Mr. Gietz’s representation involves a range of industries, including healthcare, financial services and steel.
Recent M&A transactions include advising:
- AK Steel Corporation in its acquisitions of Precision Partners Holding Company and integrated steelmaking assets in Dearborn, Michigan from Severstal North America; and in its joint venture with Magnetation
- AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. in its $600 million issuance of senior unsecured convertible notes to Silver Lake to finance AMC's repurchase of a portion of its stock held by Dalian Wanda Group Co., AMC's majority owner, and to pay a special dividend
- A major financial institution, as financial advisor to Gentiva Health Services, Inc., in Gentiva's sale to Kindred Healthcare, Inc.
- Centennial Resource Development, Inc. (f/k/a Silver Run Acquisition Corp., a SPAC) in its acquisition of a controlling stake in Centennial Resource Production, LLC and its subsequent acquisition of all of the leasehold interests and related upstream assets in Reeves County, Texas from Silverback Exploration, LLC and Silverback Operating, LLC
- Citadel Broadcasting in its sale to Cumulus Media
- Costa Inc. in its sale to Essilor International SA
- Elementis Global LLC in its acquisitions of SummitReheis (f/k/a Summit Research Labs) and Hi-Mar Specialty Chemicals, LLC
- Eli Lilly and Company in its acquisition of Loxo Oncology, Inc. and acquisitions of CoLucid Pharmaceuticals, Inc., the North American rights to the oncology product Erbitux®, Locemia Solutions ULC, Glycostasis, Novartis Animal Health, Lohmann Animal Health, ChemGen, Agri Stats, Avid Pharmaceuticals and Alzheimer’s imaging agents from Siemens Medical Solutions; in its sale of veterinary assets to Virbac SA; in its strategic review of Elanco, its animal health division, concluding with the initial public offering of a minority stake in Elanco and its exchange of its approximately 82% remaining interest in Elanco for Lilly common shares held by its shareholders; and in its global licensing and research collaboration with, and equity investment in, Dicerna Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Equiniti Group plc in its acquisition of Wells Fargo Shareowner Services
- Australian biopharmaceutical company Fibrotech Therapeutics Pty Ltd. in its sale to Shire plc
- Franklin Templeton in its acquisitions of the investment advisor team from AlphaParity LLC, K2 Advisors, Darby Holdings and Fiduciary Trust
- GE Aviation Systems in its acquisitions of Naverus and Airfoil Technologies
- GECC in the sale of its North American tank car rail assets and railcar repair business to Marmon Holdings, Inc.; sale of its remaining North American railcar leasing business to Wells Fargo & Co.; investment in and restructuring of the EBX Group; and the sale of its Mexican consumer mortgage loan business to Santander Bank
- General Motors in its sale to a government-sponsored entity
- Genesis Lease Limited in its sale to AerCap Holdings
- Genworth Financial, Inc. as corporate counsel in connection with its sale to China Oceanwide Holdings Group Company Ltd.
- H&R Block, Inc. in its $405 million acquisition of Wave Financial Inc.
- Harbinger in its take-private acquisition of Sky Terra
- Irving Place Capital Management and Agiliti Holdco, Inc. (f/k/a Universal Hospital Services, Inc.) in Agliti’s combination with Federal Street Acquisition Corp. (FSAC), a SPAC sponsored by Thomas H. Lee Partners, in a new holding company formed by FSAC named Agiliti Health, Inc., having an implied enterprise value of approximately $1.74 billion
- Lehman Brothers in its acquisition and subsequent sale of its Archstone business to Equity Residential and AvalonBay Communities
- Magellan Health, Inc. in its acquisitions of Senior Whole Health, LLC, Veridicus Holdings, LLC, Armed Forces Services Corporation, The Management Group, LLC, 4D Pharmacy Management Systems, Inc., CDMI and Partners Rx
- QLT Inc. (n/k/a Novelion Therapeutics Inc.) in its acquisition of Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and in its minority investment in Aralez Pharmaceuticals Plc
- Ripple Brand Collective, LLC in its sale to The Hershey Company
- Safran in its acquisition of L-1
Mr. Gietz has been recognized in Chambers USA, Legal 500 US, IFLR1000 and New York Super Lawyers and has been featured as a “Dealmaker” by The American Lawyer. He was also recognized for client service excellence by BTI Consulting Group in its 2012 BTI Client Service All-Stars survey.
Mr. Gietz received his B.A. from Columbia College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and his J.D. from the Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fisk Stone Scholar.