Some of his recent nationwide representations include:
- representing Sanofi, a global pharmaceutical company, and its former CEO in obtaining the dismissal of a consolidated federal securities class action brought by a putative class of investors in Sanofi American Depositary Shares;
- representing Sanofi in obtaining the dismissal, affirmed on appeal, of federal securities class and individual actions brought by holders of contingent value rights issued in connection with Sanofi’s 2011 acquisition of Genzyme, relating to the performance of Sanofi’s multiple sclerosis drug, Lemtrada®;
- obtaining a significant Third Circuit decision affirming summary judgment for an important private equity client in a federal securities action that, going forward, is likely to provide important protection to portfolio company board designees of private equity firms;
- navigating Gentiva Health Services, Inc. through shareholder class and derivative litigation in New York federal court and Georgia state and federal court relating to the company’s Medicare reimbursement practices;
- representing the former directors of Elizabeth Arden, Inc. in winning the dismissal with prejudice of all claims in a putative shareholder class action in Florida state court challenging Revlon’s acquisition of Elizabeth Arden, Inc.;
- defending global insurance broker Willis in multi-billion dollar securities class actions arising out of the $7 billion Allen Stanford/Stanford Financial Group Ponzi scheme;
- representing a major real estate investor in multi-forum litigation relating to the ownership and control of his family’s real estate holdings;
- representing the syndicate of underwriters of IntraLinks Holdings, Inc.’s April 2011 secondary offering in a federal securities class action relating to alleged misrepresentations concerning IntraLinks’ enterprise business; and
- defending numerous shareholder class actions challenging major M&A transactions, on behalf of both targets and acquirers, in the Delaware Court of Chancery and elsewhere.
In 2016 and 2017, Mr. Amsel was named to Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List. He has been named a New York “Rising Star” in securities litigation since 2011 by SuperLawyers Magazine, and was also named to Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s “Legal Who’s Who” in Securities Litigation for 2014. Mr. Amsel is also recognized as a recommended lawyer for Securities Litigation: Defense by Legal 500.
Mr. Amsel is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Professional Hiring & Steering Committee and a member of the Firm’s Professional Development Committee. He also is a member of the American Bar Association, where he serves as co-chair of the M&A/Proxy Litigation subcommittee of the Securities Litigation committee of the ABA’s Litigation Section, and a member of the New York City Bar Association.