Jamie has successfully represented clients in some of the most complex and high profile commercial disputes in recent years.
His notable wins include obtaining a £1.25 billion judgment in favour of the Littlewoods group against HMRC; possibly the largest money judgment ever handed down by the English courts. The case was widely reported in the press and earned the team plaudits including “Dispute Resolution Team of the Year” at the Legal Business Awards, “European Tax Disputes Firm of the Year” at the International Tax Review European Tax Awards, and “Standout” firm at the FT Innovative Lawyers Awards.
He has also recently secured favourable judgments and settlements for clients such as Barclays Bank plc, the special administrators of MF Global UK Limited, INVISTA Technologies and the Lehman estate.
Jamie’s practice spans court litigation, international arbitration and mediation, and a wide variety of sector areas including banking and financial services, media, technology, energy, engineering, and the retail and hospitality industries. He also is an experienced advocate, particularly in arbitration matters, where he has represented clients in cases before ad hoc and institutional tribunals under all the major arbitral rules, both in London and in other arbitral centers.
Jamie regularly speaks and publishes on arbitration and other disputes issues. He is recommended for his litigation expertise by Chambers UK, with sources describing him as “technically very strong” and “a shrewd tactician.” He is also recommended for his international arbitration and tax litigation expertise by Legal 500 UK, and was described by sources in the recent edition of the GAR 100 as “truly a breath of fresh air with his non-confrontational approach and talent for refining strategy on the trot”.
Representative litigation experience:
- Littlewoods Retail Ltd & Ors v HM Revenue & Customs  EWCA Civ 515 (21 May 2015) and  EWHC 868 (Ch) (28 March 2014): Obtaining judgment for Littlewoods of £1.25 billion in respect of compound interest on overpaid VAT in both High Court and Court of Appeal
- Napier Park European Credit Opportunities Fund Ltd v Harbourmaster Pro-Rata Clo 2 B.V. & Ors  EWHC 1083 (Ch) (09 April 2014): Acting for Blackstone/GSO as collateral manager in part 8 claim to determine whether reinvestment criteria had been met
- Citicorp Trustee Company Ltd v Barclays Bank plc & Ors  EWHC 2608 (Ch) (23 August 2013): Acting for Barclays Bank plc in trustee directions application as to whether certain notes were enfranchised
- Heis & Ors (Administrators of MF Global UK Ltd.) v MF Global Inc  EWHC 3068 (Ch) (01 November 2012): Acting for the special administrators of MF Global UK Ltd in a claim concerning the proper interpretation of a GMRA contract and the nature of the special administration regime
- McKillen v Misland (Cyprus) Investments Ltd & Ors (Rev 1)  EWHC 2343 (Ch) (10 August 2012): Advising Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay in respect of Mr McKillen’s claims against them personally in the context of the Maybourne hotel group dispute
- Lehman Brothers Commodity Services Inc v Credit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank  EWHC 1390 (Comm) (07 June 2011): Acting for a Lehman entity in Commercial Court proceedings against Calyon under a letter of credit
- Kaupthing v Tchenguiz: Acting for Kaupthing in £100m+ dispute against a borrower in respect of the enforcement of its security rights in proceedings in the BVI, including obtaining receivership orders, and in the Chancery Division
- Kaupthing Bank HF, R (on the application of) v HM Treasury  EWHC 2542 (Admin) (20 October 2009): Acting for Kaupthing in a judicial review of HM Treasury’s decision to transfer its Kaupthing Edge deposit book to ING in October 2008
Representative arbitration experience:
- 1Malaysia Development Berhad on its $6.5 billion dispute with IPIC under LCIA rules and seated in London
- Advising Providence Equity in an ad hoc arbitration under UNCITRAL rules re. Helios Africa Towers’ billion dollar investment in communication networks in Africa
- Advising Jinpeng Group on multiple disputes re its investment in the Aman Resorts group of companies, including a full win in arbitration proceedings under HKIAC Rules
- A chemical engineering business in its successful claim against a Chinese SOE for breach of a confidentiality agreement, in arbitration in Singapore under SIAC rules
- A Lehman entity in LCIA arbitrations in London and Mumbai against Indian counterparties to ISDA derivative transactions, obtaining a $40 million award
- A hedge fund administrator in the defence of a $100 million breach of contract and professional negligence claim arising from the collapse of a client fund, in LCIA arbitration in London
- Defending a BVI investment company in the long-running multi-billion dollar dispute over the ownership of a 25% stake in the Russian telecoms company, Megafon, in ad hoc arbitration in Zurich
- The same client in respect of a parallel arbitration under ICC rules in Geneva
- A telecoms infrastructure contractor in a dispute concerning the construction of a 3G mobile network in Australia, in ICC arbitration in Singapore under Singaporean law