Mr. West has developed a diverse corporate practice both nationally and internationally. He regularly represents private equity firms in acquiring and making investments in public and private companies. Mr. West also represents public and private companies (including the portfolio companies of private equity firms) in acquisitions and financings; and he is regularly called upon to provide general corporate and crisis management advice to boards and their management. Mr. West has also developed an expertise in the acquisition and financing of sports teams and their facilities.
Representative private equity and merger and acquisition transactions include:
- WPX Energy, Inc. in its $2.75 billion acquisition of RKI Exploration & Production, LLC
- LG Aviv LP, an affiliate of Lindsay Goldberg LLC and a major shareholder of Aviv REIT, Inc., in Aviv REIT’s $3 billion merger with Omega Healthcare Investors, Inc.
- Lindsay Goldberg LLC, in its investment in Dealer Tire, LLC
- Brazos Private Equity Partners in its sales of Ennis-Flint and Healthcare Solutions
- AMR Corporation, the parent of American Airlines, in American’s approximately $18 billion merger with US Airways
- PetroLogistics and its parent, Propylene Holdings LLC (an indirect portfolio company of Lindsay Goldberg and York Capital) in its $2.1 billion sale to Flint Hills Resources
- LIN Media’s $2.6 billion merger with Media General, Inc.
- LIN TV Corporation’s merger with and into LIN Media LLC
- Apache Corporation in its $2.95 billion sale of a stake in its Egypt oil and gas business to, and the formation of a joint venture with, Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation
- Affiliates of HM Capital in the sale and purchase of the food and consumer products segment of the investment portfolio of HM Capital’s Sector Performance Fund
- Special Committee of Titanium Metals Corporation in its $2.9 billion sale to Precision Casparts Corporation
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Continental Resources, Inc. in Continental’s acquisition of the oil assets of Wheatland Oil, Inc.
- NYDJ Apparel, LLC (a portfolio company of Falconhead Capital LLC) in its sale of a controlling interest of the company to Crestview Partners and Maybrook Capital Partners
- Kainos Capital in its acquisition of JTM Foods LLC, in the acquisition of Del Monaco Foods by its portfolio company Kettle Cuisine, and in the sales of its portfolio companies Healthcare Solutions, Inc. and InterHealth Nutraceuticals, Inc.
- Apco Oil & Gas International, Inc. (a subsidiary of WPX Energy, Inc.) in its $430 million sale to Pluspetrol Black River
Representative sports related transactions include:
- the acquisition, financing and subsequent sale of the Texas Rangers Major League Baseball Club
- the acquisition, financing and subsequent sale of the Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey Club
- the acquisition, financing and subsequent sale of the Dallas Stars Hockey Club
- the acquisition and financing of the Liverpool Football Club & Athletic Grounds
- the project financing for the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas
Mr. West was named to D CEO Magazine’s inaugural list of 2015 “Dallas 500 Business Leaders” as one of only six attorneys selected for the Law – Mergers & Acquisitions category, and received the 2014 “Adviser Dealmaker of the Year” Award by Association of Corporate Growth and D CEO Magazine. Mr. West is consistently recognized by Best Lawyers in America and has been named “Lawyer of the Year” in Dallas three times in the categories of Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2017), Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2013) and Corporate Law (2010). He is ranked Band 1 in Corporate/M&A in Texas and also as a leading lawyer for private equity nationwide by Chambers USA 2010 – 2016, where clients note “he is highly respected not only for his legal acumen, but for his business savvy as well.” Clients also note “he has extraordinary experience and has a very business-like approach to solving even the most thorny issues that inevitably arise in any transaction.” Mr. West is also named a leading lawyer for U.S. Private Equity: Buyouts and U.S. Corporate/M&A by Chambers Global 2012 – 2016, and is recommended for Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas by Legal 500 US. Additionally, he was named a 2013 BTI Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting Group for delivering superior client service to Fortune 1000 clients.
In 2009 and in 2012 Mr. West received the Burton Award for Legal Writing Achievement. Mr. West is a frequent speaker and has authored numerous Private Equity and M&A related articles. He is also a regular contributor to Weil’s Global Private Equity Watch.
Mr. West is an Adjunct Professor of Law at SMU Law School and Texas Tech Law School, where he teaches a class on practice skills. He is also on the Board of the Vogel Alcove Foundation, a charitable foundation supporting the work of the Vogel Alcove Childcare Center for the Homeless.