Brianne Kucerik is a partner in Weil’s Antitrust/Competition practice, which is ranked among the “Global Elite” by Global Competition Review in 2016 and was named Antitrust Firm of the Year by Legal Media Group’s Life Sciences Awards 2016.
Ms. Kucerik specializes in counseling clients through the merger review process at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division and routinely obtains antitrust clearance for major, multi-billion dollar transactions. She has experience across a variety of industries, including healthcare and pharmaceuticals, medical devices, retail, hospitality and leisure, information technology and software, and automotive. Most recently, she secured clearance for Actavis plc’s $66 billion acquisition of Allergan, Inc., multiple subsequent transactions by Allergan plc, and a number of transactions involving well-known retailers.
Ms. Kucerik also has successfully persuaded the antitrust enforcement agencies not to bring enforcement actions in non-merger matters, secured dismissal for clients in private antitrust class action litigations, and counseled clients on general antirust compliance.
Prior to law school, Ms. Kucerik was a paralegal at the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division, where she worked on merger and non-merger investigations in the telecommunications and media industries. Ms. Kucerik is active in antitrust bar activities and serves on the DC Bar Antitrust and Consumer Law Section Steering Committee.
Representative M&A Matters:
- Represented Sanofi in a transaction to exchange Sanofi’s €11.4 billion animal health business and Boehringer Ingelheim’s €6.7 billion consumer healthcare business.
- Secured antitrust clearance for Allergan plc’s $2.1 billion acquisition of Kythera Biopharmaceuticals.
- Obtained antitrust clearance for the $500 million sale of Allergan plc’s Anda distribution business to Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Secured antitrust clearance for Staples, Inc’s sale of Staples Print Solutions to Taylor Communications, Inc.
- Secured antitrust clearance for Signet Jewelers Limited in the company’s $1.4 billion acquisition of Zale Corporation.
- Obtained antitrust clearance for Actavis plc, a specialty pharmaceutical company, in its $66 billion acquisition of Allergan, Inc.
- Represented a major global provider of medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and consumer goods in various high-profile acquisitions.
- Represented Florida Rock Industries, Inc. and obtained antitrust clearance for the $4.2 billion acquisition of Florida Rock by Vulcan Materials Company.
- Secured antitrust clearance for The Sherwin-Williams Company in its acquisitions of regional paint manufacturers Duron and M.A. Bruder & Sons.
Other Representative Matters:
- Secured the dismissal of Hilton Worldwide in a federal multidistrict antitrust class action challenging alleged agreements between online travel companies and hotels regarding the retail prices for online hotel room reservations.
- Represented Chrysler in lawsuits brought in both state and federal courts alleging that the automaker had illegally conspired to prevent new vehicles sold in Canada from entering the United States for resale and achieved victory for Chrysler when the federal district court granted summary judgment in favor of all remaining and non-bankrupt defendants, including Chrysler Canada.
Ms. Kucerik received her Juris Doctorate from the University of Virginia School of Law, where she served on the editorial board of the Journal of Law & Politics, and earned her bachelor of arts degree, cum laude, from Duke University.