Adrian holds a B.S. and M.S. in mechanical engineering, and his strong technical background allows him to play an important role in developing the technical aspects of a case or matter, working with technical experts and interfacing with his clients’ engineering teams. Adrian is also active in PTO proceedings and regularly represents and assists clients with post grant proceedings, including IPRs and CBMRs. In 2016, he was one of the top attorneys involved in Patent Trial and Appeal Board proceedings. Adrian is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
Recent Litigation Representations
- Principal technical lead for Nuance in a patent litigation case in the District of Delaware concerning specialized speech recognition technologies.
- Principal technical lead for Namco Bandai Games America, Inc.; Sega of America, Inc.; and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment in a patent infringement action in the Central District of California relating to lip synchronization and facial animation. The case favorably settled.
- Principal IPR counsel for STAAR Surgical in a patent dispute concerning implantable optical devices.
- Principal technical lead for NuMark in case concerning 16 patents related to electronic cigarettes in the Central District of California, responsible for managing 20+ post grant proceedings. The case favorably settled.
- Principal technical lead for PayPal in a case concerning electronic payment methods in the Northern District of California, responsible for managing post grant proceedings for the patents-in-suit. The Weil team secured a finding of invalidity at the PTAB, which the Federal Circuit affirmed.
- Principal technical lead for eBay in a case alleging $3B in damages for technology related to electronic auctions and payment systems, responsible for managing post grant proceedings for the patents-in-suit. The Weil team secured a finding of invalidity at the PTAB.
- Principal technical lead and second-chair for Adobe and Electronic Arts in a patent infringement action in the Northern District of California relating to digital rights management. The Weil team secured a jury verdict of invalidity on all asserted claims and non-infringement of one patent (jury did not reach infringement on second patent). The Federal Circuit affirmed the lower court’s ruling.
- Principal technical lead and second-chair for a large smart phone and computer company in an ITC investigation filed by Elan Microelectronics Corporation seeking an exclusion order barring importation of many of the client's top products, responsible for writing several software programs to provide visual demonstration of the accused products. The Weil team prevailed completely.