Jie previously worked in the New York office of Weil and prior to rejoining Weil in 2020, Jie served as a lead in-house counsel at China’s largest sovereign wealth fund, where she worked on direct investments and co-investment in various industries (including infrastructure, energy, TMT and healthcare) as well as fund investments.
Jie was named a “Rising Star” lawyer for Hong Kong Private Equity practice in the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2024.
In her pro bono practice, Jie has represented immigrants seeking asylum protection and advised non-profit organizations on corporate issues.
Jie received her J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, her Ph.D. in Classics from UCLA and her A.B. summa cum laude in Greek and Mathematics from Bryn Mawr College. Jie clerked for the Honorable John P. Fullam of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Jie’s recent representations include*:
- Lazada South East Asia Pte. Ltd. (Singapore) (a portfolio company of Alibaba Group) in its significant minority investment in TNG Digital Sdn. Bhd. (Malaysia) (d/b/a Touch ‘n Go), one of the largest e-wallet operators in Malaysia
- MBK Partners in its acquisition of a 20.86% stake in CAR Inc. (HKSE: 0699), China’s largest car rental service provider, and the $2.2 billion (including debt) take-private of CAR Inc. by way of a voluntary general offer (the transaction was the second-largest privatization in China during 2020 and was named 2021 Private Equity Deal of the Year at Mergermarket China M&A Awards)
- Hillhouse Capital in multiple matters, including as a consortium member in the $4.76 billion take-private of China Biologic Products Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: CBPO), a plasma-based biopharmaceutical company
- PSP Investments in multiple matters
- A Canadian pension plan in its minority investment in a leading Hong Kong-based freight forwarding company
- The Audit and Risk Committee of Melco Resorts & Entertainment Limited (MRE) (NASDAQ: MLCO) in substantial share repurchases by MRE from its controlling shareholder, Melco International Development Limited (HKSE:0200)
- The asset management division of a blue chip Hong Kong-headquartered conglomerate in the acquisition of 50% of a Core+ infrastructure fund manager in the United Kingdom
- Baring Private Equity Asia in the sale of China headquartered HCP Packaging, a global leader in the design, development and manufacture of cosmetics packaging, to The Carlyle Group