Group
- TZP Group in the sale of its portfolio company Family Entertainment Group Holdings to H.I.G. Capital
Peter also maintains an active pro bono practice, including through his service as a Member of the Board of Directors of Special Olympics Massachusetts. Some of his other notable experience has included advising on employment matters for organizations focused on the advancement of women in corporate America, and enriching, supporting, and educating at-risk and socially and economically disadvantaged youth, among others.
Prior to joining Weil, Peter was a partner at another international law firm. He received his J.D. from Northeastern University School of Law and his B.A. from Boston College.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Weil.