Mr. Percer plays an important role in developing the technical aspects of a case or matter, working with technical experts and interfacing with his clients’ engineering teams. Mr. Percer is also active in PTO proceedings and regularly represents and assists clients with post grant proceedings, including IPRs and CBMRs. In fact, in 2016, he was one of the top attorneys involved in Patent Trial and Appeal Board proceedings. Mr. Percer is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
Recent Litigation Representations
- Nuance Communications, Inc. v. MModal (DED) – Principal technical lead for Nuance in a patent litigation cases concerning specialized speech recognition technologies.
- McRo Inc. (dba Planet Blue) v. Namco Bandai Games America, Inc. et al. (C.D. Cal.) – Principal technical lead for Namco Bandai Games America, Inc.; Sega of America, Inc.; and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment in a patent infringement action relating to lip synchronization and facial animation. (Case favorably settled.)
- STAAR Surgical (IPR) – Principal IPR counsel for STAAR Surgical in a patent dispute concerning implantable optical devices.
- Fontem v. NuMark (C.D. Cal.) – Principal technical lead for NuMark in case concerning 16 patents related to electronic cigarettes. Managed 20+ post grant proceedings. (Case favorably settled.)
- MoneyCat v. PayPal (N.D. Cal) – Principal technical lead for PayPal in a case concerning electronic payment methods. Managing post grant proceedings for the patents-in-suit. (Secured finding of invalidity at the PTAB, Federal Cir. affirmed.)
- XPRT v. eBay et al. (D. Del.) – Principal technical lead for eBay in a case alleging $3B in damages for technology related to electronic auctions and payment systems. Managing post grant proceedings for the patents-in-suit. (Secured finding of invalidity at the PTAB.)
- Digital Reg of Texas Inc. v. Adobe Systems, Inc. et al. (N.D. Cal.) – Principal technical lead and second-chair for Adobe and Electronic Arts in a patent infringement action relating to digital rights management. (Secured jury verdict of invalidity on all asserted claims and non-infringement of one patent (jury did not reach infringement on second patent), affirmed.)
- In re Certain Electronic Devices with Multi-Touch Enabled Touchpads and Touchscreens (ITC) – Principal technical lead and second-chair for a large smart phone and computer company in an ITC investigation filed by Elan Microelectronics Corporation seeking an exclusion order barring importation of many of the client's top products. Wrote several software programs to provide visual demonstration of the accused products. (Prevailed completely.)