Weil’s Dallas office brings the best of Wall Street quality legal services to Dallas and the Southwest in five primary practice areas: Private Equity and Mergers & Acquisitions, Banking and Finance, Business Finance & Restructuring, Tax, and High Stakes Commercial Litigation. In addition, the Dallas office serves as an integrated gateway to our worldwide network of offices, providing our clients with access to a global platform of legal expertise.
The transactional lawyers in our Dallas office are ranked among the very best in the world for their work on Private Equity and M&A deals and have led some of the largest and most complex transactions handled by Weil. We advise a significant number of large market cap public companies as well as private equity firms based in the region and the portfolio companies owned and controlled by private equity owners. We are highly skilled advisors in connection with the relationships and issues that arise between ownership and management within the private equity industry. Our market-leading Finance and Tax lawyers work seamlessly with our PE and M&A teams on transactions, both in Texas and nationally. Weil also has preeminent Bankruptcy and Litigation lawyers in Dallas who advise clients on a range of high-profile matters.
Weil has been involved in the oil and gas transactional business since it opened its offices in Texas more than 25 years ago, and few law firms in the world can boast Weil’s knowledge of the industry. The Dallas office has brought particular oil and gas experience that augments our prominent overall corporate practice. For example, we advised Kinder Morgan in its $38 billion acquisition of El Paso Corporation, creating the largest natural gas pipeline network in the US and in El Paso’s sale of its E&P business, EP Energy Corporation, for approximately $7.15 billion to affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC and Riverstone Holdings, LLC. The former was one of the largest energy M&A deals of all time.
Awards and Recognition
- Glenn D. West named “Advisor Dealmaker of the Year” and the AMR/American Airlines’ merger with US Airways selected as “Mega Deal of the Year.”
– 2014 D CEO Mergers & Acquisitions Awards
- Stephen Youngman and Martin Sosland named "Best Lawyer" in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law
– The Best Lawyers in America 2012–2014
- Rodney Moore named a "Leading" Lawyer for Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional): Nationwide
– Chambers USA 2013
- Courtney Marcus recognized as a “Leading” Lawyer for Banking & Finance in Texas since 2005 by Chambers USA
- Ray Guy named a "Best Lawyer" in the specialties of Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Banking & Finance, and Litigation - Securities
– The Best Lawyers in America 2014
- Jared Rusman named a "Recommended" Lawyer for International and Domestic Tax in the US by The Legal 500 USA 2013 and a "Leading" Lawyer for Tax: Texas by Chambers USA 2013
Pro Bono Initiatives and Community Service
Weil is widely considered a leader in pro bono service to the Dallas community, Texas, and beyond. Through its innovative Lend-A-Lawyer program, created in 2005 in partnership with the Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program (DVAP), Weil annually sends a third- or fourth-year associate to work full-time for three months on pro bono matters for indigent clients at the offices of Legal Aid of NorthWest.
The Dallas office has repeatedly won DVAP Gold and Silver Awards recognizing pro bono excellence and the W. Frank Newton Award, the State Bar of Texas’ top law firm pro bono honor. In addition, individual Weil attorneys have several times earned the State Bar’s Frank J. Scurlock Award for Pro Bono Service and DVAP’s Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year Award. Most recently, the office received the 2014 Dallas Rotary Club’s Corporate Citizen of the Year Award, recognizing its outstanding community commitment.
The Firm’s Dallas office is also widely recognized for creating a diverse workplace that values teamwork and tolerance. For seven consecutive years, it has been ranked #1 for diversity among major law firms in the Dallas Diversity Task Force (DDTF) annual report. The firm’s Dallas, Houston and Miami offices together have twice earned the Minority Corporate Counsel Association’s coveted Thomas L. Sager Award, recognizing a law firm in the South/Southwest region for its outstanding commitment to workplace diversity.