The Silicon Valley Office is a thriving contributor to Weil’s remarkable record of success. The office boasts “gold standard” practice groups in the areas of Patent Litigation, Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity, Banking & Finance, Complex Commercial Litigation, Technology & IP Transactions, and Strategic IP Counseling. All practice groups in the Silicon Valley Office share a common passion for innovation and technology as well as a commitment to efficiency and excellence. Weil represents 77% of the technology companies in the 2016 Fortune 100.
These values have earned the office an impressive client list, including such leading companies and private equity firms as Adobe, Applied Materials, Cisco, Core-Mark, eBay, Facebook, Genstar Capital, Getty Images, The Gores Group, Hewlett-Packard, Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Life Technologies, Maxim Integrated, Micron, Microsoft, NetApp, Oracle, Samsung, Sequoia Capital, Silver Lake, Summit Partners, Symantec, Synopsys, and Yahoo.
Awards and Recognition
- Edward Reines and Derek Walter named “Litigators of the Week” by The Am Law Litigation Daily in September 2016 for securing for Illumina, a major manufacturer of DNA sequencers, a rare preliminary injunction shutting down a competitor’s infringing product
- Edward Reines named a 2016 Icon of IP by Law360
- Anne Cappella named 2016 Woman of Influence by Silicon Valley Business Journal
- Weil named The Recorder's 2014 Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group of the Year in California
- Karen Ballack and Jane Ross named among the Top 100 Women Lawyers in California of 2016 by the Daily Journal
- Keith Flaum named Law360 2015 MVP for Technology
- Karen Ballack, Anne Cappella and Jane Ross named among the 60 Women Leaders in Tech Law by The Recorder in 2015
- Keith Flaum and Jane Ross named to the Daily Journal’s list of the Top 100 Lawyers in California for 2015
- Only firm with two Band One-ranked partners – Karen Ballack and John Brockland – in Chambers USA in the category of California IT & Outsourcing
- With Craig Adas, Rick Climan, Keith Flaum, Kyle Krpata and Jane Ross ranked as leading lawyers in Chambers USA California Corporate/M&A section, Weil boasts the most partners in Silicon Valley recognized for Corporate/M&A
- Weil recommended for Patent Litigation and Transactions in IAM Patent 1000 2016
Silicon Valley M&A Forums
Weil’s Silicon Valley office hosts regular “M&A Forums,” at which Weil M&A partners and other speakers address such topics as the state of the M&A marketplace, recent judicial, legislative, and regulatory developments of interest to M&A professionals, M&A issues relevant to technology companies, and notable recent M&A deals.
View information about upcoming forums or access videos of previous forums here.
Pro Bono Initiatives and Community Service
Philanthropy is a cornerstone of the Silicon Valley office. Through its “Weil Gives Back” program, lawyers and staff collaborate with local charities, such as Second Harvest Food Bank, Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto, Progeria Research Foundation, Wardrobe for Opportunity, American Lung Association, and Justice & Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco, with respect to meaningful, and often life-changing, community service and pro bono legal projects.
The Silicon Valley office’s dedication to the community is evident through its history of pro bono success. For example, in 2015, Weil served as co-counsel with the Center for Constitutional Rights and others in reaching a landmark settlement in the federal class action Ashker v. Governor of California that ended indeterminate, long-term solitary confinement in all California state prisons.
Over the years, Silicon Valley lawyers have also contributed thousands of hours of pro bono service to the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County, including a recent case involving relief for a victim of family elder abuse. In recognition of the Firm’s commitment to providing pro bono legal services to communities in need, Weil was honored by the organization with the “Guardian of Justice” Award in 2016.