Ms. Kucerik has significant experience in counseling clients through the merger review process at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and U.S. Department of Justice and has obtained antitrust clearance for major, multi-billion dollar transactions in a variety of industries, ranging from pharmaceuticals to aggregates.
Ms. Kucerik also has represented clients in non-merger matters before the antitrust enforcement agencies, securing closing without any enforcement action, and has successfully defended clients in private antitrust litigations, including large class-action, multidistrict suits in various state and federal courts. In addition, she regularly counsels companies on antitrust compliance, including distribution arrangements, competitor collaborations, exclusive dealing arrangements, bundling arrangements, information exchanges, and participation in trade association activities.
Prior to law school, Ms. Kucerik was a paralegal at the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division, where she worked on merger and non-merger investigations in the telecommunications and media industries.
- Represented and obtained antitrust clearance without an extended investigation for Actavis plc, a specialty pharmaceutical company, in its $66 billion acquisition of Allergan, Inc. Subsequently represented Allergan plc in a variety of transactions, including the $2.1 billion acquisition of Kythera Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Represented and secured antitrust clearance without an extended investigation for Signet Jewelers Limited in the company’s $1.4 billion acquisition of Zale Corporation. The acquisition brought together six of the most recognizable jewelry retail brands across three countries: Kay Jewelers, Jared The Galleria Of Jewelry, H.Samuel, Ernest Jones, Zales, and Peoples.
- Secured the dismissal of Hilton Worldwide in a federal multidistrict antitrust class action challenging alleged agreements between online travel companies and hotels regarding the retail prices for online hotel room reservations.
- Represented Johnson & Johnson in its $21.3 billion purchase of Swiss-American orthopedic devices maker Synthes Inc. and negotiated a limited divestiture in order to obtain antitrust clearance across multiple jurisdictions.
- Represented Florida Rock Industries, Inc. and obtained antitrust clearance for the $4.2 billion acquisition of Florida Rock by Vulcan Materials Company by successfully negotiating a settlement that required divestiture of a limited number of aggregates quarries.
- Represented Chrysler in lawsuits brought in both state and federal courts alleging that the automaker had illegally conspired to prevent new vehicles sold in Canada from entering the United States for resale and achieved victory for Chrysler when the federal district court granted summary judgment in favor of all remaining and non-bankrupt defendants, including Chrysler Canada.
- Represented Sherwin-Williams and secured antitrust clearance for its acquisitions of regional paint manufacturers Duron and M.A. Bruder & Sons and its acquisition of Paint Sundry Brands, the manufacturer of Purdy paintbrushes.
Ms. Kucerik received her Juris Doctorate from the University of Virginia School of Law, where she served on the editorial board of the Journal of Law & Politics, and earned her bachelor of arts degree, cum laude, from Duke University.