Jeremy has a wide range of experience litigating and counseling with respect to complex copyright, music licensing, commercial litigation, and bankruptcy matters. Some of his notable experience includes serving on Weil teams representing:
- A major social media platform and its subsidiaries in connection with a variety of intellectual property matters, including notice-and-takedown policies, and the interplay between new product design, legal liability, safe-harbor protection, and music licensing requirements.
- A number of digital music platforms, television broadcasters, and industry groups such as the Association of American Publishers and the Television Music License Committee, in connection with music licensing, copyright, and other IP issues.
- Sirius XM and Pandora Media in the Web V proceeding before the CRB, which will determine the rates to be paid by non-interactive (i.e., radio-style) webcasters to the recorded music industry for the rights to publicly perform copyrighted sound recordings and to make ephemeral copies of those recordings over the 2021-2025 period.
- The Carlyle Group in insurance litigation.
- National Public Finance Guarantee Corporation in connection with the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico’s bankruptcy proceedings.
Jeremy has been recognized for his pro bono work, which has focused on helping disadvantaged children with special needs and advising Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts on copyright and trademark issues.
In 2020, 2021, and 2022, Jeremy was recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, and in 2020 he received a Burton Distinguished Legal Writing Award for an article he co-authored entitled “Music Licensing Overhaul Signed into Law,” which originally was published in Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal.
Jeremy received his J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School, where he was Chief Justice of the Moot Court Board, won the ABA’s National Appellate Advocacy Competition Regional Championship, and coached the Mock Trial Team.
Awards and Recognition, Firm News & Announcements
Awards and Recognition
- Jeremy Cain Recognized as Best Lawyers: One to Watch Honoree Award Brief — Best Lawyers 2020-2022
Firm News & Announcements
- Weil Represents Meta in High-Stakes Trial Victory Over FTC Litigation Win — February 06, 2023