Matt Stewart is a partner in Weil's Corporate Department and is based in Silicon Valley. Mr. Stewart advises private equity funds, growth equity investors and strategic investors on private equity and structured capital investments, mergers and acquisitions and financing transactions with a focus in the technology, media, telecommunications and healthcare sectors.
Mr. Stewart has advised on numerous acquisitions, divestitures, and minority investments. He has represented several leading private equity or venture capital firms, such as TPG, Trive Capital, The Carlyle Group, and Kleiner Perkins. Mr. Stewart has also represented General Electric Company (NYSE: GE) and Rakuten (TYO: 4755) on acquisitions, and United Parcel Service (NYSE: UPS), Dell, and others on corporate venture investments.
- Multiple private equity investments and sale transactions for clients such as TPG, Trive Capital, The Carlyle Group, Kleiner Perkins, Evolution Media, Pamlico Capital, Roark Capital Group, and Highland Capital Management.
- Trive Capital, its portfolio companies and/or limited partners on multiple investment transactions, including the acquisitions of, or debt or equity investments in, California Brazing, EarthLink, Florida Spine & Joint Institute, GDC Technics, Picture Head Holdings, Redmond & Greer, Triumph Processing, Inc. (by Valence Surface Technologies), and the sale of CSL Acquisition (by Valence Surface Technologies).
- TPG Global and/or its portfolio companies on multiple investment transactions, including investments in CeriBell, Expanse (fka Qadium), FreedomPay, Rodan + Fields, SutroVax and ViaCyte.
- General Electric Company on multiple acquisitions, including the acquisitions of ServiceMax, Meridium, Nurego, Solano Labs and Wurldtech.
- Rakuten or its subsidiaries on multiple acquisitions, including the acquisitions of Cartera Commerce, Curbside, OneReceipt, Pushpins, ShopStyle and Shopular.
- Cisco Systems on multiple acquisitions, including the acquisitions of NDS Limited and Sourcefire.
- Select Interior Concepts on multiple acquisitions, including the acquisitions of Bedrock International, Cosmic Stone & Tile Distributors, Greencraft Interiors, InTown Design, Summit Stoneworks, T.A.C. Ceramic Tile Co., and Tuscany Collection.
- United Parcel Service on multiple corporate venture capital investments.
- Twitter in its acquisition of Vine.
- PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) in its sale to Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
- Mandiant in its sale to FireEye.
- Aurrion in its sale to Juniper Networks.
- Adap.tv in its sale to AOL.
- SeaMicro in it sale to Advanced Micro Devices.
- J Jill in it sale to TowerBrook Capital Partners.
- Supercell in its sale of a controlling interest to SoftBank and GungHo Online Entertainment.
- MSouth Equity Partners in connection with the acquisition of United Communications, and United Communications in its sale of a controlling interest to Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation.
- Arbor Pharmaceuticals in its sale of a significant minority interest to KKR & Co.
- Evolution Media in connection with the acquisition of The Clio Awards.
- Accel-KKR and/or its portfolio companies in connection with acquisitions of or growth equity investments in or by KANA, N-able and YourEncore.
- Pamlico Capital on multiple transactions, including the acquisitions of ClearLink, IBBS, Lightower Fiber Networks f/k/a National Grid Wireless, TMT Software Company (by TMW Systems) and IDSC Software Company (by TMW Systems).
- Nautic Partners in connection with the acquisition of Precision Engineered Products.
- Roark Capital Group in connection with its growth equity investment in Naf Naf Grill.
- Lightower Fiber Networks on multiple transactions, including the acquisitions of Hudson Valley DataNet, KeySpan Communications, Lexent Metro Connect and Veroxity Technology Partners, and the sale of Light Tower Wireless to SBA Communications.
- Parsons Corporation in connection with the acquisition of 3D/International.
- RentPath in the acquisition of Lovely.
- Westward Dough in connection with the acquisition of multiple Krispy Kreme store locations from Glazed Investments.
- Move, Inc. in connection with its joint venture with Builder Homesite, Inc. in the launch of Builders Digital Experience.
- Water-Jel in its sale to Pilgrim Capital Partners.
Mr. Stewart was recently named to The Daily Journal’s 2017 40 Under 40 list of top young attorneys and as an Emerging Leader by M&A Advisor. He has also been recognized as a 2015 Law360 “Rising Star” for Private Equity and as a Northern California “Rising Star” in M&A by Super Lawyers from 2013 through 2018.
*Includes matters handled by Matt Stewart prior to joining Weil.