News & Announcements

Weil Advises Global Infrastructure Partners on the Sale of a Stake in Edinburgh Airport and Establishment of a Strategic Partnership with VINCI

Weil has advised Global Infrastructure Partners on the sale of a 50.01% stake in Edinburgh Airport to VINCI Airports for £1.27 billion. The remaining 49.99% interest in Edinburgh Airport will continue to be managed by GIP upon the close of the transaction. Edinburgh Airport is Scotland's busiest airport and the sixth busiest airport in the United Kingdom, offering flights to more than 150 destinations across 40 airlines.

As part of the agreement, GIP and VINCI will jointly lead investment in, and development of, Edinburgh Airport and establish a long-term strategic partnership for the airport's future development, similar to the successful partnership established in 2019 at Gatwick Airport.

This follows Weil’s advice to Global Infrastructure Partners on the sale to Mediterranean Shipping Company of a stake of approximately 50% in Italo - Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori S.p.A (“Italo”), one of Europe’s leading private high-speed rail operators.

The Weil team was led by Murray Cox and Brendan Moylan, assisted by Jamie Macdonagh and David McKendrick; Antitrust and regulatory advice was provided by Niklas Maydell and Jakob Dewispelaere; Tax advice provided by Jenny Doak, Oli Walker and Incentives advice by Kevin Donegan; Employment advice provided by Mark Taylor.