Gemma has been involved in a number of well-known restructurings and formal insolvency procedures. Her experience includes domestic and cross-border restructuring matters in a wide range of sectors including: retail; healthcare; leisure; manufacturing; oil and gas; real estate; legal professional services; and project finance. She is also experienced in advising on out-of-court restructurings, distressed investing, distressed debt trades, formal restructuring and insolvency procedures. She has advised distressed corporates, minority lenders, co-ordinating and ad hoc committees, financial institutions and insolvency practitioners.
In 2019 Gemma was selected for inclusion by Global Restructuring Review for their Women in Restructuring list. In 2018 she was named a finalist by TMA for their annual Professional of the Year Award, which recognises the achievements of those working in turnaround and restructuring in the UK who demonstrate exceptional performance and career development.
Gemma is a member of R3, the Insolvency Lawyers’ Association and the Turnaround Management Association UK.
Prior to joining Weil, Gemma was in-house counsel for a large clearing bank and a senior associate at a leading international law firm.
Experience at Weil includes:
- Advising Doncasters, the aerospace and defence company, in relation to its restructuring
- Advising Follie Folli, the Greek-based jewellery designer, manufacturer and distributor, in relation to its restructuring
- In relation to Galapagos and Boparan re potential refinancing and new money options for funders
- Advising Edcon Group in relation to its current restructuring
- Advising key noteholders on the restructuring of Abengoa’s cross-border facilities
- Advising Westinghouse Electric Company on aspects of its chapter 11 proceedings and debtor-in-possession financing
- Advising potential purchaser in relation to the ongoing restructuring of Agrokor
- Advised the ad hoc committee of Dana Gas sukuk certificate holders in relation to proceedings in England, UAE and BVI arising out of the alleged unlawfulness of a $700m Shari’a compliant bond
- Advising part of the ad hoc committee of PIK lenders on the restructuring of Algeco Scotsman, via scheme of arrangement
- Advised the ad hoc committee of senior secured noteholders on the restructuring of Edcon Limited
- Advised Stemcor on its recent restructuring of its trade finance facilities and capital raise