Matt Stewart is a partner in Weil's Corporate Department and is based in Silicon Valley. Mr. Stewart advises private equity funds, growth equity investors and strategic investors on private equity and structured capital investments, mergers and acquisitions and financing transactions with a focus in the technology, media, telecommunications and healthcare sectors.
Mr. Stewart has represented parties on multiple acquisitions, divestitures and structured capital and minority investments. He has represented several leading private equity firms, including TPG, Trive Capital, The Carlyle Group, Kleiner Perkins, Evolution Media, Willcrest Partners, and Highland Capital Management. Mr. Stewart has also represented Ebates (a subsidiary of Rakuten) and General Electric Company on acquisitions, as well as companies such as United Parcel Service in corporate venture investments.
- Multiple platform acquisitions, add-on acquisitions, divestitures, and structured capital and minority investments for private equity clients such as TPG Growth, Trive Capital, The Carlyle Group, Kleiner Perkins, Evolution Media, Willcrest Partners, and Highland Capital Management.
- Multiple acquisitions for General Electric, including its acquisitions of ServiceMax, Meridium, Nurego, Solano Labs and Wurldtech.
- Multiple acquisitions for Ebates, a subsidiary of Rakuten, including its acquisitions of Pushpins, OneReceipt, Shopular, Cartera Commerce and ShopStyle.
- Multiple acquisitions for Cisco Systems, including its acquisitions of NDS Limited and Sourcefire.
- Multiple corporate venture investments for United Parcel Service.
- PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) in its sale to Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
- Aurrion in its sale to Juniper Networks.
- Supercell in its sale of a controlling interest to SoftBank and GungHo Online Entertainment.
- Mandiant in its sale to FireEye.
- Adap.tv in its sale to AOL.
- SeaMicro in it sale to Advanced Micro Devices.
- Twitter in its acquisition of Vine.
- Arbor Pharmaceuticals in its sale of a significant minority interest to KKR & Co.
- J Jill in it sale to TowerBrook Capital Partners.
Mr. Stewart was recently named to The Daily Journal’s 2017 40 Under 40 list of top young attorneys and as an Emerging Leader by M&A Advisor. He has also been recognized as a 2015 Law360 “Rising Star” for Private Equity and as a Northern California “Rising Star” in M&A by Super Lawyers from 2013 through 2017.
*Includes matters handled by Matt Stewart prior to joining Weil.