Mr. Cohen’s practice includes domestic and cross-border corporate restructuring, distressed financing and distressed M&A. Mr. Cohen has experience representing debtors, secured lenders and sponsors in a number of in-court restructurings, including:
- Representing international retail clothing company Aéropostale in connection with its ongoing chapter 11 cases and its proceeding under Canada’s Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Representing Canadian steel giant Essar Steel Algoma in connection with its ongoing chapter 15 cases and proceedings under Canada’s Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (“CCAA”)
- Representing U.S. retailer Golfsmith in connection with its ongoing chapter 11 cases and the related CCAA proceedings of its Canadian affiliates operating as Golf Town
- Representing certain prepetition lenders in connection with the ongoing chapter 11 cases and CCAA proceedings of Performance Sports Group, owner of iconic sporting good brands Bauer and Easton
- Representing Paragon Offshore plc in connection with its ongoing chapter 11 cases
- Representing Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and its affiliates with certain post-confirmation matters in their historic bankruptcy cases
Prior to joining Weil, Mr. Cohen worked in public policy for the Government of Ontario and worked at a full-service law firm in Toronto where he worked on a number of restructurings of large Canadian companies under the CCAA.