Our Washington-based attorneys represent corporations and other entities, both as plaintiffs and defendants, in multiple jurisdictions before both federal and state courts and regulatory authorities.
Weil is recognized by numerous leading legal directories for excellence in the areas of:
- Commercial litigation
- International trade
- Patent litigation
- Securities law
- White collar defense and investigations
- Corporate governance and compliance law
Approximately 70 lawyers are resident in the D.C. office, and their diverse practice areas provide our clients with invaluable counsel in navigating an intricate and ever-changing business environment and regulatory landscape. We are routinely entrusted with our clients’ critical matters, including litigation, mergers, and financial transactions.
Our Washington office hosts many of Weil’s regulatory lawyers and serves as a central hub for integrating the substantive skills of lawyers across Weil. From Washington, our lawyers advise clients in connection with numerous government agencies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the International Trade Commission, the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, among others.
Our lawyers routinely handle matters in connection with the Federal Reserve Board, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Securities and Exchange Commission, U.S. Treasury Department, and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, as well as with newer federal regulatory entities such as the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection and Office of National Insurance.
Awards and Recognition
- Steve Newborn, Head of Weil’s Competition/Antitrust practice, recognized as an Antitrust “Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal
- Weil Partner Jeff Perry named “D.C. Rising Star” – The National Law Journal 2014
- Weil named a "Leading" Firm for Antitrust in the District of Columbia
– Chambers USA
- Brian Ferguson named "Best Lawyer" in the specialty of Litigation - Intellectual Property and Litigation – Patent by The Best Lawyers in America 2016 and "Recommended" Lawyer for Patent Litigation: International Trade Commission in the US by The Legal 500 USA
- The International Arbitration group has been consistently recognized in publications such as Chambers Global and USA, Legal 500, Benchmark Litigation, among others
- Weil's Washington, D.C. office is ranked in Tier 1 for "Environmental Law" category in U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" Rankings
Pro Bono Initiatives and Community Service
The Washington, D.C. office has been recognized for its pro bono efforts and its ongoing commitment to the community. It was awarded an Outstanding Achievement Award in the area of Immigrant and Refugee Rights from the Washington Lawyers Committee on Civil Rights and Urban Affairs for its continuing work on behalf of asylum applicants. In addition, DC Appleseed Center for Law and Justice honored the Washington team for its outstanding pro bono efforts in addressing the lead-in-the-water crisis in the District of Columbia. Lawyers from the Washington office also played an important role in crafting a settlement to end litigation concerning discriminatory practices of the Baltimore Police Department that created a hostile work environment for police officers of color. Individual partners have also been recognized for their community service and pro bono efforts by such organizations as the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the American Jewish Committee.