Matt Stewart is a partner in Weil's Corporate Department and is based in Silicon Valley. Mr. Stewart advises private equity funds, growth equity investors and strategic investors on private equity and structured capital investments, mergers and acquisitions and financing transactions with a focus in the technology, media, telecommunications and healthcare sectors.
Mr. Stewart has advised on numerous acquisitions, divestitures, and minority investments. He has represented several leading private equity or venture capital firms, such as TPG, Trive Capital, The Carlyle Group, and Kleiner Perkins. Mr. Stewart has also represented General Electric Company (NYSE: GE) and Rakuten (TYO: 4755) on acquisitions, and United Parcel Service (NYSE: UPS), Dell, and others on corporate venture investments.
- TPG Global in its minority stock investment in CeriBell, Inc.
- Valence Surface Technologies, Inc. (a portfolio company of Trive Capital) in its acquisition of Triumph Processing, Inc.
- TPG Growth in its minority investment in SutroVax, Inc.
- TPG Capital in its minority investment in Rodan + Fields, a company that develops and distributes dermatologist-inspired skincare products.
- Multiple platform acquisitions, add-on acquisitions, divestitures, and structured capital and minority investments for private equity clients such as TPG Growth, Trive Capital, The Carlyle Group, Kleiner Perkins, Evolution Media, Willcrest Partners, and Highland Capital Management.
- Multiple acquisitions for General Electric, including its acquisitions of ServiceMax, Meridium, Nurego, Solano Labs and Wurldtech.
- Multiple acquisitions for Rakuten, a Japanese ecommerce and Internet company, or its subsidiary Ebates, including the acquisitions of Pushpins, OneReceipt, Shopular, Cartera Commerce, ShopStyle and Curbside.
- Multiple acquisitions for Cisco Systems, including its acquisitions of NDS Limited and Sourcefire.
- Multiple acquisitions for Select Interior Concepts (NASDAQ: SIC), including the acquisitions of Bedrock International, Cosmic Stone & Tile Distributors, Greencraft Interiors, Summit Stoneworks and Tuscany Collection.
- Multiple corporate venture investments for United Parcel Service.
- PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) in its sale to Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
- Aurrion in its sale to Juniper Networks.
- Supercell in its sale of a controlling interest to SoftBank and GungHo Online Entertainment.
- Mandiant in its sale to FireEye.
- Adap.tv in its sale to AOL.
- SeaMicro in it sale to Advanced Micro Devices.
- Twitter in its acquisition of Vine.
- Arbor Pharmaceuticals in its sale of a significant minority interest to KKR & Co.
- J Jill in it sale to TowerBrook Capital Partners.
Mr. Stewart was recently named to The Daily Journal’s 2017 40 Under 40 list of top young attorneys and as an Emerging Leader by M&A Advisor. He has also been recognized as a 2015 Law360 “Rising Star” for Private Equity and as a Northern California “Rising Star” in M&A by Super Lawyers from 2013 through 2018.
*Includes matters handled by Matt Stewart prior to joining Weil.