Notable Representations, Key Contacts
High-Profile, Complex Cross-Border Transactions
- Complex M&A;
- Private Equity and Private Funds matters;
- Restructurings and Recapitalizations;
- Real Estate and Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs); and
- Capital Markets and other financing matters.
Our global tax practice is largely a transactional and financing practice. We provide sophisticated, deal-specific tax advice that allows our clients to accomplish their commercial objectives on a tax-efficient basis. Our extensive deal experience and deep bench allows us to provide real-time advice that takes into account current tax developments. We regularly counsel clients across multiple jurisdictions in connection with acquisitions and dispositions of global business operations, spin-offs, joint ventures, financings, and offerings of both debt and equity.
Private Funds – From Formation through Exit
Weil’s Tax Group has a diverse range of experience in all major industry segments– buyout funds, growth equity funds, middle market funds, infrastructure funds, real estate funds, debt funds, fund-of-funds, secondary funds, special situations funds, hedge funds, and other industry-specific funds, and in the entire fund life cycle, from formation to exit. We take full advantage of our global presence in designing investment vehicles to meet diverse needs. On the fundraising side, we are able to offer, and negotiate, a wide range of structures tailored to the needs of the important constituencies – U.S. taxable, U.S. tax-exempt and non-U.S. investors and sponsors. For sponsors, we also design general partner and management company arrangements to maximize the after-tax returns for the lead individuals and the investment professionals who support them. We work with large, middle market, and small funds. In all our projects, we strive through our extensive experience and up-to-date knowledge to create structures that are acceptable to investors and that enable our clients and transactional tax lawyers to efficiently enter and exit investments, both onshore and offshore.
Weil's Tax Group regularly counsels large investors in funds. Our tax teams in the United States and United Kingdom, in particular, have extensive experience counseling institutional and sovereign investors on the particular tax consequences to them of investing in private equity funds, REITs, and co-investment opportunities globally.
Tax Aspects of Bankruptcy and Restructuring
Including nationally recognized leaders in the field, our tax lawyers assist in all phases of a restructuring (whether in or outside of bankruptcy), including:
- Advising in connection with modifications of debt, and debt/equity exchanges;
- Structuring tax efficient plans of reorganization and liquidation, including evaluating and designing structures to retain valuable corporate tax attributes and to protect debt holders and equity holders from phantom income;
- Working to align or otherwise take into consideration the needs of all parties-in-interest in tax matters;
- Pre-bankruptcy planning to manage sales and employment tax liabilities to protect management and controlling persons from personal liability for such taxes;
- Representing debtors before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and other tax authorities in resolving disputes over prepetition and administrative tax liabilities; and
- Dealing with the IRS and other tax authorities in obtaining rulings and closing agreements where appropriate.
It is a very, very good tax team - proactive and accurate…They are always available when you need them and answer quickly.”
Chambers Global 2016
Winner of five awards—more than any other law firm—including best “U.S. Law Firm in Europe,” and Joint Venture, M&A, Media and Entertainment and Restructuring Tax “Deals of the Year,” and nominated for a further seven awards
International Tax Review’s 2016 European Tax Awards
Winner of Americas M&A Tax “Deal of the Year” for advising The Dow Chemical Company in its $130B all-stock merger of equals with E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, and shortlisted for five additional awards
International Tax Review’s 2016 Americas Tax Awards
Highly talented professionals with deep experience in their practice areas. Also great in that they have a practical business approach to solving problems.”
Chambers USA 2016
They are a very, very strong practice in terms of their technical skills and commerciality - they really know how to advise a client.”
Chambers USA 2016
Weil’s team “delivers a very high level of service” and has an ”excellent understanding” of complex matters.”
Legal 500 US 2016
Dallas Tax Partner Jared Rusman named Tax MVP
Eight partners named among the leading “Bankruptcy Tax Specialists in the Nation’s Major Law Firms”
Turnarounds & Workouts 2016
Ranked Tier 1 for National: Tax Law
U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"